Brickthus

[MOC] Technic Star Wars movingBB-8 Droid with Power Functions

On seeing that there was no working LEGO BB-8 Droid on the shelves at Christmas 2015, and only ready-made products from other companies that would not hold my interest, I decided to do what I could to redress the balance.

Here is my project to create a moving Technic BB-8 droid with Power Functions.

post-910-0-31012300-1452472323_thumb.jpg

The aim of the project is to make a driveable BB-8 droid with Power Functions that the user would build from instructions like a normal Technic kit. I will leave programmability as an option for EV3 experts to do in another project.

SInce one of the criteria for viability as a LEGO set is the price point, I am aiming for £100, similar to the Cargo Plane 42025. Even with the motors I hope it will end up no more expensive than the Crawler 4x4. The Sphero product is £130 so my project needs to demonstrate equal value to the user for that sort of price.

So far I have a Technic sphere with an internal mechanism to roll it, though I am making improvements before making a video.

I started with a tiny head for the first prototype, then a rather squashed head for the second one.

Now, with the first update to the project I have a much better head shape. The head also has a self-levelling mechanism.

The sphere, made with Technic axle joints and panel pieces, is a bit uneven, so I have improved that too. The updated head is designed to cope with some unevenness.

I hope to get it to roll reliably soon, so that I can post a video for a further update. There will be more updates throughout the year as I make improvements.

Please would you take a look and support the project.

Remember that you will be supporting the idea of a driveable LEGO Technic BB-8 droid that the user can build themselves; I will get as far as I can this year, or in any time extension that is granted following your support.

Many thanks! Please spread the word and share with your friends. It will take a lot of support for us to let the LEGO company know we want them to produce a moving BB-8 droid in a set!

Mark

Edited by Mark Bellis

This is awesome! Like Rishab said I too did not think this was possible.

Is there a chance of a video for this :excited: ?

Your MOC is cool, no doubt about it. But the key to success is definitely a working model, so I am anxiously awaiting a video. No video, no vote :laugh:

If you like to be as genuine as possible, you will need to work on the size of the head, or the body for that matter.

Your MOC is cool, no doubt about it. But the key to success is definitely a working model, so I am anxiously awaiting a video. No video, no vote :laugh:

If you like to be as genuine as possible, you will need to work on the size of the head, or the body for that matter.

I guess the level of evidence to attract votes depends on the type of project - some concepts get lots of votes without a single LEGO brick being used! There are also a lot of LDD-based projects on there.

I might grow the body a bit. The next size up would be about half scale to the "real" droid. It will leave more room for counterweights and steering mechanisms. I have a few things to try.

I still want a buildable Technic BB-8 even if my own MOC turns out not to be a complete solution by the end of the time limit.

I note that Sphero already had a sphere product moving before they made their BB-8 so it was an easy step up with a short development time. TLG would take 2 years and 50 prototypes for a decent Technic BB-8, so it's no wonder there was not LEGO one last Christmas and don't be surprised if it takes me a while!

I will also need some stronger magnets. I had some strong sewing magnets years ago so I will look for some. As long as they are packaged in a non-swallowable piece then it would still be safe. They might be in a weight-block package so that would not be a new piece; still keeping all the rules :grin: though I notice the Ghost Busters Fire House set used a new fireman's pole piece!

Mark

I posted another update. I have applied one of my flight experiments to the project, using PF train motors to get a flywheel to spin very fast.

The flywheel drive configuration is capable of making a Ninjago Airjitzu spinner take off under PF LiPo power.

I also upgraded the drive system, using XL motors and wheel bearing frames to simplify it.

Time to build up the sphere at a slightly larger size before some more tests!

Mark

This is awesome! Like Rishab said I too did not think this was possible.

Is there a chance of a video for this :excited: ?

OK, after another significant update to the model, I've posted the first video! :grin:

The body is now larger so it fits much better with the size of the head.

After about 60 hours' work there is still a lot of work to do and a long way to go, but at last something works reasonably well and I have a good idea how to improve it.

Mark

I think this is a wonderful project. Even if it doesn't completely materialize. I like a good project that is innovative and different. But.... . just watched the video... it looks like you are making some progress.

Updates 4, 5 and 6 posted!

I have recessed the 8x8 radar dishes in preparation for adding tools.

I have substituted some new parts to improve the colour scheme and close some of the gaps in the shell.

I've started on another mechanism update, working towards steering.

Pictures now in my Brickshelf gallery (when moderated).

Mark

Edited by Mark Bellis

Agreed. also I think the holes in the body are too large to accept. otherwise a+

With Updates 7, 8 and 9, the holes in the shell are starting to close.

The latest changes have added quite a few deployable tools as the minor functions.

- The flame tool for "Thumbs Up"

- Some arms, which I have speculated might be similar to R2D2's arms.

- Working on the map drawer. So far the panel opens.

- Cables. Whilst the real BB-8 apparently has compressed liquid cables, I have found room in the shell for 3 reels of tubing.

There are more tools we haven't seen yet, like a possible circular saw. I would make all the tools deployable from within the shell; no add-ons.

I've started testing the steering function. At its best, the sphere will turn with a radius of 0.5 metre. This is as good as an RC car of comparable size and can be achieved without a perfectly smooth sphere, unlike full holonomic motion.

I will have to update the internal mechanism when some more parts arrive. I could add the basic head-control arm at the same time.

This is on course to have similar functionality to Volvo Loader 42030, with 4 motorized functions and some minor functions, for a similar price point.

Pictures now in my Brickshelf gallery (when moderated again).

Mark

Please post a video on hear.

Post #8 above has a link to the first test video.

Mark

With Updates 10, 11 and 12 there have been quite a few changes to BB-8:

- A new head design.

- more details on the previous head self-levelling mechanism.

- more details on counterweights and the working of the steering function.

- further improvements to the colour scheme.

- a new safe but versatile magnet encasement scheme for holding the head on. This can be applied to other models too. The LEGO system needs a more versatile magnet piece.

BB-8's first outing to a show was OK, with some experience to feed back into the design.

I'll be working more on the spinning function soon.

Support is approaching 800 people. Please join in and help it reach 1000 soon.

Thanks,

Mark