Saga of the Sea Rats, Volume 1: Piraat Rhys in Bastion

Previous: A new arrival in Bastion...

Next: "Le Dindon"

|~+=@&@=+~|~+=@&@=+~|~+=@&@=+~|

Log Entry

Capt. Rhys Flaidd DeTaillefer

Bastion, Day 134

License type: Artisan (small)

Despite my suspicions to the contrary, old man Plantagenet made good on his promise...17 days after we arrived in Bastion, the supplies he promised, and more, arrived. Brit and I found an abandoned set of walls that made for a great workshop...It appears the structure may have burned at some time in the past...but the walls are stone and masonry...and as sturdy as an ox. After another few weeks of scrounging and bartering with our new neighbors, The

Sail Company opened her doors....

24291015172_672f84be66_c.jpg

Moonraker Sail Company Repaint by Christopher Briggs, on Flickr

Lady Marcia has hired a few talented locals to assist in the cutting room...

23679847593_76bca7c145_c.jpg

Moonraker Sail Company workshop on Flickr

The Plantagenets' personal carpenters made, for us, a superb cutting table of the finest quality.

We surely will have much work out here upon the great sea, I worry what favors will be asked of us by the family down the road....

24224164311_b2d87247bb_c.jpg

Planning the cut - Cutting Table - Moonraker Sail Company on Flickr

The shop has become somewhat of a "place to be seen" for the local ladies....(of the night, that is....)

24224163521_3cd5cab3ef_c.jpg

Ladies of the night about town on Flickr

As a matter of fact, this guy has been here for days......

23938832929_3761838a69_c.jpg

Lazing on a Sunday afternoon by Christopher Briggs, on Flickr

==============================

Thanks for visiting!

Edited by Vedauwoo

That's a nice building. I'm particularly fond of all the details on the interior, especially the roof's framework. The exterior is a little too colorful for my taste (but I appreciate you sticking true to the Sea Rats' colors).

I am somewhat concerned by the open chests of gold in the front. Seems like those would be quick to disappear in any pirate town.

Very nice build overall, and I really like all the details you've put into the workshop :classic:

I also think your presentation of the build is very good!

The only thing which looks odd to me (other than the non-Lego parts :wink:) are the colorful tiles on the roof.

Excellent job depicting the fibrant atmosphere that's going on!!!

Like Gideon said, the roof is not my favourite part neither, but other than that, a very solid build pirate_classic.gif

Nice build and presentation - as others have said, you have a lot of great interior (and exterior) details, and it really does look like a place where sails are made. I particularly like the large table and the pieces of cloth hanging by the wall.

And to put it right at the dockside is a stroke of genius! (Although I hope this "painting" was from high tide, as the waterlevel can't get much higher without invading the shop! pirate_tong.gif

I also really like the small sailboat and the minifigures you have included, although one wonders why those "ladies" frequent that shop so much! pirate_wink.gif

Great build, there is a lot going on there. it for sure looks like a sail maker's place.

Very nice build overall, and I really like all the details you've put into the workshop :classic:

I also think your presentation of the build is very good!

The only thing which looks odd to me (other than the non-Lego parts :wink:) are the colorful tiles on the roof.

We were going to just have a tarred roof...but the girls insisted on more colour...so we chose the patriotic colours of our new homeland....it does make it a bit more "circus," but every town needs a couple of ugly buildings....lol

That's a very nice workshop, and I can live with the colorful roof. It adds a little flair which would be expected in any "respectable" pirate settlement. The interior is beautiful with all the sail-making details, the big chandelier, and the steeply-raked rafters. The boat at the dock is really nice too. I'm guessing that they'll stay busy considering their profession - and if not, well, one wonders what might go on inside when the ladies are around considering the furnishings... Do I spy one of the inkwell pieces atop the torch? Interesting build. Good work.

The interior is top notch! Really good work! And i like the choice of occupation! The only thing that imo distracts the viewer is the colorful roof :-) but since it uses blue... Well, lets say i wont complain, unruly pirates... :-)

The exterior is a little too colorful for my taste (but I appreciate you sticking true to the Sea Rats' colors).

The only thing which looks odd to me.....are the colorful tiles on the roof.

Like Gideon said, the roof is not my favourite part neither....

The only thing that imo distracts the viewer is the colorful roof :-) but since it uses blue... Well, lets say i wont complain, unruly pirates... :-)

You will all be happy to know we've repainted the roof! pirate_laugh_new.gifpirate_blush.gif

Wha...? No sooner than I comment and you've changed it! But seriously, I think it looks better in red and black... it seems more piratey that way!

...Do I spy one of the inkwell pieces atop the torch?

Yep....they do good for a "candle flame holder." Came up with that method over the holidays....lol

I started to warm up to the roof colors. Depends on what feeling you want to convey. It looks less comical now, but much tougher. The like the work on the inside ceiling. And dirty cats all over the place. I approve :thumbup:

That definitely has that messy sea rats feel to it, I'd love to see a whole port in this style.

The only thing that could be better is the roof, IMO it would look better in all black or with perhaps a random touch of dark bley.

I love the build and its attention to details. The torches, the chandelier, and the bench inside the shop are great details. The cats on the dock are a great touch also. I also like how you did the masonry. It made it a smooth wall, but with enough variance to make it look real.