Doctor Octoroc

LEGO Architecture "World's Tallest" Custom Series

Another from in Shenzhen, China - SEG Plaza. This was a tricky one to get just right and the antenna still falls short of the exact height it should be but since it's on the corner and not the middle of the building, I had to get creative with the joint and the 4L bar was too long so I went with the 3L instead.

25242852683_328ced7be4_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

Two more finished! I was on a roll today and I think from now on I'll be doing two at a time. The Aon Center in Chicago, IL United States is the next in descending order in the "tallest' main series while the Mercury City Tower in Moscow, Russia is a little further down but I spotted it awhile back and have been wanting to have a go at it so I jumped on it as soon as it popped up in the diagram of world's tallest!

25779972781_8752632b12_z.jpg 25754125422_5d1f75027e_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

This one was a lot of fun - similar to the Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel in the sense that the side towers are on an angle but instead of implementing hing plates they are rotated at an angle on the base. The tricky part was the shorter center section which involved some shuffling around of tiles on the sides of the main towers to fill in the gaps.

25925107655_515e2c3c0c_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

Great job! Keep them coming :D

Thanks! Will do!

So I'm 3/4 of the way to 100 sets, which was my original goal. I'll probably keep going after that but I wanted to get some opinions from everyone who has chimed in thus far on the thread...

I had tentatively planned to put together a Kickstarter once I hit 100 models, the goal amount of which would be what it would cost to build all of them myself, then any extra funding would go towards designing/building additional sets - however many the extra would cover. That way it would be a shared cost between a lot of people and someone could get their hands on sets of instructions for as low as a $5 donation. So I guess what I'm wondering is, do people like that idea? If I was to put together a KS once I hit 100 models and had varying levels of rewards, who would be interested in funding that to get their hands on some instructions for their own builds? I would probably break the rewards down as follows (no prices listed, just general rewards per tier level):

1) Standard thank you plus instructions for any set under 50 pieces.

2) Access to any one set of instructions.

3) Access to any five sets of instructions.

4) Access to any ten sets of instructions.

5) Access to any 25 sets of instructions.

6) Access to all 100 sets of instructions.

7) Access to all 100 sets of instructions, plus instructions for any additional models that are put together with additional funding.

8) A physical set with printed booklet and all pieces needed for set of choice under 100 pieces.

9) A physical set with printed booklet and all pieces needed for set of choice under 200 pieces.

10) A physical set with printed booklet and all pieces needed for set of choice under 400 pieces.

11) A physical set with printed booklet and all pieces for any set of choice, plus a custom box, all in the standard LEGO Architecture style

12) Instructions for a custom designed model of any structure in the world up to 1000 pieces.

13) A physical set for a custom designed model of any structure in the world up to 1000 pieces complete with printed booklet, custom box and all pieces needed to build the model.

Or something like that. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

I made my own Taj Mahal in Architecture style.

I put it in this week as a Lego idea project. Have a look maybe you can support me.

and share it with you friends

[snip]

So I'm 3/4 of the way to 100 sets, which was my original goal. I'll probably keep going after that but I wanted to get some opinions from everyone who has chimed in thus far on the thread...

7) Access to all 100 sets of instructions, plus instructions for any additional models that are put together with additional funding.

8) A physical set with printed booklet and all pieces needed for set of choice under 100 pieces.

9) A physical set with printed booklet and all pieces needed for set of choice under 200 pieces.

10) A physical set with printed booklet and all pieces needed for set of choice under 400 pieces.

11) A physical set with printed booklet and all pieces for any set of choice, plus a custom box, all in the standard LEGO Architecture style

12) Instructions for a custom designed model of any structure in the world up to 1000 pieces.

13) A physical set for a custom designed model of any structure in the world up to 1000 pieces complete with printed booklet, custom box and all pieces needed to build the model.

Sounds great, although I'd advise limiting the choices: as a member of the venture capital field, my experience shows that too many slices fosters indecision since you are nuance-stepping to a detailed audience. That said, I will be pleased to purchase number 7 and then engage you on number 11 and/or 13. And you probably have an idea of which buildings I might request. ;)

Cheers.

Thanks! Will do!

I had tentatively planned to put together a Kickstarter once I hit 100 models, the goal amount of which would be what it would cost to build all of them myself, then any extra funding would go towards designing/building additional sets - however many the extra would cover. That way it would be a shared cost between a lot of people and someone could get their hands on sets of instructions for as low as a $5 donation. So I guess what I'm wondering is, do people like that idea? If I was to put together a KS once I hit 100 models and had varying levels of rewards, who would be interested in funding that to get their hands on some instructions for their own builds? I would probably break the rewards down as follows (no prices listed, just general rewards per tier level):

Or something like that. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I like the idea a lot. My only concern is that you are dealing with a pretty small market so you should be careful with your goals you set. Your work is awesome and I hope it continues to receive support!

Sounds great, although I'd advise limiting the choices: as a member of the venture capital field, my experience shows that too many slices fosters indecision since you are nuance-stepping to a detailed audience. That said, I will be pleased to purchase number 7 and then engage you on number 11 and/or 13. And you probably have an idea of which buildings I might request. ;)

Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback, that's helpful. I agree that there are too many choices, I'll probably simplify that as much as possible - probably to 5 levels of rewards total. I like to give options but you have a point, people generally become indecisive with too many options and would rather make none rather than the 'wrong one'.

I like the idea a lot. My only concern is that you are dealing with a pretty small market so you should be careful with your goals you set. Your work is awesome and I hope it continues to receive support!

That's why my goal is only going to be what it would cost for me to build them. I also have a few contacts on tech and geek blogs around the web so I can usually find a few interested parties to post about it on sites like Joystiq, Kotaku, Nerdist, etc. I'm not too worried about hitting goals to be honest, I'm more concerned with making this worth it to the people that help fund the project.

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

Two more for the series, up to 80 models now! Both very fun models. Kingdom Centre took some time to get just right and I finally found a sound method for lining up the front and back halves using a combination of side studded bricks on one side and brackets on the other.

25714385030_b3e376b4e6_z.jpg 25382216214_4ec5508f1d_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

Another pair finished - the Bank of America Tower in New York, NY United States and First Canadian Place in Toronto, Canada. I'm going to browse the thread for more requests since I've banged out a good number of "World's Tallest" structures over the past week.

25414874094_4bb341f6b4_z.jpg 25953223741_8c49beb3d1_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

Nice work!

Minor nitpick: the SEG plaza (post 151) is in Shenzhen, not Guangzhou.

Ah, right you are! I was putting together instructions for multiple files at that time, must have gotten confused since SEG is in Shenzhen, Guangdong province, China. It's fixed!

As promised, another request! This one took awhile to get right - eventually, I used hinge plates to reverse the direction of studs in order to make the tower as thin as I wanted but still have ample contact points for all of the angled slopes.

25782599170_40ac59006e_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

I feel honoured, and am glad our humble Australian effort was a challenge for your skills - hopefully it was satisfying. Hey, did you realise you've now completed 1/6 Australian states!! Only five to go! Could be a little less demanding than that other project of yours ;)

I feel honoured, and am glad our humble Australian effort was a challenge for your skills - hopefully it was satisfying. Hey, did you realise you've now completed 1/6 Australian states!! Only five to go! Could be a little less demanding than that other project of yours ;)

Haha, that's a tempting proposition. At this point, I would well surpass the 100 model mark with just the rest of the 50 US states alone so that might have to be a series to save the bulk of it for later.

Nicely done! I think my favorite is the Taipei 101 :classic:

Thanks!

Quick update - I've drafted up the Kickstarter and am getting some opinions from friends - if anyone wants to take a look at a preview and give feedback send me a message and I'll send you the link. I'm manly looking for engagement factor - if the copy keeps you interested and the campaign itself seems legit!

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

Two more for the series - only 4 left before I hit 90 models and publish the Kickstarter! By request, i did the Commerzbank Tower in Frankfurt, Germany - a challenging build due to the scale, detail and overall shape. The second is the East Pacific Center.

25522059014_2bc819977c_z.jpg 26100899136_bb82c3227e_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

I decided to take another stab at the Shanghai World Financial Center since I've learned a few more techniques along the way.

23892946933_bb382d7e02_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc