Divitis

[MOC] Suspended monorail train

post-152712-0-36321400-1452364128_thumb.jpg

Hello everyone!

Here's my version of a suspended monorail train, hope you'll enjoy it :blush:

I'm introducing it here because this forum has been quite helpful to me while building this, especially for the doors design.

To see more of it please head to this page: http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/423851

You can see hi-res pictures and a short video here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23071566@N02/sets/72157663217856521

Cheers!

Wow.... just.... wow........ I've seen a couple monorails in the past using the single rails..... but they were NOTHING like this.... heck even my monorail was just a train with training wheels. Amazing work man!

That is excellent work. I've been mulling over the concept of a suspended monorail for a while but yours is far better than I could ever have done. All you have to work out now is how to make it go around curves. Ha ha!!

What a great monorail! I have never seen something like that before. Could you show how you made it running? I can't see the wheels (or gears) that move on the track.

Hello again, and thanks for the nice comments!

What a great monorail! I have never seen something like that before. Could you show how you made it running? I can't see the wheels (or gears) that move on the track.

The only suggestion is to improve the transmission ratio to make it go a bit faster!

I wish I could post more pictures but unfortunately I work abroad and Lego is back home.. so I won't be able to get hands on for a couple months at least. But I attached the new gearing design in LDD to the mocpages page. It shall make it 1.7 times faster and you will be able to understand which wheels I used too.

That is excellent work. I've been mulling over the concept of a suspended monorail for a while but yours is far better than I could ever have done. All you have to work out now is how to make it go around curves. Ha ha!!

Oh it does take on curves nicely, but for testing my friend and I were literally holding the rail up, so no video of that lol!

Excellent job. It reminds me a bit of that elevated train in Germany. The video is very choppy on Flickr. Do you have one on YouTube?

Excellent job. It reminds me a bit of that elevated train in Germany. The video is very choppy on Flickr. Do you have one on YouTube?

Yes!

Here is the video on youtube:

Edited by Divitis

Wonderful - simply wonderful.

I am using that very train every now and then - efficiently traveling back and forth in the city of Wuppertal/Germany.

Thanks a lot for sharing that great MOC!

Best wishes,

Thorsten

Thank you all for the compliments! :) :)

I am using that very train every now and then - efficiently traveling back and forth in the city of Wuppertal/Germany.

Oh I rode that train too, it's really cool! But it's only since I moved to Dusseldorf a few months ago that I decided to build something like this, because the train shuttle that connects the airport terminal to the S-Bahn station is precisely a suspended monorail! And the two minutes ride is the best thing about catching an early flight ;)

Oh WOW.

Brilliant work. And that with working doors. Amazing.

It seems a bit slow, is that to enjoy the scenery? Or can it go faster?

A new boogie is in the works, it shall make it go at least faster than a walking mining :) If you want to go technical, I attached the new design as building instructions to the mocpages page.

Cool design! Can it move through a curve as well?

Yes it does take turns, and since the attaching point of the boogie is at the very front of each car, I can say it does look fairly elegant too. :)

It also manages small inclines, and I hope that by making it faster I won't make it loose this feature.

Unfortunately the test track was literally suspended on mine and a friend hands, so there's no video of it. A big update is coming in a few months when I'll be back home. I plan to improve the gearing and of course also extend the tracks.