CopMike

DC Super Heroes - 76052 Batman™ Classic TV Series - Batcave

Holy, Bat-tastic Batman !

This is one of best D2C's ever, I grew watching the original 60's series on Channel Seven back in the 1970's as a little kid and it's one of my favourite TV shows of all time ! :grin:

I love the part where Batman and Robin can scale the side of the building thought the only thing missing is someone famous sticking their head out of a window ! :laugh:

This set is at the top of my buying list this years, Bat-Brick On everyone ! :grin:

"How far that little candle throws his beams. So shines a good deed in a weary world."

It's nice to see some genuine enthusiasm for this set regardless of the consensus about cost, piece count, build etc.

I can't help but laugh at the discussion of whether or not this (or any) Lego set is "worth" the money.

NONE of these sets are worth the $200+ that they are priced at if you're going to get into that kind of discussion. They're freaking Lego's that you put on display and they just sit there for eternity, gathering dust.

You cannot put a price on emotional worth, which I would think people who frequent this forum would plenty understand. If you are buying expensive Lego sets with this much analysis into financial worth....then maybe your money should go elsewhere.

I understand some of the thoughts...I look at it myself and somewhat wonder where some of those 2,500 pieces are going but I loved the original Batman TV show, I love the looks of the minifigs, I love the batmobile, I love the Wayne Manor portion, I know I will love seeing it. Thus I'm getting it.

But come on now....let's stop with all of the finanical planning stuff when we're talking about buying Lego's.

Please realize that there will be a lot of enthusiam here about all things Lego. It is after all a Lego forum. As for finances, we are talking about a $270 set. Indeed there are several posters here who can set aside that money without much difficulty. Unfortunately, there are many more or us who have to make some really difficult decisions when it comes to that kind of money. I worked a seasonal job in part to buy a plane ticket that costs about the same as this set, so yes, financial planning is a concern to me. If such posts bother you, it is best to skip the offending post and move on to the next one rather than ask people not to state their opinions regarding the cost. It might also be wrong to assume that people are going to just let the sets sit on a shelf and collect dust. Many people here build some excellent MOCs or MODs out of these sets. Some might share a little bit of the fun with their children. Others use Lego sets for photography. Anyway, I suppose there is no "wrong" opinion about the value of this set as everyone is going to assign a different value to it. Some are very avid fans and as they have indicated, will purchase it regardless of cost. Others are still deciding, and some know that it is beyond their reach. Whether it is a Lego set, a plane ticket, a new meteorite for my collection, or a home repair, I need to do some thinking and planning regarding a purchase of this amount.

Regarding the set, I really like batmobile and the minifigs, especially that Cesar Romero Joker. It really looks like him too. Too bad they could not have given this the Ghostbusters Ecto-1 treatment and made one set with the car and some minifigs, and then made the collector's version of the batcave in another. I dont see a lot of kids wanting or buying this. If they want a batmobile and lots of neat main characters, they will find that in Jokerland for less than half the price of this.

I can't help but laugh at the discussion of whether or not this (or any) Lego set is "worth" the money.

NONE of these sets are worth the $200+ that they are priced at if you're going to get into that kind of discussion. They're freaking Lego's that you put on display and they just sit there for eternity, gathering dust.

You cannot put a price on emotional worth, which I would think people who frequent this forum would plenty understand. If you are buying expensive Lego sets with this much analysis into financial worth....then maybe your money should go elsewhere.

I understand some of the thoughts...I look at it myself and somewhat wonder where some of those 2,500 pieces are going but I loved the original Batman TV show, I love the looks of the minifigs, I love the batmobile, I love the Wayne Manor portion, I know I will love seeing it. Thus I'm getting it.

But come on now....let's stop with all of the finanical planning stuff when we're talking about buying Lego's.

While objectively speaking, yes, we are paying for a lot of plastic that may not do much but sit on a shelf, there's no universal agreement for value at a certain price. Just yesterday, I saw a metal dolly cart for large boxes being sold for $30, while a smallish LEGO set may cost the same amount. Is one better value? It depends on what you want. Nostalgia isn't enough here. While I do love the colorful, campy cheese of the show, and the villain figures are absolutely fantastic, I cannot justify $270 for something nostalgic that I'm not heavily invested in. So, while I do want this set, my emotions aren't strong enough to bring me to full-price purchase. I think it's very important to plan for an expensive purchase if you're not able to simply pull the money out of an overstuffed wallet with barely a dent in your total.

And a gentle bit of information. While you're not obligated to use it, LEGO's own terminology for their product uses LEGO as an adjective, i.e., LEGO set, LEGO minifigure, LEGO brick, etc.

I wish I had your money... :wink:

I'm pretty sure you said you'd pay anything for certain Dr Who sets. Do you magically get his money when that happens?

I'm pretty sure you said you'd pay anything for certain Dr Who sets. Do you magically get his money when that happens?

No, I'd just spend my money on the set regardless because its Doctor Who.

I'm not a huge fan of the 60's Batman, and the price tag is very large for what it is. I would have preferred a set featuring The Batmobile, with Batman, Robin, and The Joker for about £29.99

Then a Batcopter set with Batman, Batgirl, Catwoman and The Riddler

Totally agree with Geekmeister, also agree that a set with the old Bat copter would look good alongside the recent Bat copter Man-bat set!!

Gotta be honest, the 60s batcave is one of my least favorite Batcaves of all time. Not because of it's (obviously) older styling, but I didn't like the layout and the tan colored rocks were strange, and look even stranger here in toy form.

I'm loving the Batmobile though, and some of those minifigures look great; but not $270 great. (Also looks like this set couldn't escape BURPs, even with all those brick-build formations)

No, I'd just spend my money on the set regardless because its Doctor Who.

Just like LegoNerd will spend his money on this set regardless of price, because he likes it.

We all have priorities. Just because I would buy a huge Nautilus LEGO set doesn't make me rich, and the same goes with you and your' Dr. Who LEGO.

My wallet is starting to feel the pinch. Ghostbusters firehouse, the bank, Doctor who, and now this. I may need to sell a kidney.

My wallet is starting to feel the pinch. Ghostbusters firehouse, the bank, Doctor who, and now this. I may need to sell a kidney.

I might have to sell my soul :devil:

Does anyone know when we're likely to get details on when VIP cards can pick this set up?

I think it's got a March 1st release date (or thereabouts) so it'll be 2 weeks prior to that. Mid Feb basically.

THis would have been better as a small series like the Scooby-Doo sets.

Yeah, especially with the great packaging, a small series of sets would have looked good on the shelf. But, we don't know the terms of the licensing deal, they may have been allowed to make only one classic TV series Batman set.

Still, it would have been nice to see a "stealth" theme of licensed Hollywood automobiles take shape at around the $50 price point (Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters reboot, batmobiles/tumblers/copters, KITT, Spaceballs Winnebago, Mad Max Interceptor, etc.)

But don't get me wrong, I am very impressed overall that this set made it to reality.

March as a release date sounds right;the latest U.K.Argos book lists the new "Batman vs Superman" sets as being available from March 16`, so it makes sense to release this classic set at the same time :classic:

March as a release date sounds right;the latest U.K.Argos book lists the new "Batman vs Superman" sets as being available from March 16`, so it makes sense to release this classic set at the same time :classic:

have I missed something here? what new BvS sets? there's 3 available already on Lego.com so either Argos are way behind the times here, or there's more sets to come - which is it?