Major_Ton

The UCS Hype. What will 2017 bring? (40th Anniversary)

If it is something specifically for the 40th anniversary then it needs to from anh. I am guessing either star destroyer, tantive 4, or a death star. They won't do another x wing or tie fighter. I am guessing star destroyer.

I wish I would of bought a bunch of star destroyers back when they were on clearance for $100.

I don't really think a 40 year anniversary of the movie is going to affect their plans in anyway. Lego is going to continue to design and sell sets based on what they think will make the most money. If that means a star destroyer, it will be a star destroyer, but the anniversary is pretty irrelevant.

I hope it will be something huge with 5000+ parts again :-) Nothing better than a long and extensive build. The new 10240 X-wing was too easy and the 75059 Sandcrawler doesn't cut it for me. A new UCS Falcon is something I crave for. I bought one when it was still sold by Lego and sold it a few months later to someone who really, really wanted this set (for the normal price). I don't regret doing that since I made a kid very happy, but somehow the desire to build one never left. I tried to Bricklink a 10179 Falcon a few weeks back, but that ended in misery when the costs passed the € 1200,- mark... That was simply too much for me. I sold the parts I already ordered and started hoping for Lego to introduce a new version soon ;-) A new UCS ISD would nice as well!

I think a new Death Star is coming, but i´m hoping for a new 5000+ parts Falcon again. The prices on the old 5000+ bricks is a joke. The later ones, aren't good enough in my eyes.

I forgot about the Falcon in my above post. I could see them doing another falcon for the 40th. If they do end up doing a ship from anh for the 40th anniversary I would be happy with either lego doing the mf or a star destroyer.

I don't really think a 40 year anniversary of the movie is going to affect their plans in anyway. Lego is going to continue to design and sell sets based on what they think will make the most money. If that means a star destroyer, it will be a star destroyer, but the anniversary is pretty irrelevant.

Why wouldn't Lego make a big set and market it as a 40th anniversary special? That would make the anniversary completely relevant.

They might. They're just not going to make a big set they wouldn't otherwise have made simply because it's a 40th anniversary. If they didn't think a $500 UCS Star Destroyer would sell last year, then they wouldn't all of a sudden think it would sell because they slapped a 40th anniversary logo on it.

They might. They're just not going to make a big set they wouldn't otherwise have made simply because it's a 40th anniversary. If they didn't think a $500 UCS Star Destroyer would sell last year, then they wouldn't all of a sudden think it would sell because they slapped a 40th anniversary logo on it.

You don't know that. Maybe there will be a 40th anniversary blu ray release that is heavily advertised and lego will decide to make a set that they wouldn't have otherwise made to capitalize on the increased interest. I don't know to what degree the anniversary will affect their decision but saying that it will be irrelevant is wrong.

Edited by jdm44

You don't know that. Maybe there will be a 40th anniversary blu ray release that is heavily advertised and lego will decide to make a set that they wouldn't have otherwise made to capitalize on the increased interest. I don't know to what degree the anniversary will affect their decision but saying that it will be irrelevant is wrong.

Well a UHD (4K) HDR Blu Ray release might be an option, so who knows what Lego will do to take advantage from the hype. Many here claim a 40th ann. release should be ANH based, but it is ofcourse also a 40th ann. for Star Wars in general. All options are open I guess. I want something BIG!!

Would you buy a set you otherwise weren't going to because Lego put a 40th anniversary logo on the box? I doubt it, and neither would most people. A 40th anniversary is not going to affect sales of a $400 set. If they put out another UCS Falcon it's because they think it will be successful; that has nothing to do with a random anniversary date. Why would 40 be more special than 35? It's completely arbitrary.

Would you buy a set you otherwise weren't going to because Lego put a 40th anniversary logo on the box? I doubt it, and neither would most people. A 40th anniversary is not going to affect sales of a $400 set. If they put out another UCS Falcon it's because they think it will be successful; that has nothing to do with a random anniversary date. Why would 40 be more special than 35? It's completely arbitrary.

It's human nature to celebrate milestones such as anniversaries. Would a 40th anniversary logo on the box influence my buying decision? No. However, it is an excuse to release something "special". By special I mean what others have speculated...an iconic ship/vehicle from a ANH. TLG have form in this area (ie. 10th anniversary of SW Lego logo). You also have to remember that a key to the success of marketing large and expensive UCS sets is nostalgia. I don't think it would be lost on the marketing team at TLG that there is a legion of nostalgic SW (and Lego) fans in their 40's who grew up with the original trilogy and have disposable income. As to your point about 40 being arbitrary and no more special than 35 years I respectfully disagree : )

My point was that the 40th anniversary will coincide with an increase in public interest in which LEGO will take into consideration when designing their Star Wars ANH products for that year. I don't know how you can say that the 40th anniversary will have zero affect on sales.

Anniversaries are not random or arbitrary. The 40th anniversary of ANH is more special than the 35th the same way that 40 years of marriage or 40 years of being alive is more special than 35.

Edited by jdm44

Im hoping for something big from A New Hope...

What about a Mos Eisley UCS?

Im thinking the Ubrikkian trade tower, some dirty streets, and hangar bay 94... :grin:

Even tho I dislike rereleases, I would die if I could just walk in and pick up a UCS Falcon :blush:

Well judging by ebay prices, people would see a rerelease as another scalping opportunity, might still be hard to get hands on, especially if its only Lego stocking it!

Well judging by ebay prices, people would see a rerelease as another scalping opportunity, might still be hard to get hands on, especially if its only Lego stocking it!

Prices might finally collapse on the first UCS MF if they release another one. Bursting the bubble!

Edited by Major_Ton

Prices might finally collapse on the first UCS MF if they release another one. Bursting the bubble!

Whilst a re-release of the UCS Falcon would probably negatively impact the value of the original I can't see prices collapsing. The kind of collectors who are willing to pay 5K+ want the original, which undoubtedly will be magnitudes more rare. Having said that I think TLG needs to re-release the UCS Falcon to halt the continued meteoric rise in 'value' of the original. If the bubble did burst it might actually have a domino effect and spook investors. As much as I hate the practice of price gouging by resellers it does add perceived value to the brand. Without that I don't think we would be seeing so many awesome UCS and other AFOL orientated sets released by TLG.

I hardly doubt they would simply re-release it. A new model, maybe a bit smaller would be highly more likely in my opinion.

But yeah, anything that hurts the resellers would be a nice move by Lego, whatever it may be they do.

I think that the blockade runner is quite likely as it is the first ship seen in ANH.

For non-ucs sets, I would like an x-wing (anh with the same basis as the tfa ones) a tie and a y wing fighter all in scale with each other (minifig) and sold as separate sets, each one of which includes a modular death star trench section so that buying all of them would make a trench as well.

Columbus

I'd like to see a set like the ewok village but maybe order 66 on the jedi temple with some 501st clone troopers or a traditional ucs set maybe something like the a-wing or obi-wan's blue jedi intercepter with the hyper drive ring with it.

I could easily see a UCS falcon being released next year. Theres a lot of room to update the previous UCS design, and they could include the ability to have it in either Episode IV or VII style depending upon how you want it. The Falcon seems to be the only ship in the Sequel Trilogy to carry over from the original ( at the moment at least ), and it appeals to all generations of fans. Also by then the current Falcon will be discontinued and if it has a large presence in Episode VIII then they'll be a lack of a Falcon set to capitalise on the movie. LEGO would also be in a difficult position as they'd struggle to justify releasing a standard Falcon, due to only having done one two years previously. I mean people complain about LEGO remaking sets too soon, another standard Falcon would probably generate a lot of negative reactions from AFOLs.

So a UCS Falcon seems like a smart move, people love the old one, but either can't afford the after market price or wish to invest the large amount of time source its pieces. There's also a lot of new components and elements that LEGO has released in the last decade that can really smooth out some of the blocky curves on the previous one. They could also do something similar to what they did on the UCS Helicarrier, by giving people they chance to add Power Functions. Especially if they don't include an interior again, LEGO could take capitalise on all that free space by allowing you to add light up engines, motorised ramp, motorised landing gear or a well lit cockpit.

There's so many possibilities.

I'm kinda afraid to get on the hype train. Look what happened with http://brickset.com/sets/75098-1/Assault-on-Hoth We all got hyped about it, thinking it would be as good as the ewok village, maybe a new AT AT, and it ended up being a play set cobbled together out of the last 5 Hoth sets. And it was delayed for 3 months.

Blockade runner, ISD or the Falcon are safe bets. Death Star is already coming in 2016 ( so are we told ). A new falcon would definitly be cool ( maybe of a sizing between the last UCS and the latest TFA Falcon for a decent interior ).