kzv

12V layout

Hi All,

I've got limited space and have tried different layouts to get most out of my table.

Here's the latest version:

24492654086_5034bfc615_c.jpg

The "outer" ring will be raised like it's done in 7777, that's why it's stops in the above picture...

Only have a few sets I really want to have in the layout:

* 7866 - Remote Controlled Road Crossing

* 7823 - Container Crane Depot

* 7834 - Level Crossing Manual

* Some train stations etc ;-)

Any comment's/idea?

K.

Hi K.,

in order to give any meaningful advice, I would need to know what plans you have with your layout. What are the primary and secondary goals you want to reach?

One thing I could figure out by now: The road crossing on the right does not make much sense, as it seems to lead nowhere...

Another thing is, that the presented layout might be good for running trains in loops, but if you like shunting, you should try to place the according yards within your reach (i.e. within 0.7 m of the front of the table).

Regards

Christian

Thanx Xris for you feedback.

My goals are:

1. To use at least what I have listed

2. Have separate loops where the different train can stop, while other can pass

3. "Town" divided into different areas (see picture below)

4. HAVE FUN :-D

Here's a more detailed plan including "town" elements:

24451246031_831b467158_o.jpg

I have tried to divided the layout in 3 different zones:

1: Industrial area

2. Recreational area

3. Living/residence area

PS! I have access around the whole table (that's one of the reasons it's not bigger)...

rgds

Kjetil

Hi Kjetil,

PS! I have access around the whole table (that's one of the reasons it's not bigger)...

That's great!

You write that you want to have trains overtake and cross each other. For this, you need at least 1 station with at least 2 tracks. But you do not need 2 1/2 loops unless you want to run 2 trains independently without an operator. If you would reduce to 1 closed loop with a "main station" and a branch line with a dead-end station, you could save some space allowing for a private siding within your industrial area - and for more convincing, larger buildings throughout your layout.

You could also design the raised part of the layout to mimic an elevated urban railway with a typical stop station or even small through station to allow for train crossings.

Regards

Xris

I also got a layout with a raised crossing, The first track i raised only one plate, after that 2 plates per track, to get a smoother ride .Because my trains with wagons had to much trouble to make the climb. I also had to isolated the track where the train goes up, powered by its own transformer. so i could give the train climbing more power. But my motors are of the old type of the blue era. Also had to make the curves without a increase, had to much trouble with them when they where raised. Really love your trackplan, lots of options to drive several trains. I made one long lope with some options to take a short route. The track going down can be steeper, but look out for the curves, because your train while gains speed and derail in curves if your going to fast. Depending one what kind of trains your using i would try to get more space between the tracks. I like steam engines and the are 8+ wide and they jut out (don't know if this is the right translation) on the front of the train in curves. This is my layout,

11969296894_b0e6c8e707.jpg

My trains drive counterclockwise. The light green is raised, climbing curves are flat. As you can see i need a lot of space to get the train high enough.

Maybe this wil give you some ideas, I made my layout on the ground, so i can walk over it, this way i could make a bigger layout :sweet: .

Have lots of fun building your layout, looking forward to see pictures of your advancements.

Thanx Xris and Edwin!

I really appreciate your comments and tips! I'll see what I incorporate of your comments into my layout ;-)

In general, I have to many tracks and train set and to little space :-(

K.