Hi all!

I am notice that Knights Kingdom character "Vladek" is a pun from the phrase "vlad dick." But just now notice this clever play on words. Are any other characters have puns that you know of? Example: "Rascus" is "rascal"

Any favorites?

I think Vladek was more of a simple spinoff of Vlad, or Vladimir. It's just a scary name. Vlad the Impaler, Vladimir Putin, Vlad Vlad Vlad.

It sounds funny when you say it a lot though. Everyone say Vlad!

Harry Cane from Adventurers - Hurricane

Achu from Adventurers. It sounds like he's sneezing.

Jing Lee from Adventurers. Sounds like she's jingling.

The Atlantis characters have quite a few aquatic themed names. Jeff Fisher. Bobby.

The Agents villains were practically designed around puns. Dr. D. Zaster, Dyna-Mite, SpyClops, Dollar Bill, etc.

Xtreme Stunts Pepper Roni.

A bit of a stretch, but Monster Fighter's Quinton Steele could sound like Flint and Steele.

Pharaoh's Quest heroes all had meteorology related names.

The LEGO Movie has Dr. McScrubbs, Executron, Chef Gordon Zola (My favorite), Kebab Bob, and others.

The Power Miner's Rock Monsters all had geology related names.

Space Police III has Brick Daddy, and P. Squiddy.

Nexo Knights and Ninjago have puns out the wazoo.

Chima just has puns out the zoo. Pun intended.

And best of all, Vladek! Vlad Vlad Vlad Vlad Vlad!

I think Vladek was more of a simple spinoff of Vlad, or Vladimir.

What he said. I don't think there was anything else to the name Vladek.

As for the puns, only one I can remember of from the second Forestmen theme, Dark Forest. Name of their leader is Rob N. Hood.

What he said. I don't think there was anything else to the name Vladek.

Did you try saying it a lot? It's actually fun.

Vlad Vlad Vlad. It's so weird. Vladek isn't as fun.

"Vlad you could make it," I'd say to my buddy Vlad, if I had one.

Intentional? :laugh:

Can't believe I missed this.

Yep! P. Squiddy is an anthropomorphized cephalopod P. Diddy.

I think the Pharohs Quest Minifigures were something Homage of the Johnny Thunder :)

But still Meteorology related. As were some Adventurers names.

Charles Lighting, Gail Storm, etc.

Vladek is a real name. I had a teachers aid in geology class in college named Vladek Lobza. He was from Poland.

Intentional? :laugh:

Can't believe I missed this.

I can't believe I missed it either. They are so much like the same person.

Vladek is a real name. I had a teachers aid in geology class in college named Vladek Lobza. He was from Poland.

Did he go by Vlad?

EDIT: Are you certain he exists? I just googled "Vladek Lobza" and NOTHING came up. Nothing. Absolutely zero search results.

Edited by Actor Builder

The name was Squidman, not P Squiddy, but it was referenced as a nickname somewhere, don't remember where.

Did he go by Vlad?

EDIT: Are you certain he exists? I just googled "Vladek Lobza" and NOTHING came up. Nothing. Absolutely zero search results.

I am absolutely certain of his name. He was an unforgettable kind of guy. Super intense. Looked like a skinhead. Dressed like Johnny Rotten. Loved rocks.

The part I am less certain of is how his name is spelled. If you read what I typed in a Texan accent, it sounds like how he said it. I could be way off though on that spelling. KK came out only a few years after I took that class and I distinctly remember making that connection, assuming they named the villain after a Polish geologist, lol.

SirBlake, after a lot of research (I have no life) on this "Vladek", I have found this:

There is a geologist living in Houston, Texas with the name "Vadec Lobza".

Vadec M. Lobza, to be precise.

I believe he was at the University of Texas at Arlington?

Is that the guy?

Sorry for the ridiculous conversation, I just need closure when it comes to these sorts of things.

Vladek ("WÅ‚adek" in Polish) is also a diminutive form of Polish equivalent of Vladimir (WÅ‚odzimierz). In Russian it's Volodia.

The thing I like is the so-called tuckerisation - using and anagramming someone's name to create new name - like the aforementioned Rob N. Hood.

As mentioned above, Vladek is a real name. I guess it was meant to be a play on Vlad the impaler, but I still wonder why they chose the -ek suffix. As Immo said above, its a diminutive or hypochoristic form, which takes all the scariness out of the name for any Slavic language speaker. Its like naming a villain "Timmy".

As for any other punny names, to keep it Castle-related, how about Weezil from KK1.

And I wonder whether Achu, apart from being a pun on sneezing, was also meant to reference Machu Pikchu.

SirBlake, after a lot of research (I have no life) on this "Vladek", I have found this:

There is a geologist living in Houston, Texas with the name "Vadec Lobza".

Vadec M. Lobza, to be precise.

I believe he was at the University of Texas at Arlington?

Is that the guy?

Sorry for the ridiculous conversation, I just need closure when it comes to these sorts of things.

Hahah, WOW! I bow to your superior Google skills. It's going to be hilarious the next time he googles himself. You are absolutely right. My apologies for my memory failing and adding an "L" where it shouldn't have been.

Dr. Brainstein is a pretty obvious one, as is Psyclone. Chase McCain, considering his constant pursuit of criminals.

And don't forget Drillex!

uagt027.jpgSkrillex-008.jpg

Elves has some, too.

Farran- fern, fairy

Naida- anagram of "naiad", Ancient Greek water nymphs

Hahah, WOW! I bow to your superior Google skills. It's going to be hilarious the next time he googles himself. You are absolutely right. My apologies for my memory failing and adding an "L" where it shouldn't have been.

YES! I did it! I found the Geologist!

Is this topic just for punny names in historic themes, or in general?

Back in the 90s most character names weren't standardized, so they'd get different names from each regional marketing team. The American names from the LEGO Mania Magazines often included puns. The Adventurers' names were good examples... as mentioned above, the American names were all weather puns. Later on, when the names were standardized across all languages, some of the Adventurers started using names from other regions of the world which were not puns... so for instance, Dr. Charles Lightning became Dr. Kilroy, and Gail Storm became Pippin Reed. However, Johnny Thunder and Harry Cane kept their American names.

Ogel is obviously a pun (it's LEGO backwards). The original Alpha Team names were also puns for each agent's area of expertise. Dash was the motion expert, Flex the ropes expert, Cam the motors expert, Radia the lasers expert, Charge the electronics expert, and Crunch the explosives expert. Their robot buddy Tee Vee was literally a walking TV set.

The vast majority of Ninjago bad guy names are puns. Bonezai, Chopov, Spitta, Fangtom, General Cryptor, Kapau, Howla, Cyren, etc. Even some supporting characters have punny names, like Cyrus Borg and P.I.X.A.L.

Chima characters have theme naming (the first letter or first two letters of their names tend to correspond to what tribe they're from), but not all of them would really qualify as puns. Some certainly would, though, like Crooler or Mungus.

A lot of the main characters of LEGO Nexo Knights have puns for names too. The main knights' names are puns for their signature weapons: Clay Moorington (claymore), Macy Halbert (mace), Lance Richmond (lance), Aaron Fox (arrows), and Axl (axe). Jestro is obviously a jester, and a lot of the lava monster names are puns. The wizard Merlok's name is a play on "Merlin" and "Warlock".

Edited by Aanchir

Is this topic just for punny names in historic themes, or in general?

I think this thread is all inclusive. Heck, we located a 60 year old geology grad student to figure out how common the name Vlad is. It didn't help with that...

A lot of the main characters of LEGO Ninjago have puns for names too. The main knights' names are puns for their signature weapons...

I think you may just mean Nexo Knights. But who cares? They're pretty much the same storyline anyway.

I think you may just mean Nexo Knights. But who cares? They're pretty much the same storyline anyway.

Fixed. Though, to be frank, the Ninjago and Nexo Knights stories are actually very, very different. Ninjago's story has more in common with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic than it has with Nexo Knights. The only things they really have in common are that both are character-driven science-fantasy stories that make use of extremely common tropes (like a team of youthful color-coded protagonists with an older mentor character).

Edited by Aanchir