Sign in to follow this  
Hod Carrier

Prototype HST - LEGO Trains Golden Jubilee (LDD MOC)

Hello.

You might remember my terrible idea of a Golden Jubilee train building standard to mark the 50th anniversary of LEGO trains. My thinking was that rather than creating something wonderful, packed full of innovative techniques and bang up-to-date it would be nice to do something different by back-dating MOCs to the style of early LEGO train sets.

To this end, I have knocked-up a prototype British HST.

23994690700_35009f7277_b.jpg

It uses no SNOT techniques and just those parts likely to have been available in decades past and is built on standard train bases, although it does have modern wheelsets and would have PF train motors and accessories. There is still work to be done on the interiors.

Thoughts...?

The Intercity 125 trains arrived in the time frame of late 1970s and early 1980s if I recall. I think it is a fitting style for HST. (HST is Harmonized Sales Tax in Canada, boo.)

Love that old school train look. :thumbup:

Looks like it could have been an official set in the 9 volt era. :)

Thanks. That's the look I was going for. I took a lot of inspiration from the 4.5 volt intercity train from set 7740 released in 1980. In fact, the passenger coach is lifted almost entirely from the set.

Have gone a bit mad and extended it from what could have been an official LEGO set to a full-length monster.

24009511920_069dca526d_b.jpg

The Intercity 125 trains arrived in the time frame of late 1970s and early 1980s if I recall. I think it is a fitting style for HST.

Love that old school train look. :thumbup:

Thanks. The prototype train appeared in 1972 while the production trains, branded as InterCity 125, began to appear in 1975 and first entered service the following year.

the metroliner seems to be the most iconic Lego train..... IF there is anything special. I bet it will be something metrolinery

As nice as it would be, I'm not putting this forward as a proposal for an official LEGO set let alone an anniversary edition. It's just my idea for a way to mark the 50th anniversary of LEGO trains. But while the Metroliner may be the most iconic set in some parts of the world it doesn't necessarily have the same status elsewhere. And that's always going to be the problem with any LEGO trains release.