I have been searching new MOC subject for some time, as I want a model to be good looking for display; to have enough features but not too complex; to well use of my inventory (major sets part out mostly from 2012 onwards), and to play with my kid reliably.

The new PANTHER Aircraft rescue and firefighting (ARFF) vehicle by The Rosenbauer Group has caught my attention. It’s the 4th generation ARFF vehicle launched in mid 2015 and its futuristic appearance, 6x6 chassis, unique sliding doors and feasible color scheme fit my MOC wish list very well.

panther2016.01WIP-elev.jpg?dl=0

I started from the bodywork by modeling the truck exterior features, for example , roof profile, back exhaust louvers, incline headlights, steep ramp angle at the front and the back, and spent quite some time adjusting the body shape from being too boxy.

panther2016.01WIP-front.jpg?dl=0

panther2016.01WIP-back.jpg?dl=0

The design of the chassis is straight forward. Since the real PANTHER is supposed to be a fast rescuing machine, I made good use of the large interior to fit in 3 XL motors to ensure enough power for driving. One motor drive one axle at a time, instead of stacking all three motors in parallel. This will avoid too much toque applying on one single Lego element. Rear axles are modified live axle suspension ‘floating’ within a rigid frame, resulting similar effect as independent suspension. Front axle is simple live axle suspension with steer function. All axles are driven in 1:1 ratio.

panther2016.01WIP-chassis.jpg?dl=0

Similar to the real PANTHER engine location, an inline 6 cylinders fake Volvo engine is seated at the back and is geared up to 2.78:1. By using the rear axles as pivot, weight (battery boxes) is placed at the back to balance the motors weight applying to the front axle. Sides panels at both end can be opened manually for battery box access.

It’s challenging to pack the door sliding mechanism under the cabin without interfering the steep ramp angle at the front. The test build is done during the Christmas holiday and the doors slide quite well after a few design attempts and I am quite satisfied with the result.

20160116_172404.jpg?dl=020160116_172646.jpg?dl=0

20160116_172421.jpg?dl=020160116_172439.jpg?dl=0

20160116_172501.jpg?dl=0

I am still in the process of thinking whether to use a simple swinging turret as the forth function, or a more complex high reach extendable turrets that will require an extra 2 channels and a lot of design effort.

turrent.jpg?dl=0

Edited by gerger

Looks very promising,. The rear turned out really nice. But why the the steering offset? Instead of turning the wheel around and making the axle 2 steeds wider?

I think this is a great WIP. I like that you chose a more unique vehicle to model, and after looking at the pictures that you provided I seems your chassis might be 2 studs too wide. Honestly I cant really tell, but so far you've done a nice job with the curves at the front. I would try to add more red into the front of the truck, as right now it's mostly black. I dont really understand your suspensions system. You say it has independent suspension, but then mention that they work as if they were floating axles. Could just be me. As for the firefighting apparatus on top, I would opt for the "extendable arm" for two reasons, 1. The point of attachment for the simple swinging turret is kind of awkward as it's right above the cabin, which could mean mounting motors in the cab. The extendable arm could be mounted further back giving you more space to mount. 2. It looks like you would have the room to mount more motors and receivers in the truck.

Are you thinking of making a working water pump?

Very promising start indeed! :wub: Nice proportions and it has some wonderful curves in it. Nice doors at the front as well. The floating rearaxles are similar to the one that Crowkiller showed a couple of months ago, right?

Why did you decide to stack the 3 XL motors? Do you need the space beside them? I can imagine that if you could put them side by side you get a lot of room for the watercannon (and then I would opt for the high reach extendable cannon, just because is it is more complex :devil: ).

You say you put the batterybox in the rear, but where? There seems to be little space for it.

The only thing I am not sold on is the colourscheme. The black is too dark, Dark bluish gray on the outside would make it look more refined I think (of course you do have to find solution for those panels... :blush:

Really looking forward to the next update.

Hmmm..... honestly.... to criticize this for being too wide I think that it is like criticizing the remark for comparing two pictures at a slightly different angles (which would skew your view of wideness). The differences are so slight no meaningful information can be gathered. Perhaps it is too wide.... but you would need better comparisons to make that determination......

Good work so far, I am curious to see how it progresses. We can always use more firefighting MOCs ;)

but you would need better comparisons to make that determination......

And this is why I have asked about it...

Thanks for the comments. It helps to refine my next step.

Looks very promising,. The rear turned out really nice. But why the the steering offset? Instead of turning the wheel around and making the axle 2 steeds wider?

I can't remember when and why I did that. Probably because the offset helps the steering from touching some parts or chassis. I need to test.

I seems your chassis might be 2 studs too wide.

Isn't it too wide compared to real machine?

Good observation. Yes, the real PANTHER dimension is 11.2m(L)x3m(W)x3.6m(H) and the model is 66x19 studs for now, which is 1.5~2 wider. The main reason for 19 studs wide is because it's the easiest way to implement a fully suspension with differentials.

WIP-front-2016.0118.jpg?dl=0

I would try to add more red into the front of the truck, as right now it's mostly black.

The only thing I am not sold on is the colour scheme. The black is too dark, Dark bluish gray on the outside would make it look more refined I think (of course you do have to find solution for those panels... :blush:

I totally agree. I also use Dark blush gray scheme for the skirting and front grille in my early draft, but changed to dark one when I realized there is notmuch dark gray panels... In fact, it's quite limited in term of panel color selections for body styling ( mostly Black, White, Yellow, Red...)

The floating rearaxles are similar to the one that Crowkiller showed a couple of months ago, right?

I dont really understand your suspensions system. You say it has independent suspension, but then mention that they work as if they were floating axles.

I referred to the Axle Collection Thread in this forum and modified from there into double driving axles.

The ball joint part #92910 took up some space and I need to workaround to the 3rd axle in order to put both rear axles to come close together.

WIP-rearaxle-2016.0118.jpg?dl=0

Why did you decide to stack the 3 XL motors? Do you need the space beside them? I can imagine that if you could put them side by side you get a lot of room for the watercannon (and then I would opt for the high reach extendable cannon, just because is it is more complex).

I did both motors schemes (side by side vs. stacking). The stacking position give a more direct drive train and it's quite easy to modify to 2 motors for 3 axles when I need more space. Here's an older version side by side trial:

WIP-motor-side.jpg?dl=0

You say you put the batterybox in the rear, but where? There seems to be little space for it.

It's tight and they fit in like this:

WIP-battery-pos.jpg?dl=0

35 minutes ago, Pelzer117 said:

Did you ever finish this modell?

The User who made this MOC last visited this forum >3 years ago, so I doubt you'll get an answer. Please use the PM feature next time instead of reviving an old thread. Thx.