Sign in to follow this  
Halhi 141

[Freebuild] Gremlon's Treehouse

The dream was back. A stone dragon, advancing on me, as I stand, unable to run away, cowering in fear. I've seen it so many times that I know it by heart. I'll wake up as soon as it closes in on me. I am about to look away, bored of having the same experience every day for weeks, when I realize that something is different this time. The dragon's eyes are closed.

The eyes have always been open before. Bright red eyes, piercing into me, bringing me fear at first before I began to grow used to the dream. Is that why it's different? Do I only keep seeing this because I need to feel fear, because I cannot allow myself to grow comfortable? Is the dream merely a product of my subconscious trying to scare itself, or is it something else?

As I try to figure out what the meaning of this new image could be, its eyes open.

And that's when I realize why the dragon had felt so familiar before.

The eyes belong to someone I know.

20148760455_07b47e1704_c.jpg

The misty air cools my skin as I walk briskly over the bridge at Hagron Swamp. The swamp is a place of mystery; I have never been here before, and my parents had never told me about it. Yet, ironically, it is the home of the person who everyone in Morkerna know about: Gremlon. For months, after our

adventures in Nocturnus, he has been more reclusive. In the past, he had clung to me constantly, like a shadow, watching my every move like an overprotective parent. Now, this change is almost frightening. For months, I had wondered why he had drawn away from me; now, I believe, I know why.

19878138550_7dc2971cbc_c.jpg

The flimsy porch creaks loudly as I step onto it. Gremlon is not in the treehouse, yet he has claimed that this is where he goes when he is away from me. Lies. It is these lies that have aroused my suspicions of him, these lies that have brought me to loath him.

As I begin to curse the lying wizard, I hear footsteps from behind me. It is Gremlon, strolling across the bridge, looking shocked to see me here.

20071509181_9a8f926e0c_c.jpg

He starts to speak, but I cut him off, grabbing him and slamming him against the wall. "What the hell is going on, Gremlon!?" He stares at me, feigning perplexity, so I continue. "Why have you been leaving me? What aren't you telling me!?"

He still maintains the same blank stare. Finally, I snap. "My parents weren't killed by supporters of the Desert King, were they? You killed them!" It is the only reasonable conclusion I could reach after seeing his eyes in the nightmare. It must be true, it must be because I need it to be true, because I need to have someone who I can punish for my parents' deaths, and I want to hate Gremlon, and so I tell myself that he is guilty. He must be.

"Come on, Elisa, you know I didn't kill them!" And I do know, and what he says is true, but I cannot allow myself to believe him; I must hang onto my illusion of his guilt in order to satisfy myself; I must attack Gremlon, hurt him.

Or I can do what is right. Because even as I want to blame Gremlon for my parents' death, I also want him to be innocent, for our old relationship to be restored.

I let go of him and walk away, mumbling an apology.

Another pair of builds from last summer that I had intended to post here earlier but neglected to.

19960770760_cf63d58556_c.jpg

Hagron Swamp (the base of the tree) was a fun experiment in mood and colors. My favorite part might be the lever plants (or perhaps the colors), and overall I think it turned out pretty well for a one-day build.

20148786845_15155ba4fa_c.jpg

20071539951_eee5fee51c_c.jpg

The treehouse was definitely the more difficult of the two, but I'm also really satisfied with this scene. The hardest part was probably the trunk texturing, but I think that it looks a bit better here than in the swamp. Also, I quite like the architecture of the whitewash section on the left, with the arches on the bottom and the angled beams on top.

Thanks for viewing!

:classic:

A very fun build indeed. Gotta love a treehouse. Plus, yet more blue landscaping to play with the mood, O_O . I really liked how those curved beams fitted in to the whitewash...

Nice work :thumbup: ! I wouldn't have tought that dark blue can work that well in a landscape - you showed us that it can! The lever as dead grass look also nice, it seems you needed a lot of time and patience for them, but they are surely worth it. The tree texturing looks also nice, as does the treehouse.

Actually, if there's something I'd change, it would most probably the whitewash. The arches fit in there nicely, but there are almost too many different colours and too randomly arranged for my taste.

It also would have been cool to see an overview, of the whole build, the base together with the treehouse and more of the trunk in the middle.

To finish off my comment, I want to say that I simply love your brickbuilt deerhead. Great job on this tiny detail :wub:

Nice work :thumbup: ! I wouldn't have tought that dark blue can work that well in a landscape - you showed us that it can! The lever as dead grass look also nice, it seems you needed a lot of time and patience for them, but they are surely worth it. The tree texturing looks also nice, as does the treehouse.

Actually, if there's something I'd change, it would most probably the whitewash. The arches fit in there nicely, but there are almost too many different colours and too randomly arranged for my taste.

It also would have been cool to see an overview, of the whole build, the base together with the treehouse and more of the trunk in the middle.

To finish off my comment, I want to say that I simply love your brickbuilt deerhead. Great job on this tiny detail :wub:

Thanks! The top and bottom are unfortunately separate builds (I didn't have enough pieces to build a whole tree of this size, but I might try again eventually).

The levers actually aren't too hard to fit in - one lever fits perfectly in any half plate gap (like on a grill tile, or between a stud and a plate), and 2 can fit in between two studs (or any other 1-plate gap).

I also agree about the whitewash - at the time I thought it looked good, but now looking back, I'd agree that it's pretty overtextured.

Edited by Halhi 141

Damn, that's a Nice build! And altough the treehousr is very Nice, I especially like the base!

As said earlier, the dk blue really looks good here (which is more than I can say for most of the builds I've seen it in) and the swampy feel comes out nicely.

Love those half arches for wooden beams :wub: One of the best uses I've seen of the black trans bricks for water, and lever plants are excellent :thumbup:

Very nice build here....others have said, but I really like the Dark Blue in the landscape..

Very nice build(s), with great detailing and parts use! I especially like the swamp and the gloomy atmosphere you've managed to create :thumbup:

The top and bottom are unfortunately separate builds (I didn't have enough pieces to build a whole tree of this size, but I might try again eventually).

I was about to ask for an overview, but thanks for the clarification :wink: