Sign in to follow this  
Captain Genaro

[OL - FB1] The Quay

Dear Sir,

You are hereby directed to attend upon His Majesty's representative Commandant Louis Millet this Sunday at ten after eleven....

With the letter stowed in his coat, Captain Anthony Genaro walked along the all too familiar quay. Being beached for the past months made his mood progressively gloomier, with nothing to do but collect his half-pay and watch more fortunate captains depart for lands unknown. But today Genaro bore no trace of the man who had been ashore the past few months, for (short of a court-martial) this letter could mean only one thing; Genaro had been assigned a ship. The thought of a ship, and the full-pay that accompanied a command, made Genaro a new man. And as he walked along the quay, he couldn't help but glancing over his shoulder at the vast expanse of ocean just beyond the harbor.

23937869363_62a97a7885_z.jpgThe Waterfront by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

An overview

24252182030_1ee6fca07d_z.jpgThe Waterfront by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

A priest of Poseidon sells idols and blessings to sailors

24439468272_9b5eacc678_z.jpgThe Waterfront by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

A fisherman arrives with his morning catch

24465407381_8b1477a9ea_z.jpgThe Waterfront by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

A sacrilegious thief (far right) knocks over some crates of exotic animals in his attempt to escape.

23919557054_6b16a4dda9_z.jpgThe Waterfront by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

An officer says goodbye to his beloved while his bargemen load his sea-chest onto the captain's "barge."

24521600296_2d8ba705b3_z.jpgThe Waterfront by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

More pictures are available on my Flickr, and, as always, comments and criticism are welcome.

Edited by Captain Genaro

That are some lovely facades! I really like them (espevially the one with the brwon roof)!

Really nice build full of life ! I like all those little details ! Is it a snake escaping the crate ?

Great build !

Edited by Faladrin

Excellent scene! I like how there are so many things happening at once :classic:

I had to go to flickr to see everything close-up, I think you might have included a few more pics here as many (including myself) are usually only reading the posts here :wink:

A suggestion for improvement would be to cover up the back side of the facades since the light in the cracks and windows (the darker ones work better in this sense) are hurting the illusion of it being complete buildings.

That are some lovely facades! I really like them (espevially the one with the brwon roof)!

This is a really nice build!

A nice build full of life, people and beautiful facades! I like it!

Great build, as others have said, the building with the brown roof is especially eye-catching with the stones sticking out of it.

Thank you for your kind words. I was a little concerned about the gray building, but I am glad that the rough stonework is being received so well.

Really nice build full of life ! I like all those little details ! Is it a snake escaping the crate ?

Great build !

Yes it is. Some sacrilegious thief knocked over some crates in his attempt to steal an apple. Unfortunately, one of those crates had a snake in it.

Excellent scene! I like how there are so many things happening at once :classic:

I had to go to flickr to see everything close-up, I think you might have included a few more pics here as many (including myself) are usually only reading the posts here :wink:

A suggestion for improvement would be to cover up the back side of the facades since the light in the cracks and windows (the darker ones work better in this sense) are hurting the illusion of it being complete buildings.

Thank you for the suggestions. It's ironic, since I tend to be just like you in that I dislike going offsite to see pictures. I have updated the first post with more pictures.

The cover suggestion seems to be quite simple yet effective. I will be sure to keep that in mind next time I build facades.

Very nice quay Captain Genaro, all the activity lend life to the scene, and as others have mentioned, the brown roofed building in particular is great! pirate_wink.gif A couple of suggestions would be to tile off the tops of the other two roofs and to include a bit more variation in the dark red building, especially on the second story which is a bit flat right now. I'm looking forward to Captain G's journey to the new world soon! pirate_satisfied.gif

Very good scene, and a lovely large layout. The buildings all look pretty good, but the one in the middle has the look more than the others. There's so much going on you have to look really close to avoid missing something. That level of detail is always welcome. The amount of activity is just what I would expect in a setting like this. Good work.

Lovely harbor scene! Lots of activity. I like your photography of the fisherman coming in and the officer saying goodbye to his beloved. The building on the right doesn't quite feel like it fits with the two buildings on the left, but I still the scene overall.Good job!

Nice harbour scene with lots of details. I've seen some good ideas here for a simliar smaller build I'm attempting right now.

Nice looking quayside Captain! pirate_satisfied.gif

I like the life on the quay and there are a lot of nice details, as well as a lot of different subscenes. The red building doesn't seem to fit in perfectly, though - for some reason it looks too modern. I think it is the large, unbroken wall panels and the windows.

I enjoyed the story too - and sure hope it is NOT a court martial he is heading for! pirate_tong.gif

Thank you to everyone for your kind words and advice.

Very nice quay Captain Genaro, all the activity lend life to the scene, and as others have mentioned, the brown roofed building in particular is great! pirate_wink.gif A couple of suggestions would be to tile off the tops of the other two roofs and to include a bit more variation in the dark red building, especially on the second story which is a bit flat right now. I'm looking forward to Captain G's journey to the new world soon! pirate_satisfied.gif

I agree that the roofs could use some work, and I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Lovely quay! Plenty of action and there’s a nice variation in colours

The color variation was more out of necessity than anything else, but I'm glad you like it.

Very good scene, and a lovely large layout. The buildings all look pretty good, but the one in the middle has the look more than the others. There's so much going on you have to look really close to avoid missing something. That level of detail is always welcome. The amount of activity is just what I would expect in a setting like this. Good work.

I tried to make the scene as lively as possible, and I'm really glad that it worked out.

Lovely harbor scene! Lots of activity. I like your photography of the fisherman coming in and the officer saying goodbye to his beloved. The building on the right doesn't quite feel like it fits with the two buildings on the left, but I still the scene overall.Good job!

Personally, I thin the fisherman picture is my favorite. As for the building on the right, it is basically a massive brick warehouse, but I agree that it could use some more detail.

Nice harbour scene with lots of details. I've seen some good ideas here for a simliar smaller build I'm attempting right now.

I look forward to seeing your scene.

Nice looking quayside Captain! pirate_satisfied.gif

I like the life on the quay and there are a lot of nice details, as well as a lot of different subscenes. The red building doesn't seem to fit in perfectly, though - for some reason it looks too modern. I think it is the large, unbroken wall panels and the windows.

I built the red building out of 1x2s hoping it would look like bricks, but it didn't turn out quite as good as I would have liked. I'll have to work on that.

I enjoyed the story too - and sure hope it is NOT a court martial he is heading for! pirate_tong.gif

That makes two of us.

Nice little scene. Good work on making the docks seem busy.

Thank you.