Sign in to follow this  
Lindulan

[LDD MOC] Around the Campfire

Hello! This is my first MOC, created a few months ago using LDD. The idea is an adventuring party has set up camp for the night, and while the members make their preparations for the journey ahead, the bard plays by the fire to entertain them.

I hope to build this scene "in the brick" one day, and I know there are several things I want to change already. But what I'd love is to hear from some of the expert MOCers here on ideas to improve. Please, feel free to rip it to shreds - you can't hurt my feelings. I'm just looking for ways to improve my skills.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Lindulan

24377146652_84a213840a_b.jpgAround the Campfire by Lindulan Halcyon, on Flickr

Very nice LDD mod. The landscape is well developed with diverse foliage- I really like the prickly looking evergreen tree/bush, which is very unique next to the more standard but very full deciduous tall tree. My only criticism is directed towards the far left side of the MOC. It's difficult to tell what is going on over there- is that bushes on rock work? Or some kind of tree? The grey bricks holding up the foliage are throwing me off. Otherwise it's a good scene, with a nice-looking campfire and crew to hangout with.

Otherwise it's a good scene, with a nice-looking campfire and crew to hangout with.59.gif

Edited by heinane

My only criticism is directed towards the far left side of the MOC. It's difficult to tell what is going on over there- is that bushes on rock work? Or some kind of tree? The grey bricks holding up the foliage are throwing me off.

Thank you for the feedback! I used grey for the limbs of the birch tree, but I should have used smaller pieces - I don't think they'd distract quite as much in real life as they do in LDD, but yeah, it's an ugly mess over there. The birch tree is behind the cracked boulder (which also needs more work...), and behind the birch are a couple of small bushes and a dead tree that you can't really see from this angle. My goal was to give the impression they are on the edge of a dense forest, but LDD doesn't really let you overlap foliage enough for that...

Thanks again!

Lovely but I'm not a fan of how you did the grass stem (assuming) pine trees, would prefer something like this myself 1315847933m_THUMB.jpg

Different kind of fir tree, I think, but I agree yours looks much better. I could probably fit a couple more in the scene, too. I just have to figure out how to make them...