Captain Pirate Man

Blue Coat and Red Coat ship MODS

Ok everyone, here is the deal, I want my blue coats and Red Coats to have a proper flagship. Something that is on par with the bigger PIRATE ships. Obviously the 2010 Imperial Flagship is the easy choice. But given the price that it goes for, even trying to get the pieces individually seems quite expensive, I've decided to just forget about it. I was hoping Lego was going to release a blue coat ship this year, but doesn't look promising.

I have been considering going back and getting The Carribean Clipper and the original Imperial Flagship. But tbh, they are small and rather unimpressive. They lack the details that the other ships have. Also considering the prices, The Brick Bounty and Brickbeards Bounty seem to be smarter choices.

So that brings me to my question, what official sets (excluding the 2010 ship) do you guys think make great Imperial Vessels? I have pretty much decided that The Brick Bounty can easily be converted into a Red Coat ship. But the Blue Coats are a little more difficult.

Any thoughts or opinions? What have some of you guys done?

Well... if you want official sets, the old Black Seas Barracuda has been modded into a redcoat ship by lots of people. I suppose you could do something similar for the blues but it might require swapping out some of the "wrong" colors. The 10210 IFS is ridiculously priced by now - I paid twice what it sold for to get mine and they're much higher now. If you don't have the older ships maybe you could combine the later models into something bigger.

Well... if you want official sets, the old Black Seas Barracuda has been modded into a redcoat ship by lots of people. I suppose you could do something similar for the blues but it might require swapping out some of the "wrong" colors. The 10210 IFS is ridiculously priced by now - I paid twice what it sold for to get mine and they're much higher now. If you don't have the older ships maybe you could combine the later models into something bigger.

I figured I would have to swap out some of the red bricks for blue ones, which is fine. I've really been thinking about turning BrickBeards Bounty into a blue coat ship. It's much cheaper to get your hands on than the BSB.

I know a lot of you do lots of really impressive MOCS, maybe some pics could be posted on this thread? Just to give me some ideas.

Edited by Captain Pirate Man

I have thought to turn my Queen Anne's Revenge into a Redcoat frigate/Flagship, cause I really like the sails, no skulls and crossbones, but a rather imperial logo whit crossed swords and a crown at the top. The problem is that I don´t know what to do whit the cabin section of it, as its way too high, and the actual cabin is more like a broom closet whit no door. I also kinda hoped to combine the Brick Bounty sails whit the 2009 Brickbeard´s bounty, But the sails wont match at all, and the Brick Bounty´s sails are..... Well, Horrible made of paper and missing printing on the other side. As of Brickbeard´s bounty had at least some kind of fabric material used and even though not printed at the back, was less obvious. Also the colors don´t match together.

I think that the best way is either making your own desing for the flagships or then just buy whats already there.

Captain Becker

You could use the white hull pieces from LEGO Friend's Dolphin Cruiser to build up a flagship for the bluecoats. A white hulled flagship would make the bluecoats standout from the Redcoats.

You can take the Black Seas Barracuda and swap the sails for Caribbean Cliiper's (you will need an extra pair from another Caribbean Clipper), also give it blue gunports instead of red and change the figurehead's bandana to blue. Done! You have a perfect ship for the bluecoats. I did this a loooong time ago when converting my BSB to a ship for the Spaniards. Here's an old picture of what it looked like:

spanishbsb.jpg

Just put some bluecoat flags on the top instead of the yellow ones I used and man the vessel with some bluecoats. Now you're ready to fight the pirates! pirate_classic.gif

I do have somewhere a very nice BSB bluecoat MOD made by a fellow LUG-member!

I'll try to upload it somewhere this evening :)

The BSB does make a NICE blue coat ship, that's for sure.

And it looks good next to a Caribbean Clipper, after all, when you swap those few elements, the colours of both ships are very similar - brown, black, yellow and blue.

The IFS from 2010 is impressive and a nice model, however now its ridiculously over priced. As others said you can take almost any ship out there and change the colors as well as the sails. But honestly the more you start to mod ships and enjoy that you will later on want to do an MOC ship. However thats what i wanted to do seeing all the amazing ships on this forum.I say of you have some extra hulls look at captain green hairs ship building tutorial and head over to briklink and buy the pieces you need. It will pry be cheaper then trying to buy a BSB or any other ship. And its alot more fun to create your own ship and!

Hello. I also turned my BSB into the blue coat flagship. Here is the picture, the Sails are new from eBay and contains royal blue instead of the lighter original one. 

a7899f-1540357180.jpg

5b6c78-1540357298.jpg

And I think in my opinion the different sails of the Bounty I and II doesn't affect the great look of the Brick Bounty as a red coat ship. I turned both Bountys to red coat ships and they both look awesome in my opinion, for the Brickbeards Bounty I used the BSB Sails and combined the original flags of both ships for the Brick Bounty :

3a33be-1540357434.jpg

6b74cc-1540358230.jpg

But along with my original flagship and the big Flagship the red coats have a real cool fleet. And I know you don't like the price but the 10210 Big Imperial Flagship is worth it. I love the details and the look of that ship. Like most of the newer sets it really looks better in real life than On pictures. But I try to get them beautiful on camera. The older sets look great on every picture:-) don't know why is that but you can't even make a bad picture of the old ships...

5bc261-1540358147.jpg

ea8eb2-1540357814.jpg

So decide what you like best and do it your way. I was thinking of Brickbeards Bounty as a Blue Coat Ship too, but as I had a big blue coat ship the BSB, I was kinda hard to get my own classic from my childhood that I made blue already in 1989, to a red coat one. So I did it with the BBB. Later, after the Big Imperial Ship and the Brick Bounty it was easy to give them all to the red coats as it fitsin a similar style and cabin design, so it looks nice together.

I would love to see how you turned the BBB to a blue coat ship. 

Edited by DonRamon1981
Wrong pics / added some corrected