mccoyed

Best Glue for Lego?

Hi guys. I know it's blasphemy but I have to use some glue for a commissioned Lego build and I've never done it before. There's some mixed information on the internet, with most people saying that it depends on whether you want the bond to be permanent, literally melting/fusing the pieces together, or if you're okay with somewhat lower "permanence". This is what I have so far:

MEK-based glues

-used by Master Builders for store displays and big models

-toxic

-probably difficult to apply

-best bond

Gorilla Glue/Krazy Glues

-easier to use

-cheap

-good bond, but can be undone with enough force/persistence

Water-soluble glues (Elmer's, etc)

-easiest, cheapest, least toxic

-won't hold forever/very well

Anyone have any experience with this? I want to avoid using anything too time-consuming/difficult to apply or handle. Right now my preference is something like krazy glue because of this. Mainly, the model just needs to survive being shipped and won't be handled much when it reaches its destination. The client plans to display it and it won't be exposed to weather or anything like that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The "Kragle," I mean Krazy Glue :grin:, is a sufficient option!

I'll put it this way, I lost quite a bunch of pieces trying to revive them after I decided to completely abstain from using glue—some parts of the mold melded to the part of the piece it was interlocked to, and as a result both pieces were now loss :laugh: And that incident occurred on several occasions :hmpf_bad:

They will only come undone if you don't use it in the right places, or if you intentionally mean to separate them—like after you regretted doing so (as I did) :wink:

So bottom line, Kragle/Krazy Glue is pretty efficient :thumbup:

Edited by LiLmeFromDaFuture

Krazy Glue with air bags and/or foam peanuts may be sufficient for what you want to do. Try some courier abusive drop tests before mailing it out. :classic:

I've never glued LEGO and hope I never have to, but I used to be into fantasy miniatures including ones that required assembly, so have some experience of gluing plastic kits.

You need to be careful to ventilate the cyanoacrylates for a long time: days or even weeks. If you don't, the vapours from the adhesive will settle on the surface of the plastic removing its sheen, leaving a matte effect. I believe that Krazy Glue is a cyanoacrylate. I haven't used that brand, but I would be cautious if gluing LEGO with it and then keeping it in a confined space.

Noooo!! Don't do it!!

Or use Kragle. It was in the LEGO movie so I guess you have an excuse here.

If you must glue your Legos (shame on you! :P ) then I'd recommend super glue in gel form. As Wardancer said, the liquid stuff seems to have a mind of its own.

I only know this from other hobbies (why anyone would want to use glue on Lego is beyond me), but for what it's worth...

MEK based glues are the only ones that will permanently bond the bricks and its easy to apply, dries quickly, and smells good (don't be fooled; it's carcinogenic). Just buy any MEK based liquid cement for styrene (e.g. Plastruct orange label).

Cyano will hold it, but the bond weakens and can break when it gets hot (sun) or if subjected to shock loads (dropped).

Forget water based stuff - it won't work.

Guys, thanks for all the advice but I did say that gluing the Lego wasn't my idea.

As a note regarding glues, make sure when shopping for MEK based glues that it specifically states for "ABS Plastic" as poly polystyrene commonly found in the modeling world is not the same. If you try with a polystyrene glue you will find rather quickly that it does not work.

Besides, vintage parts which like to break need re-welding if they are going to be of any use. Band-aid approaches won't work.

3D LEGO

If you are in the UK or Europe, a new glue is being released aimed at Kids and specifically for toys; Mega Bloks, Playmobil, Kinex and Lego etc to enhance play and handling for delicate sets and builds. 

It is aimed at preserving the integrity of not permanently gluing Lego, and not damaging it.  It is primarily designed for use by kids, as it is not permanent, it is temporary and removable in water, and is strong enough to hold the majority of sets together when dropped,  and allow young kids to play with sets that would otherwise crumble with a bit of hard play. 

You can find it at www.blocklockglue.com

Edited by alovelydayforshopping
spelling!