Captains personal log, 35th day, New Terra Expd.,

48o 43'' 15' E, 68o 23'' 36'; off unknown Island

In a few minutes, we shall embark the jolly-boat and go investigate that curious cove from whence the natives came. It is odd how things turn out - When Montoya first approached me with the offer I was quite shocked. To leave the Queens Service for a personal, scientific expedition!

Had not the Crown itself sanctioned the expedition, I should never have left the service! However, I must admit that being under the command of none but my closest friend does instill a certain degree of freedom. No royal yard to question my decisions on rigging, no overzealous armory commander questioning my choice of armament, or the barrels of powder used in gunnery practise... I never quite fathomed how rigid the service really was, I suppose.

Of course, the ship being the Athena did spur my motivation, even though she was in a sorry old state when Montoya bought her from the lists... Condition regardless, she was my very first command, and one never forgets one's first command!

'Tis good she was completely refitted, and I must say she has responded well to the efforts.

I shall never forget the first time I saw her again, after being decomissioned from the Royal Navy. Lying there at the shipyard, waiting to have her masts removed. Never there was a more beautiful sight...

23931516723_f4186cec84_c.jpg

I had to try Gideon's forced perspective thingy! :pir-grin:

I am not entirely happy with the amount of blur in the background, but blurring it more didn't really seem to answer.

Looking forward to hearing what you think - if you like it (and are not a corlander), please approve, as it is my third freebuild this month.

I approve! That's... That's... That's... Amazing seems so small a word!

Very nice build Bregir, nice to see someone else attempt this! I know you said that blurring it more didn't seem to help but I can't help thinking that it would have. pirate_laugh2.gif I really like the castle in the background! thumbup.gif

Wow ! Really nice forced perspective !

I like it ! Probably a little more blurry would be good but I don't know what it could have done. Do you have a photo of more blur try ?

Ofc, I approve.

Reeeeeally nice and inventive! Way to go Bregir! The buildings look suberb from afar and so do the sky and the ship! :)

+1 from Oleon

Not bad, not bad at all. A little more blur might have been better.

But theme layout and design of the landscape is very good.

Excellent micro/forced perspective my friend. The overall composition is lovely although I agree a little less focus on the background would be better. I especially like the ship, the white and tan structures, and the trees; and of course the figure on horseback is well-placed to demonstrate the concept. Good work.

I believe I am cleared to grant an approval.

It's a good attempt, and you shouldn't feel down if it not entirely successful. What you're embarking on is more than just MOC-ing, its a professional level of photography as well. I like the use of "headlight" bricks for windows. They seem to work best on the mission (white building) in the middle.

My advice:

The trouble isn't with focus at all. Though a narrower depth of field couldn't hurt, it would be best approached during capture rather than in editing. Before worrying about that you should revisit composition and lighting first. For one your primary subject isn't prominent enough. Try moving him closer to the camera and in to at least the first third division of the frame. (An over-the-shoulder shot wouldn't seem like a bad idea). Also, too many of the same colors appear in both the fore and background for it to be immediately clear that it's not all one field. Try using lighter colors in the background and darker in the foreground. Finally, use more than one light source. More direct light on your primary subject will pull it out towards the viewer while softer/diffused light will help the background blend. 

Well that's just my two cents from the thousands I blew on college. Hope it helps, have fun.

Thank you all for your feedback. It would have been an advantage to have the foreground in colours more distinct from the background.

Another issue with the depth of field is the depth of the background. It will have a different degree of blurriness, and more than what is explainable by differences in distance.

As requested, a photo with a different depth of field:

24621669366_721c91bc20_c.jpg

I like this new one better! thumbup.gif Both are good, but this helps draw attention to the guy on horseback a little bit more!

I also think the updated pic sells the concept more convincingly. The figure on horseback seems more prominent now.