bootz

(MOC/MOD) 75082 TIE Interceptor and Rebels-style RZ-1 A-wing

20160124_095942.jpg

I think this may be my first real post in this forum, so hello everyone, I'm Brian, aka Bootz. I've recently started seriously collecting SW sets again after a long while of favoring my modular buildings and City sets for my town layout. Last week I purchased the 75082 TIE Advanced prototype with the intention of turning it into an Interceptor (plus I wanted the figs). Since I was snowed in last night, I took it as an opportunity to build the Interceptor I've always wanted but TLG hasn't made in forever.

20160124_095600.jpg

20160124_095628.jpg

20160124_095725.jpg

20160124_094959.jpg

The cockpit is essentially unchanged from the official set, of course I deleted the "Advanced" body to strip it down to just an eyeball, but otherwise I left the design as is. The wings make use of several FO TIE and T-70 polybags that now I don't feel so stupid for buying so many of. The overall shape is as close to the real thing as I wanted to get. They're a tad too long towards the rear but I feel that they look right. The hinges are the same as the Advanced prototype, so there's no chance of them supporting the weight of the model without collapsing, hence the makeshift stand. They do however "click" into place when extended like you see here, and they stay in position while swooshing. With all my builds I aim to retain swooshability and this model is exceptional in that regard. I also kept the missile launchers of the official set with the rotating back of the cockpit as the firing mechanism. It doesn't look great from behind but it's fun to shoot things and the mechanism is very slick to use.

20160124_095804.jpg

20160124_095814.jpg

20160124_095846.jpg

20160124_095910.jpg

My A-wing started as mostly a recolor of the green RZ-1 from the Mon Calamari Cruiser set, but by the time I was done I realize it looked more like the Ralph McQuarrie inspired A-wings seen in Rebels. I'm very pleased with the overall shape, I wanted to capture the rounded hull as best I could while sticking close to the official models and average building techniques. The engines aren't quite accurate, but I instantly loved the way those round pieces looked there.

Haha nice. That's how my Interceptor MOC started out. I just went to the local LEGO shop and used as many Pick-a-brick pieces as I could, before finally cracking open Lego Digital Designer and remaking it from scratch.

Your A-Wing looks pretty good too!

Sure thing, if I can find the time this week I'll make an LDD file for it.

Fantastic, I love the Interceptor. I bought a 2nd 75082 to make into a TIE Advanced, but with the new set coming out, I might mod it into an Interceptor like this. Very cool looking ship; great build!

The prototype is an excellent starting point for TIE MOCs. It's fairly cheap, give you a TIE pilot and Imp officer, and the design of the prototype is easy to turn into a standard ball. Not to mention the prototype isn't even particularly desireable, at least IMO and I say that as a fan of Rebels, so I don't feel like I'm missing out by not having one assembled. I was going to build it as per the instructions and then tear it down, but once I got to the wings and looked at what I already had, it was so meh that I just stripped it down and started the Interceptor wings.

I haven't gotten around to playing with it in LDD yet, if I get a chance tomorrow I'll break some of it down and take pictures though.

I did fiddle with my A-wing tonight however. I've been seeing so many MOCs with the proper wing angle, then between TheNerdyOne's squadron and the release of the official set, I felt it was time to re-design the engines on mine. I kept it simple, though somewhat by chance I ended up with modular engines that can be easily removed and swapped out. They even look pretty good, which again was more a function of trying to use particular pieces and filling gaps, it wasn't exactly intentional but I like it a lot. Of course, the rings on the rear of the engines aren't accurate, but I like the way they look and I think the fit the overall look.

20160216_213314.jpg

20160216_214724.jpg

20160216_213444.jpg

20160216_213348.jpg

20160216_214324.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture quality, I want to take better shots soon.

Edited by bootz