Sign in to follow this  
MKJoshA

[SR-FB1] Recruiting at Marco's

Born the 3rd son of well-to-do land owner in Olean Sinbad was expected to join the clergy as all good 3rd born sons were known to do. His oldest brother was to inherit the land from their father, and the 2nd son was already a person of note in the Olean Navy. And if Sinbad were to follow tradition, he would become a well spoken clergyman. But Sinbad did not believe in the religion of his people, and he did not want to be stuck on land his whole life. His heart yearned for the sea so to the sea he went.

His full story is for another time, but after more than one voyage, Sinbad ended up on the island known as the Nest of Thieves. The island lived up to its name and soon Sinbad found himself penniless.

­­­­

Not without resources, Sinbad lifted a few coins off of a drunk who had passed out in an alley. The coin was just going to be spent on drink, thought Sinbad, so what harm was there in him being the one doing the drinking? He entered a loud tavern known as Marco’s and settled into a corner.

23675439603_47c39c6bfb_c.jpg

He noticed many of the bar’s patrons were of an ethnicity different than most he had encountered on the main lands of the peninsula. He assumed they were of the Orient, a land even further south and east than New Oleon. Their speech was a little different, but easy enough to understand.

“I tell you father, we are wasting our time here!” the man standing at the shoulder of “father” said. “The best men are to be found at the bars closer to the docks.”

“Yes young grasshopper,” “father” replied, “But those men are also more blood-thirsty and less likely to appreciate the fine line our crew must walk in our endeavors. Remember, you are not captain for a reason, you still lack much experience.”

“Ha!” the son exclaimed, “I may not be captain, but as quartermaster I hold just as much power as you. Be careful not to forget that!”

“You’re arrogance does not become you Li” he replied. “Now are we going to continue to argue like dogs over a bone or are you going to find us some more recruits? We need at least one more member if we are going to pull off our next privateering run for Lord Foxx.”

24302246625_7748af6709_c.jpg

Sinbad perked up at this. He wasn’t sure he was ready to join a bloody-thirsty crew. He needed a ship with a level headed captain so he could learn how best to make a living in this new world he had entered. A privateer was nothing more than a sanctioned pirate who managed to turn some profit towards the one who sanctioned him. But a captain who accepted a privateer’s license was more likely to give Sinbad a chance to learn how to be a good crewman without too much punishment or ridicule.

“I couldn’t help but overhear that you’re in need of another member for your crew” Sinbad said as he stepped over to their table. “Where do I sign up?”

“We don’t take just anyone you sewer rat!” spat the son. “You look like you don’t know your fore from your aft sails!”

Ignoring the tirade of his son Li, the father asked, “You look Oleander by birth, where do you hail from?”

Sinbad looked down at his feet, “My past is not important, only my future. I wish to sail the seas and live a life on the oceans. I may not know much yet, but I swear I’m a quick study and a hard worker.”

“Hmm,” nodded the father. “A man who runs from his past always finds it just behind him.” The father looked Sinbad in the eyes for a long time while Li looked bored and impatient. At least the father said, “I am captain Cho Fang. Will you serve me and my crew as a faithful member and able bodied hand?”

“Sign me up” was Sinbad’s reply.

Additional shots:

23934423919_738c854833_c.jpg

23934406689_4fb8b8a760_c.jpg

Lovely wall techniques, altough the second wall seems a bit bare in comparison...

Lovely build,

Sounds like Sinbad is in for an adventure. I like the beamed wall.

Very nice build MKJ, as mentioned above, the arches and crossbeams are excellent, and I really like the small tables and glasses on the wall as well! pirate_classic.gif The brown wall is a bit plain though, it could certainly use a bit more to spice it up pirate_wink.gif

Born the 3rd son of well-to-do land owner in Olean Sinbad was expected to join the clergy as all good 3rd born sons were known to do. His oldest brother was to inherit the land from their father, and the 2nd son was already a person of note in the Olean Navy. And if Sinbad were to follow tradition, he would become a well spoken clergyman. But Sinbad did not believe in the religion of his people, and he did not want to be stuck on land his whole life. His heart yearned for the sea so to the sea he went.

Hmm, an Oleon who stood to inherit nothing and went to sea. And the second son a "person of note" in the Oleon Navy. Why does this seem so familiar? :pir-tongue:

More to the point, this is a great way to introduce your character. The last picture in particular does an excellent job of setting the scene. The floor looks a little worn, and the lamp is fantastic. Furthermore, the frame and arch wall has a simple elegance to it.

May I ask what part you used for the lamp stem?

My only critique would be the cleanliness. It may not be the favorite hangout for the bloodthirsty, but I'd expect any respectable pirate tavern to have crooked pictures on the walls and bottles on the floor!

Beautiful tavern and great way to introduce Sinbad! I like how you have made the scene come alive without cluttering it, and your story really sets the scene!

My only complaint is that you made me throw away my studies to go build a junk! :P Creating those sails have given me cramps and a desires to burn all things Asian, but on the plus-side, it turned out pretty well! :)

I think that is the "paint roller" part...a couple of ninjago sets and the detective office had them....

Great interior scene, those arches look really good and the lantern is great! Shield adds a nice touch to the other wall as well! thumbup.gif

Lovely wall techniques, altough the second wall seems a bit bare in comparison...

Very nice build MKJ, as mentioned above, the arches and crossbeams are excellent, and I really like the small tables and glasses on the wall as well! pirate_classic.gif The brown wall is a bit plain though, it could certainly use a bit more to spice it up pirate_wink.gif

I tried to spice it up with the shield, but I agree that I could have added a little more texture. I tend to be a clean builder so that's sometimes hard for me!

Hmm, an Oleon who stood to inherit nothing and went to sea. And the second son a "person of note" in the Oleon Navy. Why does this seem so familiar? :pir-tongue:

More to the point, this is a great way to introduce your character. The last picture in particular does an excellent job of setting the scene. The floor looks a little worn, and the lamp is fantastic. Furthermore, the frame and arch wall has a simple elegance to it.

My only critique would be the cleanliness. It may not be the favorite hangout for the bloodthirsty, but I'd expect any respectable pirate tavern to have crooked pictures on the walls and bottles on the floor!

I think that is the "paint roller" part...a couple of ninjago sets and the detective office had them....

The part is indeed the paint roller handle! In particular from the Master Wu's Dragon set. As for the cleanness, I agree that a little more clutter would have helped. I've been trying to improve on that for years now and still have a long way to go!

Very nice interior scene, the wall on the left side looks great!

The colonization seems to be a great opportunity for a lot of the people who are on the wrong end of Oleon's strict primogeniture traditions :wink:

This is a very neat tidy scene. I like the big beams on the left and the row of bottles are a good way to detail the other wall. But my favorite feature is that lantern - it's simply the perfect use for that part because it looks better than any other design I've seen. Good intro and keep it up.