MKJoshA

[SR-FB3] Falling Out With Foxx

OoC: This is my 3rd freebuild, if you are not a Sea Rat please mark whether you vote for this build or not!

Cho Fang was the captain of The Viper. A small, but well armed ship for its size, The Viper was good for hauling various kinds of cargo without getting caught at sea by anyone looking to relieve her of said cargo. Sinbad started as a member of its crew by mopping the deck, cleaning out the buckets from the crew quarters, helping the cook, and any other simple duties the captain and quartermaster could find for him to do. From the beginning of the voyage Sinbad could tell that quartermaster Li Fang (son to the captain) did not like him. It was obvious by the less-than-savory duties and looks Li gave him. But after a few days at sea, after Sinbad had proved his claim to be a hard worker Li began to let off. However, there was still some obvious resentment harbored by Li against Sinbad. Sinbad assumed it was because Cho, Li’s father, had forced the issue of hiring him on as deck hand. Sinbad didn’t understand why, if there was so much tension between the father and the son, how one was captain and the other quartermaster until after he learned that on pirate vessels, the crew votes to decide who fulfills those rolls. This crew had served under Cho Fang for many years, but enough of them saw his age as a potentially fatal flaw and so voted his son into the position of quartermaster.

After leaving Rassilon, The Viper took its cargo back to Olean where a Lord Foxx was waiting to purchase it. Upon arriving at the docks Sinbad helped with the unloading and everything seemed to be going according to plan until some Bluecoat guards came up to them and demanded that they come with them.

Sinbad found himself marched with Captain Cho and a few other members of the crew unlucky enough to be at the docks at that moment towards a large stone building situated equal distance between the heart of the city where La Noblesse lived and the docks where the working man lived. They were taken into a room where Lord Foxx and an advisor were arguing.

24194017202_2e130cb330_c.jpg

23934363289_4d7b00af83_c.jpg

“Ah,” began Lord Foxx, “Good, you’ve arrived. Men, you may go now.”

24219688191_fffdf8fc17_c.jpg

“Lord Foxx,” stated Captain Cho, “I demand to know the meaning of this! Why have you interrupted our work and brought us in like common criminals!?”

“It’s quite unfortunate, really” began Foxx. “You see the Order has found out about our little venture of reselling the goods you obtain from the pirates at quite a profit here in Olean. Since you are not one of their approved, taxed and monitored methods of trade, they have threatened me with the Clerics of Hades unless I cease my partnership with any ‘unapproved’ privateers and quietly donate a substantial sum to the Church.”

“So you would turn on me, a man who has brought you good business,” replied Cho, “just like that!?”

“Well, it’s not like I had a choice really” stammered Foxx. “But please don’t think I’m going to leave you with nothing. I’ve already arranged to purchase your cargo through a friend of a friend who has ties with Eslandola. You won’t receive as much money for it, but it’ll be a fair price. I brought you here in chains for show, to make it seem like I had really changed, but after dark I will sneak you back to your ship. It’s unfortunate our partnership must end, but please don’t look on me too unkindly. I do not share the freedom you pirates know on the Nest, I am bound by the rules of the Order.”

23934351359_62769b3ba3_c.jpg

Lord Foxx looked concerned and nervous as he waited for Cho to respond, “Well?”

“You have honor,” began Cho, “I cannot fault you for that. Many men would not have done as you have for us. But you lack a spine.”

And with that Captain Cho turned to leave. In the morning The Viper set sail, back to the port of Rassilon at The Nest of Thieves.

Great build, those blue windows look really sweet and great use of those curly pieces for the table! The book looks kind of funny open like that... if you could have put a couple of white tiles that might have made it look more like a book - but the rest of the stand is really nice! thumbup.gif

I knew the Oleanders were a mischievous bunch, up to no good! That is what all that religion will do to you! pirate_laugh_new.gif

The room looks nice, the characters are great, and I really like that book rest! What really steals the show is the storyline, though, and I will be looking forward to seeing what those chineesy pirates will be up to! (And to see their ship!)

In short: I approve :thumbup:

Thank you to all who have commented on the book stand! I can't take all the credit for it though. I got the initial idea from this Ideas project.

Great build, those blue windows look really sweet and great use of those curly pieces for the table! The book looks kind of funny open like that... if you could have put a couple of white tiles that might have made it look more like a book - but the rest of the stand is really nice! thumbup.gif

I didn't think of adding white tiles to the book, great idea!

I knew the Oleanders were a mischievous bunch, up to no good! That is what all that religion will do to you! pirate_laugh_new.gif

The room looks nice, the characters are great, and I really like that book rest! What really steals the show is the storyline, though, and I will be looking forward to seeing what those chineesy pirates will be up to! (And to see their ship!)

In short: I approve :thumbup:

I'm glad you like the story! It's the story that keeps me building more than the building keeps me story telling.

Very nice build. I like those massive walls and the big archway; the blue windows are lovely as well. It looks really nice considering that grey is the dominant color, but blue always stands out when used with it. The table and book stand are beautiful but... it looks like someone ripped all the pages from the book and fled; it must have had some sensitive or incriminating contents! You've done well with the different minifigs and their poses and the elevated floor gives it a serious courtroom-type mood. Good work and of course...

I approve.

Very solid build MKJ! It looks perfect! And I am in love with the lectern!!

Approved!

Nice build with suitable minifigs and som excellent details (as already mentioned) :classic:

The presentation and photography are also great! What lighting setup did you use for this (particularly intrigued by the light through the blue windows)?

One suggestion for improvement however would probably be to have different colors of the walls and floor, it's a bit too much lbg now.

I approve!

Edited by Gideon

Nice build with suitable minifigs and som excellent details (as already mentioned) :classic:

The presentation and photography are also great! What lighting setup did you use for this (particularly intrigued by the light through the blue windows)?

One suggestion for improvement however would probably be to have different colors of the walls and floor, it's a bit too much lbg now.

I approve!

I just use poster board and a photography light with an umbrellas diffuser. I meant to take a picture to show the light I use, but forgot to until after I had already put it away! default_hmpfbad.gif

So here is the poster board:

24578364496_97292942e9_c.jpg

Nothing fancy. I use Gimp to get rid of the lines. I don't know how the lighting turned out the way it did. I didn't do anything special. It probably just reflected off the poster board.

On another note, there are still a few days left for people to vote whether you like this build or not! If you do, I'd really appreciate your approval or thumbup.gif