Saga of the Sea Rats, Volume 1: Piraat Rhys in Bastion

Previous: Moonraker Sail Company

Next: The father and the son...

|~+=@&@=+~|~+=@&@=+~|~+=@&@=+~|

Log Entry - Bastion, Day 136

Capt. Rhys F. DeTaillefer

License type: Class 2T

I had mentioned earlier that Lord Plantagenet had come through "and more....." ....and now I will clarify.

In addition to the ample supplies and goods, we also received a small trade vessel named "Le Dindon"

24198479622_7bd4dca7fd_c.jpg

Le Dindon at sea by Christopher Briggs, on Flickr

Though not huge, she's more than enough to get us on our feet...she was good to go to work as soon as her cargo was unloaded...

The Decks had been meticulously cleaned....

23678451104_0b62ab1104_c.jpg

Deck w/ Hold hatches and loose cargo by Christopher Briggs, on Flickr

the holds were clean....

24280522196_1b6ebbf900_c.jpg

Aft cargo hold by Christopher Briggs, on Flickr

all of the brass had been polished...

23938832659_584a2a6f86_c.jpg

Le Dindon side details by Christopher Briggs, on Flickr

Overall, a fine...and somewhat fun....vessel indeed!

24224162661_9fafdfe88f_c.jpg

Le Dindon Castle by Christopher Briggs, on Flickr

Even if it's essentially named "The Turkey....."

24198480492_92f4cea0ee_c.jpg

Aft / rudder view by Christopher Briggs, on Flickr

I think our first order of business will be to update the sail plan to something more suited to these waters....

24487805371_44419a6db2_c.jpg

Le Dindon reborn by Christopher Briggs, on Flickr

=================================

Thanks for visiting!

Edited by Vedauwoo

Really cool ship!! It is the first time I see modern railing on a classic ship, but it fits well!

What class will you licence this in the future?

Really cool ship!! It is the first time I see modern railing on a classic ship, but it fits well!

What class will you licence this in the future?

This one is licensed at a "Cog" or Class 2T

yeah another ship for the Sea Rats!

looks good over all.

but what is that T bar going forward from the mast?

but what is that T bar going forward from the mast?

A (supposed to be) hidden technical feature to help the sail look more "full of wind" (seems I found a term for this, but have lost it...)

Edited by Vedauwoo

This is a beautiful trade ship! I really like how all the details are very clean, and it really does look like it has just been made ready for inspection! There is hardly a stud in sight, the cargo is elegantly organised, and the colours stand out beautifully! pirate_satisfied.gif

I really like the capstans, the bowsprit and mast, and the aftcastle.

With the almost flush deck, the hull looks rather modern, while the rigging looks as if it is from the beginning of the age of sail, with the one big square sail. To make it more harmonic, I would suggest to move the mast forward a bit (it is going to be hard to steer with the sail pressure so far aft) and to add a jib to make it look more modern and give it better performance close to the wind. pirate_classic.gif

It appears to be completely unarmed - not even a swivel gun to fend of raiders? pirate_oh.gif

Overall, great job!

Nice ship! The prefab hulls work well here, good use of gold and dark blue! thumbup.gif

A (supposed to be) hidden technical feature to help the sail look more "full of wind" (seems I found a term for this, but have lost it...)

So if the wind blows from the rear of the ship, why are the flag on top the mast floating toward the rear? pirate_laugh2.gif

This is a great cog! Once I get my ship built, maybe we can go on a raid together.

A fine ship sir! Blue/black combination, spacious cargo hold, the awesome chains on the bow, the all seeing parrot :P And although gold details do match with the colors used, i would have placed them stud by stud (one stud with gold round tile and one without etc etc) so as not to steal the focus of your whole lovely creation.

So if the wind blows from the rear of the ship, why are the flag on top the mast floating toward the rear? pirate_laugh2.gif

Come on! Admit it that it looks cooler that way even though it defies the laws of physics! At least this is how i used to put all my ship flags while i was still a kid!

It appears to be completely unarmed - not even a swivel gun to fend of raiders? pirate_oh.gif

Well, she has these two "extremely light" Rifles....er muskets.....I may upgrade them for a reshoot.....didn't make the post as I think I read we are limited to 6 images.

23697373983_c6bcedebc3_c.jpg

Le Dindon Bow by Christopher Briggs, on Flickr

There was a bizarre upslope condition resulting in a thermal inversion near the coast with a counter laminar flow just above the surface....lol

A fine ship sir! Blue/black combination, spacious cargo hold, the awesome chains on the bow, the all seeing parrot :P And although gold details do match with the colors used, i would have placed them stud by stud (one stud with gold round tile and one without etc etc) so as not to steal the focus of your whole lovely creation.

Thanks! I did them like this on a previous ship with a similar side cladding....

20045468271_9c747efe26_c.jpg

The Hag's Breath...(WIP) Lower Cargo Deck by Christopher Briggs, on Flickr

Lovely detailing and presentation, great use of those transparent round plates in combination with the clean backdrop :classic:

There was a bizarre upslope condition resulting in a thermal inversion near the coast with a counter laminar flow just above the surface....lol

Or the air flows backafter hitting the sails... pirate_satisfied.gif

Thanks! I did them like this on a previous ship with a similar side cladding....

The Hag's Breath...(WIP) Lower Cargo Deck by Christopher Briggs, on Flickr

I really like that grey and yellow ship pirate_satisfied.gif

This is another fine vessel - though I must say the decor on the sides and the railings in particular look really modern for what would otherwise be an older type of ship. It's a smooth tidy design and the details like the capstans, hatches, and stern layout are nice. I also think a jib or two would improve the look, and at least a couple of dedicated swivel guns per side. But overall this is still a nice vessel. Good work.

Excellent ship Ved, it was great before, but those extra sails certainly improve the look (not to mention the swivel guns pir_laugh2.gifpirate_wink.gif)!