Major_Ton

The UCS Hype. What will 2017 bring? (40th Anniversary)

8 minutes ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Then you'd best not open your eyes so big: *huh*

You're right, the only solution is to close them...

Here's some food for thought - Brickbuilt C-3PO of the same scale as R2 or an updated TIE Advance. 

On 17/01/2017 at 8:46 PM, Lepralego said:

Ouch! Insult on Hoth hurts my eyes... *huh*

The one thing that hurts my eyes more than the set itself is anytime someone calls it "Insult on Hoth". Seriously big forum pet peeve here. I cringe everytime I see it. :sick:

6 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

Here's some food for thought - Brickbuilt C-3PO of the same scale as R2

Don't mean to be rude, but do you know how freaking big that would be?

Found a custom one, but even the size is off.

14079630562_bd0f71b460_m.jpg

Edited by VaderFan2187

Yes, it would be big but with some action figure/bionicle style building techniques, it would not have to have an insane piece count. 

9 hours ago, wesker said:

The one thing that hurts my eyes more than the set itself is anytime someone calls it "Insult on Hoth". Seriously big forum pet peeve here. I cringe everytime I see it. :sick:

Ups, Assault on Hoth! it was the self-correcting... :wink:

3 hours ago, Lepralego said:

Ups, Assault on Hoth! it was the self-correcting... :wink:

Haha, autocorrect must really hate that set…

On my phone autocorrect always changes "Assault on Hoth" to "Assault on Both" :angry:

Ok, BEFORE Assault on Hoth, what was the worse UCS? Naboo Starfighter? Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter? I know I don't really like those two.

15 minutes ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Haha, autocorrect must really hate that set…

On my phone autocorrect always changes "Assault on Hoth" to "Assault on Both" :angry:

Ok, BEFORE Assault on Hoth, what was the worse UCS? Naboo Starfighter? Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter? I know I don't really like those two.

Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter is actually a fantastic model, the problem with it is scale and the fact it is vastly over sized compared to every other ship we've seen. Naboo Starfighter is better scaled (still too big) but the model is not as well done in my opinion so i'd say Naboo is the worst of the UCS ships. then there are the busts, Yoda and Maul, neither one really is all that great but not having a modern comparison I'm not sure where to rate these.

Edited by GallardoLU

4 minutes ago, GallardoLU said:

Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter is actually a fantastic model, the problem with it is scale and the fact it is vastly over sized compared to every other ship we've seen.

I don't really like the fact that its piece count is lower than some system sets too…

Obi-Wans starfighter and the Naboo starfighter both seem to suffer a lack of scale. They're too big for system scale, and too small to be as impressive as a UCS should be, but neither are bad models. I agree the Yoda and Maul busts aren't great, but that might be because they're so different from other UCS sets.

4 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Perhaps Assault on Both refers to 'good taste' and 'your wallet', in that case your phone's autocorrect is marvelous! :laugh:

Edited by Lepralego

2 hours ago, Lepralego said:

Perhaps Assault on Both refers to 'good taste' and 'your wallet', in that case your phone's autocorrect is marvelous! :laugh:

LOL!

Anyone else notice that the Ewok Village set is filed under retired sets in North America? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not remember ever seeing the "Retiring Soon" label put on the product to let consumers know it was going. With Carrie Fisher passing I was considering picking the set up using VIP points to pad the cost, primarily for that superb Leia fig. What do you all think are the odds of Lego re-releasing the village?

I bet the chances of a new ewok village in the next 5 years are slim to none with my guess being none.  It's a marvelous set.  Combined with the battle of endor set it's absolutely amazing.

8 hours ago, Irish437 said:

I bet the chances of a new ewok village in the next 5 years are slim to none with my guess being none.  It's a marvelous set.  Combined with the battle of endor set it's absolutely amazing.

Actually, don't be too sure, look at the Death Star...

Has anything been confirmed as to a UCS yet? Sorry - I very rarely check the Star Wars threads so would have a lot of reading to catch up on! I have just seen over on Reddit though that somebody asked how much it would cost to Bricklink a UCS Falcon and CM4Sci replied with "Why not just wait for this years?" - not sure if that's more of a solid hint or anything.

I believe a Snowspeeder has been confirmed for this year. May 4th I think (although you might want to check that) The falcon is still a rumour a this point, although given Lego just rereleased the DS seems likely.

20 minutes ago, Captain Britain said:

Has anything been confirmed as to a UCS yet? Sorry - I very rarely check the Star Wars threads so would have a lot of reading to catch up on! I have just seen over on Reddit though that somebody asked how much it would cost to Bricklink a UCS Falcon and CM4Sci replied with "Why not just wait for this years?" - not sure if that's more of a solid hint or anything.

10 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

I believe a Snowspeeder has been confirmed for this year. May 4th I think (although you might want to check that) The falcon is still a rumour a this point, although given Lego just rereleased the DS seems likely.

Thanks for the heads up!

1 hour ago, brobert said:

The Death Star needed updated figures and there were new building techniques and firing mechanisms.  The ewok village doesn't need any updating other than Hans hair and leia in poncho from the shuttle set.

7 hours ago, brobert said:

The Death Star was released in 2008. Ewok Village in 2013.

1 hour ago, VaderFan2187 said:

The Death Star was released in 2008. Ewok Village in 2013.

He said the next 5 years.

43 minutes ago, brobert said:

He said the next 5 years.

Then it will depend on the advancement of LEGO Star Wars minifigures in the future. Currently the figures look detailed, but if LEGO Star Wars eventually incorporates dual-moulding and more arm printing, there is a potential for a rerelease, as the likely reason for the rerelease of the Death Star was to update the minifigures and change the retired moulds into new ones.

49 minutes ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Then it will depend on the advancement of LEGO Star Wars minifigures in the future. Currently the figures look detailed, but if LEGO Star Wars eventually incorporates dual-moulding and more arm printing, there is a potential for a rerelease, as the likely reason for the rerelease of the Death Star was to update the minifigures and change the retired moulds into new ones.

I agree, as of today I think only very minor adjustments could be made to the Ewok Village set to "improve" it.. It's just, with the Sandcrawler, Death Star, Snowspeeder and now rumored Millennium Falcon remakes, does it not seem probable that Lego would just re-release it like the rest anyway?.. Eventually. 

Rereleasing the Death Star so quickly also made sense in a way that an immediate rerelease of the Ewok Village does not... we had the Death Star-centric Rogue One hitting theaters and the 40th Anniversary of Star Wars just around the corner. God willing, there will be no Ewoks in Episode VIII (or any other property) that would keep the Ewok Village top-of-mind and thus on stores shelves.

What happened to 2016 release of A-wing vs. Vader's tie fighter? Just disappeared from Lego shop around the planet! Whilst some say we haven't had a UCS AT-AT,i disagree as i think the motorised 2007 model 10178 qualifies,as many sets designated with 10 as a starting a 5 figure sequence are considered UCS.Thinking we may see a second version of Vader's UCS Tie advanced alongside the postponed release of the second version of UCS snowspeeder.Many will remember the 2009,10th Lego constructor's anniversary version of Tantive IV,with less detail but similar piece count to the 2001,10019 UCS version.I doubt we will ever see another 10179 Millenium Falcon.Theres a certain prestige to the Lego brand that would be lost by doing it again.Lego will not risk damaging or devaluing the brand.Lego is very proud and protective of that specific set.Lot of time and engineering went into that set and it really set a benchmark.From carton,to certificate,to instruction book,to model.I doubt they will ever market such a comprehensive product again.In saying that,i was really impressed with the effort put into the 2014, 75059 Sandcrawler and wished they had followed up the same level of completeness of product to subsequent UCS product such as Slave1,which is beautiful,and the tie fighter.2016 UCS,Battle of Hoth was disappointing.Lets see where this goes in '17.