Sign in to follow this  
Tezclatipoca

[ESL - Ch1 Cat B] Ruins in the jungle

Here is my entry for the Challenge 1 Category B : Land Ho !

Ruins in the jungle

Sailing East, according to the note Felipe de la Manzana found in a drifting chest with some tribal stuff, was effectively a good idea !

The Appleseed rapidly reached a strange Island covered with dense jungle !

- Nah, we meet again Jungle... Thought Felipe. I really have to deal this dense forest in this island too !

I must claim this land for Eslandola if I want to develop more apple trees orchards here !

He was lost in his thought when the crow nest man on duty shouted :

- There is kind' buildin' here Cap' !

There was effectively a strange building, a doorway, a portal or something like that near a rocky formation covered by the jungle.

- Let's see that ! I have to land on that island ! I am not sure it is a place our charters have recorded. We must investigate. Declared Felipe.

The row boat was put on the sea, and they touch land.

23727801304_359d108f46_b.jpg

Basil updated the map meanwhile the sailors were preparing the claiming ceremony.

- No ! No ! Esteban ! I said no weapons ! Leave your gun in the row boat ! I don't want you to afraid any native if they are here ! you should have brought an axe instead... Grumbled Felipe to his man.

Felipe Planted the flag and the King's officer on board registered it :

- I, Senor Felipe de la Manzana, claim this land in the name of the king of Eslandola, for the country, and for gold !

I am naming this place : Portal Cove and I want it registered as property of Eslandola, of the Crown and of MAESTRO !

23727800514_015882b4d1_b.jpg

24273500871_9b21693f9a_z.jpg

After the ceremony was finished, The Crown's officer returned into the rowboat with his "official stuff" (mainly a pupitre with ink and paper) and Felipe took Basil with him in order to look at this strange building and also in order to plan the jungle cutting and the orchards planting...

23727802914_1687915959_c.jpg

- Be careful Felipe ! I heard something ! Basil said to his friend.

- Yes, that's why I will go forward to see...

23727799334_d8ba25d219_b.jpg

They passed the portal and what they saw is... For the next build !

Thank you for reading.

Enjoy ! and see you for the next Challenge 1 MOC for the continuation of the story.

There is a lot going on. Your rockwork is complicated, the vegetaion is diverse, good good.

And I really like the big flowers.

This cutting down the jungle and planing orchards is going to backfire someday you know. :p

Great build, nice work with the flora and the arch looks really good in those colors! thumbup.gif

Those are some huge flowers. The jungle looks pretty good and I like the ruins. That flag is unique and interesting - I don't envy the man tasked with carrying it. The wave technique is nice but they would look better if they were wider. This is a good take on the challenge and has plenty of story-telling potential. Keep it up.

There is definetely some good stuff to be seen here and some techniques seem rather familiar pirate_satisfied.gif Interesting idea to have ruins in the jungle. We should take a closer look into that!

Anyway, here's some advice on how to improve: I wouldn't use any yellow for the beach, it's to funky, unrealistic a color! Keep your rocks in one shade of, it makes the rock face look a lot better and more uniform. And finally, I'd use dark instead of lime green for the forest floor.

This cutting down the jungle and planing orchards is going to backfire someday you know. :p

Yes I know, and it will probably... Shhh... Don't tell it to Felipe !

There is definetely some good stuff to be seen here and some techniques seem rather familiar pirate_satisfied.gif Interesting idea to have ruins in the jungle. We should take a closer look into that!

Anyway, here's some advice on how to improve: I wouldn't use any yellow for the beach, it's to funky, unrealistic a color! Keep your rocks in one shade of, it makes the rock face look a lot better and more uniform. And finally, I'd use dark instead of lime green for the forest floor.

Thank you very much for your advice !

The rocks are in different shades in order to render some geological stratification differences and are made in purpose: different colors of grey, different levels of rocks, different shade of rocks. It's seemed more natural to my eyes, rocks are not uniform IRL. And btw, it's harder to build, every sort of natural rock formation is really hard to render IMO.

Dark green seems effectively better, I will consider it. Thank you !

Generally, a very good build. I think you have a lot of nice vegetation, but overall, it looks a little too busy to me. Maybe it is the large variety in different types in a very small area. On the other hand, that is typical for rainforest, so I am sort of divided on this pirate_tong.gif

As to Kabels comment, I agree with you on the geological layers of the rock formation. The technique is not perfected yet, but I definitely see where you are going. Maybe horisontal plates instead will look more natural, and be easier to give a natural variation? pirate_blush.gif

I too would substitute the yellow for dark tan, or at least tone it down a bit - it does look a bit funky.

However, not as much as the lime-green tiles and plates under the undergrowth. First of all, I am not a fan of tiles in landscaping, secondly, lime-green has to be used with caution. (As you might have seen on my xebec, not all liked the colour there either - Obviously, they were wrong, but still! pirate_tong.gif ) Together with normal green, it often looks very funky and unnatural.

One of my favourite details are the scribes tools! Very well done - great design! pirate_laugh2.gif

Another is that banner - I hope that we will see it again - unfortunately, it sort of blends in with the greenery in the background in this build. pirate_blush.gif

Your ruins are really cool - I like the departure from the traditional grey ruins - those (rather funky) colours work brilliantly! pirate_laugh2.gif

Overall, really nice entry!

Dont.Pass.That.Arch! Sinister things are happening past it, apple lover! Nice moc as always, especially the big flowers