Sign in to follow this  
Bregir

[COR - FB/Intro/SigFig] Don Isaac Montoya

I, Don Isaac Montoya, hereby pledge my allegiance to the great nation of Corrington in the name of science and exploration!

23612876233_cb44fcbb13_c.jpg

Onwards to a coral reef of unique scientific import, their longboat passes a wreck near the sandy shores of yet another paradisiacal island. At the bow, Isaac Montoya is handling the sextant in an illusion of navigating the boat, while Jonathan Cooke is smirking, as he rows the boat disregarding the jibberish directions given by his friend. At the back, Charles Baker is looking forward to his first dive in the new diving suit procured by his mentor Montoya.

23944111550_1473a34949_c.jpg

Don Isaac Montoya (left)

The bastard son of a Eslandian count and a Corlander merchant's daughter, Isaac's upbringing wasn't easy. Although the count had secured him a considerable trust fund and access to the best schools, Isaac had to content with his equals regarding him with disdain, and most of his teachers with disrespect, or, in the best cases, pity.

Proud of nature and with the hot temperament of the southerners, he ended in many a duel as a young adult. To his own surprise, and at times even regret, he survived them all relatively unscarred, and emerged skilled with both blade and pistol. Ordinarily not of great physical prowess (some would say he is outright clumsy), most are surprised when he picks up his arms, and fights with great ferocity and skill.

However, his expensive schooling was not lost on him, and he is known to always be studying the world around him. Having attended, and later lectured, at most of the Queen's colleges and universities, he is an established name in the field of the natural sciences, medicine and anthropology . However, mathematics, and thus navigation, is completely lost on him, a matter much mused on by his close friend, Jonathan Cooke. Having recently inherited a large estate from his father, he has outfitted a vessel for an extended scientific expedition of the new worlds beyond the sea!

Cpt. Jonathan "The Bear" Cooke (right)

Jonathan Cooke took to sea at five as a ships boy in order to escape school and an overprotective mother. Due to his natural talent for all things nautical (and his father's connections at Admiralty), he was appointed midshipman at 11, a very young age for the amount of responsibility this entailed. However, he grew quickly with the challenge, and swiftly rose through the ranks. Blessed with plenty of naval conflict, he had plenty of chances to prove his mettle, chances he did not pass on, making him somewhat of a legend amongst his men. As a young lieutenant commanding a customs cutter, he took on Montoya as ship's physician, and they have been friends ever since.

A bear of a man, with a big mane of reddish brown hair, he quickly earned his nickname, and inspired respect on his own quarterdeck, and fear on the enemy's. A believer in superior gunnery, navigation, and tactics, he is not the first to go yardarm to yardarm with the enemy. However, when the time is right, he does not shy away from getting close and dirty.

As brilliant as he is in all matters nautical, as naïve he is in matters at land. Having several times almost lost his prize money to "scheming landlubbers", as he calls them, he is most at ease at sea, where his great interest and innate skill in mathematics and navigation makes him feel at home.

Charles "Charlie" Baker (middle)

Having attended a series of Montoya's lectures on the scientific possibilities of the new world, Charles Baker immediately took the opportunity when a position opened for scientific assistant to his newly established idol. As Montoya's assistant, he is now neck deep in an adventure of epic proportions, far outmatching the imagination of a simple baker's son.

Optimistic, scientifically acute, and somewhat foolhardy, he is always cheery and ready for new scientific exploration. Athletic in build, he has the physique for the more hands on parts of Montoya's expeditions, making up for his mentor's clumsiness. He is, in a mix between respect and friendly mockery, reffered to as "young mr. Baker" by most of the crew.

Ok ok, I couldn't help it - this simply seems too cool not to participate, although I forswore ever to commit to any other Lego world than the Guilds of Historica. My participation will be limited, but only because circumstances does not allow otherwise! Plus, all the cool kids are playing here! :pir-wink:

(Props to anyone who guesses the inspiration...)

Great to see you here as well! :classic:

Interesting to see such relatively advanced technology, the inventors of Corrington surely don't lack ideas and resources!

Thanks, Gideon :) And yes, I was wondering about the period vis-a-vis the diving suit, but three things led me to include it:

1) The age of sail is a very fluffy timeframe, I would say. If someone can give me a century, that would be most enlightening! :)

2) Being an alternate history universe, I figured there would be some leeway (yay, nautical pun! ;) )

3) I have next to no idea when this kind of diving suit was first invented... :P

That helmet is more or less around the 1820s, but still in the age of Sail, but Diving Bells were used for salvage much earlier, as early as the 16th century.

That helmet is more or less around the 1820s, but still in the age of Sail, but Diving Bells were used for salvage much earlier, as early as the 16th century.

Thanks for the enlightenment, Ska! I take it that means it is ok to use?

I was already considering a diving bell, and might include that in later builds.

Welcome Bregir! Very Nice water you've got there!

Thanks! As I said - all the cool kids are here! :D

I tried a simple depiction of rolling waves and think it turned out well :) Glad you agree!

Welcome ! Nice to see you here !

Thanks, Faladrin! Same to you! :)

Nice intro. The first pic looks great - beach, waves, rowboat full of men, wrecked ship - and the characters are good. I'm not sure of the helmet per se, but diving bells were used in that era (as Ska already mentioned) - the Spanish used a bell to salvage a significant amount of cargo, guns and treasure from the Santa Margarita after it sunk off the Florida Keys in 1622. Good concept and unique intro.

Nice intro. The first pic looks great - beach, waves, rowboat full of men, wrecked ship - and the characters are good. I'm not sure of the helmet per se, but diving bells were used in that era (as Ska already mentioned) - the Spanish used a bell to salvage a significant amount of cargo, guns and treasure from the Santa Margarita after it sunk off the Florida Keys in 1622. Good concept and unique intro.

Thank you, Capt'n! I am happy you like the build and the characters.

Since the helmet is based on the exact same scientific principles as the diving bell, and since you all seem ok with it, I am going to stick with it.

Welcome, Bregir. Nice build!

Thanks! Are you captains always coordinating your efforts? pir_laugh2.gif

Nice intro Bregir, the water doesn't look bad, and the island is quite nice! pirate_wink.gif Some great figs as well, especially Cooke pirate_classic.gif It is pretty clear though - ahem! - that it is Eslandolan territory and that they were just planting their flag there pirate_tong.gifpir_laugh2.gif

lovely idea to be a wreckage explorer. Great to see the diversity in Bobs.

Nice intro Bregir, the water doesn't look bad, and the island is quite nice! pirate_wink.gif Some great figs as well, especially Cooke pirate_classic.gif It is pretty clear though - ahem! - that it is Eslandolan territory and that they were just planting their flag there pirate_tong.gifpir_laugh2.gif

Pff, obviously that green flag is from an Eslandolan ship, but as you may have noticed, it has been sunk! Sunk like the rest of your puny fleet will be, should you dishonour or displease Queen Anetta!! pirate_pirate_angry.gif

Thanks for the nice words, Garm - And I hope we haven't lost you all from GoH to this wonderful new project! pirate_laugh2.gif

lovely idea to be a wreckage explorer. Great to see the diversity in Bobs.

Wreckages, reefs, islands, jungles! Whatever may hold biological treasures for a natural philosopher! pirate_satisfied.gif While Cooke will probably be influencing Montoya to, from time to time, exploring whether there might be more... traditional treasures to find, their mission is one of Science!

In the name of all that is holy (Science, obviously) - Long Live Queen Anetta and the Scientific Kingdom of Corrington!

Thanks for the nice words, Garm - And I hope we haven't lost you all from GoH to this wonderful new project! pirate_laugh2.gif

I hope not! I plan to still build over there fairly often (at least as much as before) and hope others do too - though Brethren of the Brick Seas will certainly be taking some of my building time away! pirate_laugh2.gifpirate_wink.gif