Sign in to follow this  
zero1312

Applying stickers

Anyone else hate that, when applying stickers, a spec of dust or a hair sneaks by and then the surface is very uneven? Or when you see some air bubbles afterwards? Any solutions?

My only method so far that works is to clean my assembly area prior to building. Bring out the vacuum and just clean it. Then wipe down the place with a moist towelette/rag or something. Then let it sit for an hour or two, then build. If you don't wait the dust you just kicked up will get into your stickers for sure! It is a process but it pays off.

Next is to get padded or somewhat padded tweezers or some other make up tool that is small and dainty but will hold on firmly to the sticker without damaging it. The reason being that lining up stickers with fingers is a skill I do not have. I then apply the sticker slowly (if it is big) and kinda pat it down as it is adhering to the surface. This "should" clear out air. Applying them fast I find lets in more air than you would think >< If you do this enough you will get used to it.

Still stickers are my bane! Do not appreciate them.

Thanks!! Normally, I never have much problems with stickers. And these problems only occur to the important and cool-looking ones, for some reason. :sceptic:

And you can always leave them out. Like with the new King's Mech from Nexo-Knights.

Edited by zero1312

I simply lift the edge of the sticker gently and carefully with a fingernail, carefully remove whatever is causing an issue and carefully reapply the sticker. I do this when a sticker goes on crooked as well. I do not like crooked or off center stickers, I'm very picky. Once I'm satisfied with placement and appearance, I firmly press and slide my finger across the sticker to smooth out any extra air bubbles I may not have noticed.

Yeah, lift or cut an extremity of your sticker, align it over the part, then press over the uncovered part. Once it's there, you simply unfold the rest of the support while applying it - no dust can get in.

As for misaligned stickers, the problem is that even if you align the cutout part well, cutouts are generally misaligned with prints anyway.

Having a humidifier during those dry winter months could help reduce static dust attracting charge. Wearing a food preparation hair net or baseball cap could also help reduce chances of loose hair falling into the stickering zone. When applying stickers or decals, press down from one side to the other side so that any air can be pushed out along the way and not be trapped.

Well I just blow on the part that is about to get stickers, slowly apply it so that the sticker is straight. Then I press semi quickly and boom done, no need for hair nets or humidifiers.

Well I just blow on the part that is about to get stickers, slowly apply it so that the sticker is straight. Then I press semi quickly and boom done, no need for hair nets or humidifiers.

Same here. Just recently I applied all the stickers on my 42050 Drag Racer after I cringed seeing how my GF applied them; after I re-applied the stickers, everything went smooth.The only utensil I find handy is a sharp, flat knife to carefully remove the misaligned sticker - if it's done gently, the sticker is as good as a new one.

May have already been said but I use the brick separator. I could back the area around the sticker, slide it under the sticker so that the sticker sticks to the separator( just the edge) and use the separator to hold onto while applying the sticker.

Normally I use a presicion knife to remove any dust from an applied sticker lifting it up and after removing the fur(I have four dogs so it is more probable to be a dog fur :laugh: ) I carefully reapply the sticker.

Sorry for going off topic ,but which are my possibilities of carefully peeling off an applied sticker from a technic panel ,applying it to the original sticker sheet ,and use it again?

Normally I use a presicion knife to remove any dust from an applied sticker lifting it up and after removing the fur(I have four dogs so it is more probable to be a dog fur :laugh: ) I carefully reapply the sticker.

Sorry for going off topic ,but which are my possibilities of carefully peeling off an applied sticker from a technic panel ,applying it to the original sticker sheet ,and use it again?

It depends on condition of the sticker. The stickers on my 8258 Crane Truck have harden and cracked. They would break apart if I tried to peel them off. On other sets like Power Miners, I was able to pull off stickers and stick on sticker backing paper for future re-use. If the stickers are still pliable, you could carefully do it. I'd suggest testing on a small not so critical sticker first. I used an X-Acto knife to lift up the stickers at corner.

It depends on condition of the sticker. The stickers on my 8258 Crane Truck have harden and cracked. They would break apart if I tried to peel them off. On other sets like Power Miners, I was able to pull off stickers and stick on sticker backing paper for future re-use. If the stickers are still pliable, you could carefully do it. I'd suggest testing on a small not so critical sticker first. I used an X-Acto knife to lift up the stickers at corner.

Thanks!The stickers are almost new,years 2013-2014 so I suppose it won't crack.

Not a big fan of stickers...

But when applying just use tweezers, or use the peeling method (one corner first, than bend the paper a little bit, and stick the rest).

For airbubbles, re-apply or use a tiny needle to bleed the air out.

I'm one of those anti applying sticker people, but I appreciate some sets really do come to life once those stickers are added.

Tweezers are the way ahead for precision placement

I allways use a little hobbyknive. I apply tge sticker on the tip of tge knive, make the right possition for the sticker, and press itvwith my finger on the brick or plate. And if there comes a bubble, i take a needle, makeca tiny hole and scrape itbflat with my fingernaile.

I always use a pair of eyebrow tweezers I borrowed (a long long time ago :wink:) from my wife's cosmetic bag ... very helpful for placement.

As mentioned before, a small needle is very handy when it comes to air bubbles trapped under the sticker.