CopMike

DC Super Heroes - 76052 Batman™ Classic TV Series - Batcave

I think this set just looks really underwhelming because instead of being one large build like the GB fire house (a much better deal for the money), it's really 4 small sets in one (a small section of wayne manor, A bat laboratory type thing with computer, a bat helicopter with bat landing pad, bat cycle and bat garage, and a batmobile). They really could have split this up into those 4 sets but as it is, it looks underwhelming for the price and piece count. Would have been much better to either make a UCS 60's era batmobile OR a massive, fully complete Wayne manor complete with grounds/gardens, but no batcave. Trying to do Wayne manor, the batmobile, the bat cave, helicopter, motorcycle and so on in one set will only leave you with small builds for 8 year olds, not a serious looking kit for 14+.

I think they have done a pretty good job of recreating the look of the Batcave. I wish they had used some dark bley in the rocky part of the cave and better represented the heavy foliage of the secret entrance and included a sliding door but alas. It's kinda an odd one too in that as a display piece for AFOLs it's pretty ugly (and impractical height) but I can't really see too many parents buying it for their kids as a playset either at that price.

I'll be very interested to hear how long the build time is for this set. For this price, I like a few evenings worth of work. From the pictures, that isn't what I'm going to get.

Looks like a really cool set! Too bad the designs of the minifigures aren't those of TT Games.

What would be the point of that? It's supposed to reflect the tone of the TV series, not the LEGO Batman games.

What would be the point of that? It's supposed to reflect the tone of the TV series, not the LEGO Batman games.

The minifigure designs from Lego Batman 3 are actually more accurate to the show than the physical designs we have now. I couldn't place it before, but after seeing some comments on Brickset, it's the eyes that are off on Batman, Robin, and Riddler. That being they are white shapes instead of visible eyes.

Edit: Well, no, actually they got it right for Catwoman, so what the hell Lego. :hmpf:

Which brings me to my question. What do you guys want? You are getting 2526 pieces, if you follow the "loose" rule of 10 ¢ per piece. That brings the price of the set to $252.60. Plus you are getting 9 minifigs. $270 doesn't really seem too high of a price to me. Maybe by about $20, but, that is all.

Jamie

I want something that doesn't feel like 3 sets that would normally run like $40, $40, and $90 when I am spending $270.

I thought I would grab a couple sets for example in the same part and price range. I know not all of the sets I list are licensed sets but still you can clearly see that these sets are way better priced for what you get. I am a HUGE batman fan and have been waiting for this set but the problem is look at the actual build of the sets I listed and then look at the build of this set and tell me it should be $270. If I am spending $270 on a lego set I want it to feel like I am getting something worth $270 and I know its all subjective to what you think is worth $270 but still. I mentioned it in another thread but they have all the computers and science lab stuff and it has no where to go how do you sell a set for this price and then say oh and you just need to randomly set all the extra stuff on the side somewhere. It would be like them saying here is the new modular and here is all the furniture we made for it but doesn't actually fit in it anywhere.

Simpsons House 2523 parts $199

Parisian Restaurant 2469 parts $159

Sea Cow 2741 parts $249

Sandcrawler 3296 parts $299

Temple of Airjitzu 2028 parts $199

Detectives Office 2262 parts $159

Brick Bank 2380 parts $169

Ghostbusters 4634 parts $349

So to answer your question about what do we want well I can't speak for everyone but I think this set should have been $220 at most.

The Simpson's House is the one thing on that list that shows the price disparity in that and this Batcave more than any others. We've known that there's a licensed premium which is why things like the Parisian Restaurant and the Detective's Office can be similar piece counts but cheaper whereas the Simpson's House is also a licensed set and is a 'property' build with vehicles and accessories so has a physical comparison to the Batcave.

The computer banks and lab being on their own is something that stood out for me also but a baseplate can hopefully rescue that situation. It probably should have been around $220 or so which would have landed it at around £200 for the UK release.

That being said I'll be biting the bullet and picking this up and taking the VIP points as some solace along with the Mr Freeze promo fig (which all being well we'll get). For those who are minifig collectors I can see these going for around £30 each or so on the secondary market (except for Penguin) with Bruce and Dick being slightly lower. If that Batman figure doesn't appear in anything else it'll be heading for original Alfred territory once retired.

Captain Nemo, I agree that the physical figures are off just a little (mostly because you cannot see their eyes when they are wearing their masks - which is quite unlike the '60s show). I really like the set and hope to purchase it, however, my only gripe with it really is The Penguin. Other than the newly colored top hat, it is the exact same Penguin face and torso from the Arkham Asylum set. Burgess Meredith as The Penguin was my absolute favorite from the television show and I am disappointed that they didn't model the minifigure after his look.

Captain Nemo, I agree that the physical figures are off just a little (mostly because you cannot see their eyes when they are wearing their masks - which is quite unlike the '60s show). I really like the set and hope to purchase it, however, my only gripe with it really is The Penguin. Other than the newly colored top hat, it is the exact same Penguin face and torso from the Arkham Asylum set. Burgess Meredith as The Penguin was my absolute favorite from the television show and I am disappointed that they didn't model the minifigure after his look.

I must admit that looking at the Penguin on the show the face isn't too bad... It's the torso with the closed button on the jacket which is the one thing that's off as all reference I could see had the jacket open with the white dress shirt showing. I think I may have to spray a white band around some regular black legs for his spats.

Yeah, I noticed the eyes almost immediately, but truthfully I prefer it this way. For Batman and Robin seeing actual eyes has never appealed to me, to me it's like the new Harley head, having regular eyes surrounded by black just looks kind of weird to me.

As for Riddler I would have preferred a different version entirely. It just baffles me that instead of doing a suit version of him they gave us the leotard for the third time. It's not like the 66 version of the leotard is that different from any other version of it. Just less muscles and a different mask style. I also question the inclusion of Bruce, Dick and the Penguin. Each of them have only one new part, so this makes me wonder why they bothered to include them at all if that was the little bit of effort that was going to be expended on them. There's many other characters they could have included over them. For the millionth time; Batgirl.

I can't help but think I would have rather done without the cave entrance. It's pretty useless other than it also happens to act as a helipad (Which is also useless as a feature). I'm conflicted on the Wayne Manor portion of it too. The study is neat, but ultimately kind of disconnected from the rest of it. I feel like ultimately they started adding things just to hit a price point.

Let me know where you can buy Cafe Corner for $120

That MOC was just copied from the version in LB3 though. For any of it's faults I don't think the set can be accused of copying other people's designs.

I meant you could get a Cafe Corner Series set for $100-$120 less than this and will have the same amount of pieces.

290 Euro's on the Dutch site. While it's supposed to cost 250 Euro's in Germany. I feel I'm getting robbed.

We need a AFOL in the US who's willing to ship these sets to us...

Man this is dissapointing I really wanted this set.

shaggysanchez, that list you gave was pretty eye opening. The biggest surprise was the comparison from the Simpsons House to this Batcave. For some odd reason I never payed attention to the piece count in that set. Regardless, that comparison alone shows what a licensed set with that many pieces should cost and look like. The '66 Batcave is by far the most disappointing set this year.

You can't even blame the price or materials as the reason for the high cost considering how cheap oil has been since October 2014. Oh well I guess.

It is a shame they could not have done just the Batmobile and some of the minifigs. I really cannot see justifying the cost of the set just to get those. Instead of <POW!> or <BAM!> inserts, how about <OUCH!> for the wayward price?

It's kinda an odd one too in that as a display piece for AFOLs it's pretty ugly (and impractical height) but I can't really see too many parents buying it for their kids as a playset either at that price.

I agree with this. I don't understand the target audience for this set. The subject matter would suggest it's for AFOLs, right? It's a fifty-year-old Intellectual Propertly, so presumably, Lego is aiming this set at adult collectors and hobbyists who were fans of the show. And likewise, adul collectors are more likely to be able to afford this set.

However, the set itself seems to be designed for kids, with more of a "playset" approach, rather than "shelf appeal." I think most adult collectors are looking for Lego sets that look cool on the shelf. This set doesn't seem like it will look cool on your shelf. It looks like a big, ugly, brown blob. Plus, how many kids can afford that price tag?!?

Lego is smart enough to recognize that there's a market for superhero sets aimed at adult collectors (like the Avengers Helicarrier, which has TONS of shelf appeal). This set misses the mark though. It's too ugly and disjointed to appeal to adults, and kids aren't going to be familiar with the property.

I'm not a Batman fan, so I'm not excited about the set. The Batcave is just a (man)cave to me. However, I wouldn't mind having the Batman's room with that gorgeous wallpaper.

shaggysanchez, that list you gave was pretty eye opening. The biggest surprise was the comparison from the Simpsons House to this Batcave. For some odd reason I never payed attention to the piece count in that set. Regardless, that comparison alone shows what a licensed set with that many pieces should cost and look like. The '66 Batcave is by far the most disappointing set this year.

You can't even blame the price or materials as the reason for the high cost considering how cheap oil has been since October 2014. Oh well I guess.

I think this has already been mentioned, but the licensing fees for this set must have been much higher than usual. DC Comics (owned by Warner Bros) owns Batman, but 20th Century Fox and Greenway Productions jointly owned the 1960's TV series. Greenway's ownership stake was fragmented after the owner died, and it took years and years and years to work out a deal to release the series on home video. Fox and Warner Bros eventually worked out a split ownership/royalty stake, but it was a giant headache. And I'm assuming that they have to get a larger share of the royalties (because they have to be divided up). If this was a non-1960's TV series Batcave set, I bet it would be priced between $200-250.

This article has a great recap of how convoluted the whole thing is. Warning: contains lawyers - http://www.wired.com/2014/11/batman-home-video-finally/

I'll voice my opinions here, I guess:

This set is not worth the price at all. It's not nearly as impressive as something its size and price should be. The right module is great, with the office (wallpaper bricks!) and exterior being fantastic (no way to transform, though, just deploying the heroes.) The center and left, though, are completely disappointing due to a complete lack of play features. There are zero action features anywhere on them! While the reactor is nice, it would have been nice to see something to do. There isn't even enough floor space to pose figures and play with it in a dollhouse manner, and the lab setup has nowhere to go! The vehicles are solid, but they don't justify the price and poor quality of the structure. For $270, we should have gotten more on the cave itself.

Stickers are not a selling point, just a nuisance.

The figures are fantastic, and I bet you can tell which is my favorite. (for posterity, it was Joker). However, for this price, the Mr. Freeze bonus poly should have been included, and of course, Batgirl. She was a pretty important character, and LEGO managed to get around the mold restrictions by putting Catwoman's hair in S14. Why not make a new cowl, put Batgirl in Jokerland, and recolor it for the '66 Batcave?

All being said, this is just a huge disappointment. For its price, it provides the buyer with too little to do and not enough substance. I will certianly be buying this, but not without the aid of gift cards, birthday money, and VIP points.

However, I am afraid that they'll try to force us to buy this set by making Freeze a set-exclusive bonus. *crosses fingers that he'll be the monthly offer for any purchase above X amount of money*

I think this has already been mentioned, but the licensing fees for this set must have been much higher than usual. DC Comics (owned by Warner Bros) owns Batman, but 20th Century Fox and Greenway Productions jointly owned the 1960's TV series. Greenway's ownership stake was fragmented after the owner died, and it took years and years and years to work out a deal to release the series on home video. Fox and Warner Bros eventually worked out a split ownership/royalty stake, but it was a giant headache. And I'm assuming that they have to get a larger share of the royalties (because they have to be divided up). If this was a non-1960's TV series Batcave set, I bet it would be priced between $200-250.

This article has a great recap of how convoluted the whole thing is. Warning: contains lawyers - http://www.wired.com/2014/11/batman-home-video-finally/

Somehow I missed this. Thanks for the info though, it explains a lot.

Looks cool!

However, I'm just a bit confused with this topic, is this the actual official discussion thread for this set? or is there another thread where we can discuss this set? and also is there a rumors thread for what may be in this set?

Just given Eurobricks latest trend of making a new topic for every single line of discussion about Lego themes, Just a bit confused what to say here.

Looks cool!

However, I'm just a bit confused with this topic, is this the actual official discussion thread for this set? or is there another thread where we can discuss this set? and also is there a rumors thread for what may be in this set?

Just given Eurobricks latest trend of making a new topic for every single line of discussion about Lego themes, Just a bit confused what to say here.

D2C sets get their own thread when they're officially revealed. Previously, rumors for the set were discussed in the DC thread.