Sign in to follow this  
Logan McOwen

REVAMP: Kulta, the Skull Grinder + BONUS

KULTA, THE SKULL GRINDER

24417847886_c4358e89b8_c.jpg

Skull Grinder is the dark creator and lord of the Skull Army. Commanding the minions’ every move, Skull Grinder wields unimaginable power. His heavy, jagged blades will smash anyone who is foolish enough to stand in his way. It is likely that even the heroic Toa will need some kind of help to stand a chance against the grim and vicious Skull Grinder.

This is a more titan-sized revamp of last year's main Bionicle villain, Kulta. He uses my

TW2 gearbox, alongside a standard 2015 gearbox. The stud shooter in his weapon is fired by spinning the largest bladed head, which can also be separated from the smaller end to form the two weapons he had in his official set appearance.

24335865812_a7d282f1fb_c.jpg

Pose, full weapon

24417847886_c4358e89b8_c.jpg

Pose, weapon seperated

24148507560_5f4deaf27f_c.jpg

Front

24417881116_69f831f9d5_c.jpg

Back

24335858722_31d299ed7c_c.jpg

Pose, looming

23815935054_b32cd5e9dd_c.jpg

Weapons

24076360149_0786500eea_c.jpg

Pose, admiring his bounty

24444114525_7e25abaaf9_c.jpg

Pose, looming in the Mask of Creation

24444070845_ddb12df754_c.jpg

Torso build, front

24417871766_31fb96f986_c.jpg

Torso build, back

23817367633_6222ed25b1_c.jpg

Leg build

BONUS

FIRE GIRL

24300699961_a1102d2eae_c.jpg

She wants to be her village's guard when she grows up.

24087586600_8a7347bd12_c.jpg

Front

24300703551_1e319c3d32_c.jpg

Back

Edited by Logan McOwen

OK everybody stop making Kulta revamps it's not worth it anymore.

Dude I think this is my favourite of your creations. Besides the troso construction being a little more complicated than it needed to be, which Victor already pointed out in your Flickr, I cannot find one single thing I'd change of this.

The shape, the filling, everything looks top-notch. And that staff blaster... bloody genius.

Also I really like how you manage to create clever constructions that not only look elegant but also like something you could find in an actual set.

What I like the most is the use of pistons. Although they're no longer needed due to fricton joints, I must say that those old school Bionicle/Technic piston pieces really add a flair to it that makes it unmistakably Bionicle-esque. And that's awesome.

On top of that you filled up everything quite nicely, which I really appreciate. The weapon is also extremely well crafted and looks much better than the original, the shooter gives it a lot more character than the set form.

Overall, this is probably one of your best mocs so far !

-Iben

OK everybody stop making Kulta revamps it's not worth it anymore.

Dude I think this is my favourite of your creations. Besides the troso construction being a little more complicated than it needed to be, which Victor already pointed out in your Flickr, I cannot find one single thing I'd change of this.

The shape, the filling, everything looks top-notch. And that staff blaster... bloody genius.

Also I really like how you manage to create clever constructions that not only look elegant but also like something you could find in an actual set.

Hey, thanks! I'm glad you like my Kulta. The back build is indeed a little over-complicated, but a suppose in being such it's a little more stable. I like to build figures both for look and for play, hence the addition of gear mechanisms and launchers. While I don't play with my models, it's still interesting to take things like sturdiness, mobility and playability into consideration. It can be constraining sometimes, but it's a good thought exercise all the same.

What I like the most is the use of pistons. Although they're no longer needed due to fricton joints, I must say that those old school Bionicle/Technic piston pieces really add a flair to it that makes it unmistakably Bionicle-esque. And that's awesome.

On top of that you filled up everything quite nicely, which I really appreciate. The weapon is also extremely well crafted and looks much better than the original, the shooter gives it a lot more character than the set form.

Overall, this is probably one of your best mocs so far !

-Iben

Thank you! I've been brain-storming that weapon concept for quite some time, and I'm glad that it works as planned. Seriously, it's so fun to shoot the thing. And as for the leg pistons, they're something I've wanted to integrate into something for quite some time. Admittedly, they do make moving his legs a little tricky, but certainly not impossible.

Edited by Logan McOwen

This is awesome, I can't wait to get my Kulta so I can make a revamp like this. I think yours is one of the better ones I've seen that keep the same look as the original. I didn't even notice the gunmetal skull masks in the shoulders until my third take. Clever!