finnbricker

MOD: Detective's Office 10246 XL

I completed this months ago and took the photos, but was too lazy to post them. Now is a good time to get this sorted before I start working on the BB.

My Double Detective's Office includes the original modular and a mirrored version of it, both built together as one building and the mirror DO part using dark red bricks. Unfortunately, I don't have enough dark red brick-bricks, but maybe one day I'll substitute. (I do have a whole bunch of dark red 1x2s so this was a good way of using a part of them).

800x511.jpg

800x529.jpg

No POOL sign on the dark red building, but the ground floor remains in its original form (save for it being a mirror image). The second newspaper machine is substituted by a soda machine from 31036. The Al's sign is in the middle of the enlarged barber shop. Two alleys, two water cisterns on the roof.

800x487.jpg

The back side is as boring as in the original.

Let's start from the top floor.

800x422.jpg

The cookie kitchen is where it originally was. The rest of this floor is empty. There's only one staircase, so the mirrored room is larger than the original one. It might be a good idea to furnish it as a bedroom/livingroom, thus creating a real apartment on the top floor.

800x338.jpg

This is my favourite floor. The lobby is double its original size, and with only one staircase there's ample room for a dark and dingy hallway where you don't want to wander all alone. There are now two toilet stalls and I was lucky to find out that the refrigerator door in Olivia's house 3315 is a mirror version of the DO toilet door, so by building the fridge as a mirror image, I could switch the doors and create a perfect mirrored toilet stall for the DO.

800x536.jpg

The Detective's Office is in its original condition, nothing special here.

800x536.jpg

The hallway is the scene of some very unpleasant action. A methhead is coming out of the stall, still holding his syringe in his hand. His mates are out in the hallway drinking and guarding the stolen ghettoblasters. But why did they choose this particular building to hang out in? Well, is it that hard to guess what's going on behing that closed door?

800x587.jpg

Seems to me there's a meth lab. :laugh: :laugh: The interior comes from DO and Research Institute 21110, including the minifig. She might be a little overdressed but maybe she got fired from her previous job as a chemist, yet still wants to maintain a professional look and feel in her new line of work.

640x426.jpg

Would you like to get to know her customers a little better?

800x337.jpg

The ground floor includes two pool halls. I should probably convert one of them into something else but I was just too lazy to do anything about it.

800x536.jpg

The barber shop is twice its old size, which is a really good thing because the original is really cramped! Here's room for a cashier stand now, and two barber chairs. The secret passageway is still there, too.

I hope you like it, and I hope you're not offended by my strange humour regarding the meth lab. :classic:

Edited by finnbricker

Love it. This is probably just me, but looking at the front, I feel like the alley ways would both lead to one larger alley lined with shops. You've given me an idea for my city :D

Really love the whole idea of doubling up on the size of the modulars. As a new builder of them this is very inspirational!

Thanks for posting your MOD. It's nice to get inspiration for the expanded DO I'd like to do at some point.