ScottishDave

[MOD] First Order Transporter mod (with LXF)

Inspired by some of the other excellent threads on this forum, I decided to have a go at lengthening my First Order Transporter:

23931368583_15ce0fd2f0_c.jpg

I've added an extra 16 studs, twelve of them in the troop compartment: it can now take a total of twenty stormtroopers.

23931367543_dbd0ff3a10_z.jpg

I have rebuilt a lot of the details:

23931362793_67acd5f398.jpg 24532001636_6ed675cde4.jpg

23930013154_25a8767f64.jpg 23931361403_240d787a6b.jpg

I have also shortened the cockpit and moved it back. It is accurate in profile and still fits a minifig.

24558183375_6e65f8a99d.jpg 24190406159_14725540b4.jpg

Finally, I've lengthened the engines and added some greeblies to the space between them.

24558187175_f9a98eab1a.jpg

Sourcing another 16 stormies was fun but expensive: Battle of Takodana + 2 batle packs + 2 Bricklink orders. Special thanks to our very own Lobot for his rapid and friendly Bricklink service.

Many thanks also to Vodnik, deskp, Veynom & Solscud007 for their inspiration.

If anyone wants to build this mod, I've created a Lego Digital Designer file: (LXF)

This file is slightly different to my "real bricks" version, due to Lego Digital Designer being a crotchety old block. Bonus fun - Spot the differences!

To build the version in the LXF, you will need a 75103 First Order Transporter and about 470 extra parts: (XLS).

Having an extra 75103 on hand (£40 on ebay with no minifigs) cuts that down to 300 parts: (XLS).

It looks great—lots of interesting details, angles, and I love a lot of LBG!

Though after increasing the length, is the width still proportionate?

Also just wondering if you based the total troop capacity off of reference from the movie, cross-sections, or did you just want 20 troops to fit in there?

It looks great—lots of interesting details, angles, and I love a lot of LBG!

Though after increasing the length, is the width still proportionate?

Also just wondering if you based the total troop capacity off of reference from the movie, cross-sections, or did you just want 20 troops to fit in there?

Twenty troops appears to be the canon capacity. All the references agree on this, for example:

http://starwars.wiki..._Assault_Lander

The very best source of information appears to be the from the cross-sections book: a lovely hi-res image can be found here

Also, the Hot Toys 1:6 model was a good source of inspiration

The width of the original set was most definitely NOT proportionate: it was very "chibi".

Unfortunately, I can't find any information on the actual width or height of the transporter: so I cannot answer your question about whether it is exactly proportionate or not. It looks a lot closer to me however.

BTW: the new length makes the modified transporter 1:43 - which, as has been discussed recently in other threads, is in the correct ballpark for "minifig scale".

Edited by ScottishDave

Compared to the cross-sections photo it does look proportionate, as before I was unsure because I barely noticed it in the movie.

Thanks for the other link too—wow that Millennium Falcon is enormous *huh**oh2* (that thing needs its own garage)!

Well what do you know, it doesnt look shitty anymore :laugh:

Great work on that Mod, I can see why Lego made it smaller overall, since its not an important vehicle or special design. But even so, you did make it really appropiate :thumbup:

Truly amazing, i was really motivated about doing it myself but found the base model pretty boring so instead i'm trying to make a more accurate Command Shuttle :laugh:

Since you posted the LXF file i suppose you won't be mad if i steal your plans !

There have been several similar mods already but as it happens, this is the first time I like the look of the vehicle eventually. Great job, you cured nearly all the diseases the original set had (proportions, bulky cockpit, neglected thruster flaps...) ending up with something I wouldn't hesitate to buy.

This looks amazing. I may have to get some more bricks to make this.44.gif

Edited by rkindea

This looks amazing. I may have to get some more bricks to make this.

This looks amazing. I may have to get some more bricks to make this.44.gif

Is there an echo in here...? Thanks chaps. Do let me know how you get on.

Well what do you know, it doesnt look shitty anymore :laugh:

Great work on that Mod, I can see why Lego made it smaller overall, since its not an important vehicle or special design. But even so, you did make it really appropiate :thumbup:

BigEl: That was the intention. Glad you liked it!

There have been several similar mods already but as it happens, this is the first time I like the look of the vehicle eventually. Great job, you cured nearly all the diseases the original set had (proportions, bulky cockpit, neglected thruster flaps...) ending up with something I wouldn't hesitate to buy.

Thank you very much, krisandkris12 - those are the very things I am most happy about :classic: .

Compared to the cross-sections photo it does look proportionate, as before I was unsure because I barely noticed it in the movie.

Thanks for the other link too—wow that Millennium Falcon is enormous *huh**oh2* (that thing needs its own garage)!

Thank you, LiLmeFromDaFuture - I'm glad I've convinced you! :laugh: Any yeah: the Hot Toys stuff is awesome.

I always love you MOD's, very good work, thanks for including the LXF file.

I like that overhead shot of the stormtroopers, reminds me of the opening shot of TFA :)

This is probably thee best looking Transporter mod extension I've seen. Loved how the cockpit was shrunk from that oversize unproportionate version Lego designed. I understand Lego's intentions was to make an easy in easy out cockpit for the minifigure, but it almost destroys the appearance of the assault lander.

Had to take the cockpit redesign and apply to my transporter. Now if only I was able to access the LXF file.

Edited by Green Rey

I can't quite work out what you mean - I'm guessing that English is not your native language.

The links work fine, and the files are still there.

Have fun.

I can't quite work out what you mean - I'm guessing that English is not your native language.

The links work fine, and the files are still there.

Have fun.

Are you replying to me? hahah well technically it wasn't my first language but I've been speaking it for pretty much my whole life. I tend to shift my words around but whatever.

Anyway, I'm not able to access the LXF because I'm on a phone. I currently dont have a working computer and its a shame because I want to build this pronto.

Are you replying to me?

Sorry, no - I was replying to the other guy, Xunner drifter... to be honest, I hadn't spotted your post, which explains his question: my apologies to you both...

Your written English is just fine. Thank you for your kind comments. It sucks not having a working computer - I hope you get it sorted out soon.

This by far is one of the coolest underrated ships of TFA. The stock version was way too short. This mod is really great because its a necessity to hold a ton of troops. Not just 4. lol

Now that's more like it! It looks pretty accurate to the movie and the sight of so many stormtroopers lined up like that is very pleasing to the eye.

Sorry

I'm new to the LDD scene,

I thought the link was to just another site that you had the instructions. I have now discovered that its a program that I need to download on my computer.

And yes I speak English, I'm from Texas.

I hope to build this awesome model soon.

Thank you for the awesome job.

Hey ScottishDave, I just finished building your MOC last night, and I actually only bought this set after seeing this thread. As someone who just got back into Lego a few months ago, it was pretty challenging to use LDD, though your design was great. I love the overhaul you've given the transporter, and it's funny to look at the original build afterwards.

Speaking of LDD, do you have any tips for using it more efficiently? I'm fairly certain I built the entire thing top to bottom using the "build" instructions - which was very difficult, and had to take huge sections off when I realised the differences between your pictures and the LXF. I also kind of randomly inserted the technic pins in the adjacent technic beams in the back, and I probably also added a few more random plates to balance things out inside. Also, I needed more pieces from BrickLink than in your spreadsheet file, but this could be my fault for not checking everything properly. And as you said, it was fun matching your pictures with the LDD build as I noticed a good number of changes just on the surface, some of which look better in the LDD (like the wedges at the back roof).

In the end though, this was my first ever Lego build outside of the original stock instructions, and it looks awesome. I even got my 3-year-old's help to fit 20 stormtroopers (a nice mix of FO and OT) into the thing, with Captain Phasma at the helm and Kylo Ren in the little pop-out seat!

Thanks for the great build, and inspiration!