Sign in to follow this  
Phoxtane

[MOC] 7-Wide Canadian National Locomotive

I've successfully completed my first 7-wide locomotive!

800x472.jpg

800x453.jpg

800x412.jpg

800x816.jpg

800x580.jpg

Power is provided by two PF train motors, which are attached to the frame via Technic plates.

The first version of this design was used at my LUG's display this year, but I changed up the internals quite dramatically based on performance issues; namely, it was very slow and couldn't keep up with standard 9v trains, and kept jumping off the track at the curves. The overall looks were improved drastically as well, in my opinion.

I'm quite pleased with how this turned out, and I hope to build more locomotives in this style in the future!

What a great design! But why did you use the AA battery box? Nice bogie detail! Simple but effective.

Edited by THERIZE

Your locomotive is very satisfying to look at, as it has just the right amount of detail, and no ridiculous color scheme.

Nicely done. The lines are clean, yet the colors are definitely CN. The mechanical parts seem to be pretty powerful. How many cars can it haul?

Nicely done. I like how you disguised B-B boogies behind C-C side frames. Very effective. :thumbup:

I think this is the best response to a model I've posted in a while!

What a great design! But why did you use the AA battery box? Nice bogie detail! Simple but effective.

I get about twice the capacity in mAh (according to the datasheets) out of AA batteries as opposed to AAA, and I have quite a few more of them than I do AAA battery boxes. In addition, I can use rechargeable AA batteries which ends up being much cheaper than the Lego rechargeable battery box.

Love it. Just needs some decals. I see some influence from my own model ;)

Very much so. I still haven't managed to pack in nearly as many details as yours though.

Nicely done. The lines are clean, yet the colors are definitely CN. The mechanical parts seem to be pretty powerful. How many cars can it haul?

I haven't been able to test that yet, but power is provided by two PF train motors. The model itself weighs about 2.2 pounds (a tiny bit under one kilogram), so my guess is that it'd happily pull a full Horizon Express (or something equivalent in terms of weight and rolling resistance) without too many complaints.

Based on the above, I did some quick calculations - If each AA battery I use has a (minimum) capacity of 1900mAh, and each PF train motor consumes 380mA at 9V under load (sourced from Philo's website), then under load this locomotive will pull 760mA. Since batteries in series increases the voltage, but not the capacity, I have 1900mAh available at the 9V that PF equipment uses - which means I should get about 2.5 hours of running time on this locomotive before I have to charge up the battery pack again.

Of course, the stall current would be higher, but I have a V2 PF receiver installed that should prevent it from tripping out, and is a bit more efficient as well.

Nice train, I like how you have made the trucks look like a 3 axle bogie