Murdoch17

Birney Safety Trolley - 1910's bi-directional streetcar

This slimmed down 6 wide Birney Safety Trolley was first built in 2011 and based on the work of Brickshelf user J-2 and his vintage 2003 model of the Mister Rodgers' Neighborhood. (link to it here: http://www.brickshel...ery.cgi?f=37552 )

27523660963_eb6ed9f8fd_z.jpg

I have modified that users' model to have enclosed sides and now have reduced the width from 8 studs to 6, plus I added real seats, trolley poles, and magnets for pulling freight or a second streetcar. These magnets are at the correct height for use with official sets and most, if not all, of my MOCs.

27523523764_5e0c162891_z.jpg

This car is numbered 37, and I have another one numbered 32 that isn't finished yet. (I only ordered four black macaroni bricks when I should have ordered eight, thus delaying completion of the other streetcar.)

19122505989_5d5c70e6bc_z.jpg

This is the former state of the real cars, which have since been destroyed to make the newer version seen above.

16637009047_da1634594e_m.jpg

This is the fictional electric line that runs the streetcars on my town. It is also called the IG&WER for short, as Ironwood Glencoe & Western Electric Railway is a bit of a mouth full...

(Updated as of 5/12/16) LDD file for the Birney Safety Trolley(6 wide): http://www.moc-pages...1463073264m.lxf

(Update 7/6/16: added real life pictures to this post!)

27545748613_608370aa22_z.jpg

(Update 7/7/16: car 32 finished, but since it's the same as 37, I will not be uploading separate photos of it, besides this one of them both on my layout.)

comments, questions, and complaints welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

Looks really neat! Love the simple but cool design. :)

Most of the design work (90%)was done by J-2. I took off the "Neighborhood Trolley" sign, and benches, covered up the individual entry points, put on trolley poles, recolored it, and added regular wheels instead of a motor, among other things. The reason I didn't do more to it was because it is about as good as it's going to get for being a Birney Safety Trolley.

Thanks anyway though!

sorry to bump this, but I updated the model once more to have actual windows, new seats. a drivers stand with controls, and a new roof. The LDD file has been updated accordingly.

24706183249_67dfea1783_z.jpg

Sorry to bump this once more, but I've recolored the trolley to a little brighter color scheme. However, it is build-able in other colors, such as black, and dark or light bluish gray instead of red.

26050560604_e35acb13cb_z.jpg

LDD file updated accordingly.

Beautiful! I'll borrow some of your ideas to build a trolley for my LEGO town. :wub:

Go right ahead, and I'd love to see pictures when you build it!

Ive made it. you can see pictures here: http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=131354

Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply, but that looks awesome!

On a related note, here is my now 6 wide streetcar, which I call version 3:

26939716506_c0368e01f0_z.jpg

Comments, questions, and complaints welcome, and the new ldd file is in the updated first post.

Simple yet elegant. I have to confess, my initial reaction was to suggest that you make it narrow gauge (because I am woefully predictable), which might assist its proportions while still keeping it small. However, I understand it's a fringe portion of the hobby at its best :P.

Sorry for the late reply, but that looks awesome!

On a related note, here is my now 6 wide streetcar, which I call version 3:

Comments, questions, and complaints welcome, and the new ldd file is in the updated first post.

The version 3 looks excellent. I can hardly wait to see the motorized version.

Simple yet elegant. I have to confess, my initial reaction was to suggest that you make it narrow gauge (because I am woefully predictable), which might assist its proportions while still keeping it small. However, I understand it's a fringe portion of the hobby at its best :P.

I think a narrow gauge version would be interesting, and your more than welcome to attempt it, but I think I'll stick with regular old L Gauge. Thanks for stopping by and commenting though!

The version 3 looks excellent. I can hardly wait to see the motorized version.

Thanks, and I'm glad you like it! However, I don't have any 9v motors, or any PF equipment no do I plan on getting any. (Hand power is my way!) Plus, it's way cheaper, both part wise and it not being worth redesigning all my trains to accept motors.

As a side note, here is a picture and story I've been working on:

26926275951_881960fefd_z.jpg

May 21st, 1966 - The Ironwood streetcar line, isolated and on it's last few serviceable trolleys, hobbles slowly along. On this day, we see Birney Safety Car number 13 bump along on uneven and well-worn track around the corner at River and Main streets. This 1920 vintage streetcar looks worse for wear, with it's faded paint and worn wood-work, it's tired motorman operator looking as sad as the car itself. Nobody knows how long the line will last, as closure is expected at any time.

Happily, this line will not close as expected. The trolleys and tracks are rescued by the city of Ironwood itself and a group of pioneering rail transit lovers. Within 3 years, the line will be completely renewed and ready for the next 45+ years of operation, for generations yet to come (as of 1966, that is).

Edited by Murdoch17

Just a side thought on LEGO narrow gauge... If you model in 1 lug = 1', TLG track (2 studs between the rails) is a good fit for either 3' or 42" inch prototype. Or in model rail speak for L-gauge, Ln3 or Ln31/2. : )

27545748613_608370aa22_z.jpg

After finding the last four macaroni bricks for the base of car 32, this streetcar project is considered done... for now. Here you can see them on my layout with my old fashioned buildings.

It will remain this way until Lego or ME models decide to release part 32087 except without 9v metal for Power Functions. (this part: http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=32087#T=C ) Then I can finish my two separate loops: one for trolleys, and one for mainline trains. Until then (if it ever happens), I may just put forth the cash for two 9v "X" 90 degree crossover.... around $50 (US) for two of them.

But for now, it will remain a point-to-point layout.