Captain Pirate Man

Whats the deal with the 2015 pirates line?

What I mean is, this line seemed to leave the shelves pretty quickly, especially The Brick Bounty. My question is why? It can only mean 1 of 2 things, either it was selling great (which if that's the case, why not another wave?) Or 2, it didn't perform very well. Which of that's the case, why can't we buy the sets from the web site still at least?

What got me thinking about it was, for MONTHS The Brick Bounty seemed to be fully stocked in every store. Then all the sudden, it became hard to find. Almost like they got pulled from the shelves. Which again, if that's the case why can't we buy them online still?

I'm just trying to understand the logic here, if they are indeed in abundance in some warehouse, why not still sell them. I understand taking them off the market increases their value, but that doesn't really do much for lego, because they don't sell them once retired. Unless they actually sold quite well, which again, why not get another wave then?

Any thoughts???

Edited by Captain Pirate Man

I don't have many thoughts, but I'm surprised to see the sets nearing the end of their life when they've only been available for, what, all of 9 months or so? Things come and go so fast anymore. I have no idea how they sold overall, but at Christmas the shelves in my area just about got cleared (and no, I wasn't the one doing the clearing!) I just thought they would've been available in stores for at least a year but that doesn't seem to be the case... although TRU has been putting out a few at a time marked 20% off. I can't make full sense of it all beyond the arrival of the new stuff.

Sadly, Welcome to the modern buyer's world. Everything now has a shorter shelf life... They push you to buy fast because at the back of your mind you know you wont find them in a month or so. Especially since we are talking about a quality and loved product. Minifigures series anyone?? :-)

But you can still find some Hobbit sets in shelves at TRU, and they are at least 1 year older. If memory serves, they didn't do that great either. Honestly was TBB even available for 1 Christmas?

I guess the new Ninjago theme shot the bullet to end the Pirates life, even it was so shortly.

I asked in a local market when the Pirates line would be on discount, but they couldn't answer me. There were 2 of each set left and I think 3 TBB's.

In another story there was even less left (except for also 3 TBB's). I bought the last shipwreck defense (that set with 2 minifigs and a cannon) in order to be sure I still had it. I wanted to wait till discount but like Blackdeathgr pointed out, you have to buy fast nowadays in order to be sure to have it all...

An interesting spin on this. I saw rumors elsewhere that Ninjago would be fighting pirates. I'm holding a Lego (set 30421) Skybound plane. Cool looking pirate with a plane full of great parts; two swords, two pistols, anchor and ships wheel. I picked it up at Legoland Florida this morning.

Here in Poland, not so long ago I saw a few 2015 Pirate sets stll available in a supermarket, including several Brick Bounties. But that was just one shop among many, generally they are long gone from the shelves.

IMHO perhaps that's due to what blackdeathgr mentioned as well. Welcome to the modern world where everything is fast paced. Unfortunately not too many Pirates love over here in Malaysia...

I have both the 2015 line as well as the beloved Wave 1 & Wave 2 Pirate sets. The 2015 sets don't evoke the same kind of nostalgic feelings as the original Wave 1 & 2 sets :)

IMHO perhaps that's due to what blackdeathgr mentioned as well. Welcome to the modern world where everything is fast paced. Unfortunately not too many Pirates love over here in Malaysia...

I have both the 2015 line as well as the beloved Wave 1 & Wave 2 Pirate sets. The 2015 sets don't evoke the same kind of nostalgic feelings as the original Wave 1 & 2 sets :)

In order for a Wave to feel loved, it must have originality, an impulse set and above all, a "flagship" set. And by flagship i don't necessarily mean a ship (or a rehearsal of an older one) rather than a (medium to big sized) intriguing build that despite all criticism, if any, really stands out and gives color to that wave. Something like Eldorado fortress or Imperial trading post or even what 6253 was to the 2009's pirate line. Or Islanders sets even better. A think-out-of-the-box kind of set. I hope that next time TLG gets a manager to coordinate pirates line designers, will think of that and show us some love pirate_satisfied.gif

The deal is one wave of Classic Pirate sets every 5-7 years. That is not speculation, that is the official business plan as it capitalises on the theme as much as possible.

The deal is one wave of Classic Pirate sets every 5-7 years. That is not speculation, that is the official business plan as it capitalises on the theme as much as possible.

How come the 2009/10 theme also got IFS later? Is that at all a possibility again?

Also is Castle basically on the same type of schedule?

2009/2010 may have been a special situation. It was before LEGO got the Pirates of the Carribean license. With another movie coming out in 2017, they may save the big ship release for PoTC as there could be a larger market that want those movie ships. Hard to say without insider information on their product planning...

Welcome to the modern world where everything is fast paced.

Exactly. I don't know what it looked like in your countries, but when I was a kid, and there was a new movie playing at the cinema, you could watch it immediately, or after a few months - most movies were usually still on after such a long time. Nowadays it's like 3 weeks and the movie is gone. Similar thing was with each year's LEGO wave - you could buy the sets a year or two later, they were still on the shelves at normal prices.

How come the 2009/10 theme also got IFS later? Is that at all a possibility again?

The 2009/2010 Pirate sets were released before the current business plan.

Also is Castle basically on the same type of schedule?

I know nothing of Castle.

I hope that next time TLG gets a manager to coordinate pirates line designers, will think of that and show us some love pirate_satisfied.gif

The LEGO Group cares not for AFOLs as 7-12 year old males are the target market for Pirate sets.

So releasing a new wave of sets every 6-7 years (I.e.a product cycle) ensures the LEGO Group can reuse the same set concepts because a new "generation" of 7-12 year old males will be available.

Exactly. I don't know what it looked like in your countries, but when I was a kid, and there was a new movie playing at the cinema, you could watch it immediately, or after a few months - most movies were usually still on after such a long time. Nowadays it's like 3 weeks and the movie is gone. Similar thing was with each year's LEGO wave - you could buy the sets a year or two later, they were still on the shelves at normal prices.

So true I remember when I was a kid going to toysrus after christmas it was 94 going into 95 I had got porate sets for Christmas but I had some money so I bought Lagoon Lock-up which had been released in 1991. But then again toysrus always has left over sets aince they have a high mark-up. Well will have to hope for a good POTC line hopefully theres some noce ships in the new film or they male some for 1-4.

So releasing a new wave of sets every 6-7 years (I.e.a product cycle) ensures the LEGO Group can reuse the same set concepts because a new "generation" of 7-12 year old males will be available.

You know what? I can actually live with that. I'm not happy with that, but I can accept that.

At least that way my wallet will suffer less than if there was a new wave of Pirates every year or something like that.

Also, the last time around, PotC kind of partially filled the gap between 2009 and 2015 Pirates. This will possibly happen again.

Just please LEGO, when the classic yellow-skinned pirates make another comeback in the future, try to make the sets just a bit more original. Put some extra effort, that's all I'm asking for. I would hate to see another copy of Brickbeard's Bounty / Brick Bounty / whatever.

Do you know for sure that new POTC sets will be out next year?

I know nothing of the Pirates of the Caribbean licence, nor have I mentioned sets relating to that licence.

I guess we'd better start a new topic, something like: Pirates 2021 - rumours and discussion. pirate_classic.gif

My predictions are:

- treasure island

- soldiers' outpost with a pirate raft and probably an octopus

- soldiers' fort, well, more like a pier and a small building with almost no walls, oh yeah, and a palm tree

- Brickbeard's Bounty v. 3.0

- small set with a soldier, cannon and pirate

pir_laugh2.gif

On the other hand, in 2009 we had redcoats, in 2015 the bluecoats returned, so I guess in 2021 it's gonna be the Spanish Armada this time? Now, this I would really like to happen. pirate_classic.gif

During the month of November they were still hordes of Pirates merchandise at the big Toys R Us in my city, back in December they were a few ships left, but by January, no Pirates left what so ever. It is sad that it did not sell well at all. You can still find them at local Lego stores but once they are sold out, they are gone forever. The chess set is on discount right now. The new lines like the nexo and ninjago where Lego dwelves into fantasy is what killing it. I think Castle/Kingdoms were pretty much dead on the water. At least I can say I had them all, but it's funny how the company changes direction in no time. Would love to see a newer wave this year but I highly doubt it.

During the month of November they were still hordes of Pirates merchandise at the big Toys R Us in my city, back in December they were a few ships left, but by January, no Pirates left what so ever. It is sad that it did not sell well at all.

If they didn't sell well, why are all the sets sold out in less than two months? pir_wacko.gif

If they didn't sell well, why are all the sets sold out in less than two months? pir_wacko.gif

Panic-buying AFOLs? Already low stock levels, so those few before Christmas were the last few? Note that not selling well is not the same as not selling at all.