Major_Ton

The UCS Hype. What will 2017 bring? (40th Anniversary)

I'm actually worried about the potential of a re-do of a UCS MF.... due to a certain clone brand copying it and making it available for a lot cheaper, there are now people that will make do with that instead of the real thing. I have doubts that TLG would release one while the issue of the clone brand having its copy available is ongoing. I hope not :look:

3 hours ago, makoy said:

Not surprising as It was sold 2 years after RotS. We know that Prequel Trilogy did not revive the fandom of Star Wars as much as Lucas wanted it to be. However, after Disney bought Lucasfilm the Star Wars fandom is on its peak now.

As for the price... the Ghostbuster HQ is only 500 pcs less than the old MF UCS and yet I can tell that LEGO is not having a hard time selling a playset base off an old blockbuster film. The last thing I will worry or think about is the secondary market price as it is an entirely different discussion.

Your first comment is fair in my opinion too, but quite an unquantifiable risk for them with hard numbers to the contrary, no matter what the sales figures for far smaller SW sets looks like at present. it's no coincidence that LEGO continue to chose to produce playsets.

The ghostbusters HQ is a playset with a far lower price/piece. We all know both SW & (actual/adult)UCS sets cost considerably more. The Ghostbusters HQ was a relative bargain by comparison. Please share your source for the HQ's successful sales performance.

The SSD did not sell well either, which is the next most appropriately comparable set.

14 hours ago, N8thanAshley2 said:

The SSD did not sell well either, which is the next most appropriately comparable set.

I enjoy Star Wars ships as much a the next guy. But personally, i struggle to fork out the rrp for what is essentially a 3150 piece imitation door wedge (most in part due to it being scaled down so much).  The MF is a pretty decent looking space ship which is just pure eye candy in Lego form. I'd say barely comparable, if only for the fact it is the second biggest/most expensive SW ship they have released since.
Also, are you able to state your source for the SSD not selling well?

Regardless of how previous sets sold, anyone think a new MF would not sell well? I think it would do fine...

The reason I sold my 10179 was that it was too big for me to display anywhere, so a smaller one would be ok for me. A re-issue of the 10179 like the Death Star with just small tweaks to adjust for out of production parts would be fine too. Even with a $700-800 price tag it would still be cheaper than the used one I had...

I think a trench run set would be great. Include an X-wing, a Tie and a few turrets. Perfect for 40 years. Wouldn't break the bank either.

UCS stands for Ultimate Collector Series.  Collectibles tend to be display pieces.  I think a trench run set, even if it was done at midi or micro scale, would be a great idea!  Such an iconic scene.

While a great idea in theory... For us anyway...

It's giving me nightmare flashbacks to the Assault on Hoth kind of style... 

On 10/22/2016 at 3:56 PM, angywangy said:

I think a trench run set would be great. Include an X-wing, a Tie and a few turrets. Perfect for 40 years. Wouldn't break the bank either.

While it is a good idea, even at microscale, trench run will just be greebles all over.... It will be a very monotonous build unless you like to do that repeatedly. Also, with microfighters series you can recreate that already... You just have to create your own trench.

I still hope that TLG will release a ship that transcends generation.

I found this by googling 'UCS Star Wars Lego 2017'... any updates/rumours about this yet? I had been in a Lego Star Wars Dark Age for the last decade or so, since the original UCS MF came out and I just couldn't afford it so I gave up collecting the theme... but I have a bit more income now and have started collecting Star Wars again and curious about what the UCS will be this year. I'm hoping it's the MF, but from the original trilogy, rather than the new one... although I guess since the only real difference is that radar dish, they could do both in the same set, in a 'Millennium Falcon: Generations' kind of way. Preferably, if possible, a MF with a proper interior...

Alternatively a Tantive IV, since the only other versions are a bit out of proportion.

Edited by David Thomsen

7 hours ago, David Thomsen said:

I found this by googling 'UCS Star Wars Lego 2017'... any updates/rumours about this yet? I had been in a Lego Star Wars Dark Age for the last decade or so, since the original UCS MF came out and I just couldn't afford it so I gave up collecting the theme... but I have a bit more income now and have started collecting Star Wars again and curious about what the UCS will be this year. I'm hoping it's the MF, but from the original trilogy, rather than the new one... although I guess since the only real difference is that radar dish, they could do both in the same set, in a 'Millennium Falcon: Generations' kind of way. Preferably, if possible, a MF with a proper interior...

Alternatively a Tantive IV, since the only other versions are a bit out of proportion.

The rumor (discussed widely on the main 2017 thread) is a re-release or redesign of 10179.  Brickfan has a story summarizing the rumors, including the possibility of interchangeable dishes http://www.thebrickfan.com/new-rumors-of-lego-star-wars-ucs-millennium-falcon-coming/

We will see if the rumors are valid (I am hoping for confirmation at the NY Toy Fair in February). 

6 hours ago, jhoya said:

The rumor (discussed widely on the main 2017 thread) is a re-release or redesign of 10179.  Brickfan has a story summarizing the rumors, including the possibility of interchangeable dishes http://www.thebrickfan.com/new-rumors-of-lego-star-wars-ucs-millennium-falcon-coming/

Hi thanks for the link, it was hard to trawl through that thread since people seem to be just bickering about the Freemaker Adventure sets but I'll keep an eye out for news there now.

I think after the rehash of the Death Star, a new UCS Falcon wouldn't be the best idea. But it would definitely sell as hell...I would even find it hard to resist...but I hope it will be stg else..

I noticed that Brickset.com had a 2017 Star Wars set listed for the longest time as the UCS snowspeeder. It has now changed to just a regular unknown Star Wars set. Usually Brickset is not wrong when they post a listing. Anyone suspect that TLG is leaking false info to throw us off for the big release of the Millennium Falcon? Or maybe the Millennium Falcon is false as well and they have something completely unexpected planned for the 40th? 

22 hours ago, Dapper-D2 said:

I noticed that Brickset.com had a 2017 Star Wars set listed for the longest time as the UCS snowspeeder. It has now changed to just a regular unknown Star Wars set. Usually Brickset is not wrong when they post a listing. Anyone suspect that TLG is leaking false info to throw us off for the big release of the Millennium Falcon? Or maybe the Millennium Falcon is false as well and they have something completely unexpected planned for the 40th? 

Why would the MF be false? Unless TLG wants to be a killjoy, why would they claim to be making one? Also, the rumour would likely have appeared earlier.

I don't thing TLG ever claimed they were making a Millennium Falcon. They try to keep it as secret as possible prior to an official press release.

14 minutes ago, Dapper-D2 said:

I don't thing TLG ever claimed they were making a Millennium Falcon. They try to keep it as secret as possible prior to an official press release.

Yet another reason that may be the big reveal?

While I'm happy, I'm also kinda disappointed with all the rereleases. Are the designers running out of ideas?

On 10/24/2016 at 7:45 PM, makoy said:

I still hope that TLG will release a ship that transcends generation.

What do you mean? A 10,000+ piece Star Destroyer?

I reallyreallyreally hope that its not a MF, like people have said why remakes?, and if its not an EP IV set im going to be shocked

i ofcourse dont know anything about this but what if its a non-space vehicle?, what about the imperial landing craft?

5 minutes ago, moc_builder said:

I reallyreallyreally hope that its not a MF, like people have said why remakes?, and if its not an EP IV set im going to be shocked

The Millennium Falcon is an Episode IV set.

Just now, moc_builder said:

i know, but like i said i hope its not a rerelease

So, no Tantive IV either? No ISD either?

What else is as iconic from A New Hope?

What?, look at this like this, how many versions of the vehicles have we had:

MF: 4-5 different

Tantive iv: 1

star destroyer MKI: 3 (not counting mini and midi)

So no models which we just have had.