The islanders of the new territories (discovered by brave Eslandolian sailors) are quite industrious.

Their key profession is parrot-painting (one way to make a living as an islander...)

800x600.JPG

As it stands, all parrots on the island are actually born with grey plumage.

Only dedicated care and craftsmenship allow for the wonderful colours that we are so fond of.

The work is usually performed by all family members with the mother starting the first red coating, the children adding more colour, before the father will be applying the final touches, using several colours, depending on bird type.

800x656.JPG

By the way, the other key profession on the island is monkey-statue-making.

But that is a different story.

800x600.JPG

A decently skilled family can produce up to twenty parrots per day.

You can find more pictures on bricksafe.

400x80.jpg

Edited by Captain Braunsfeld
Flickr references removed

Haha, if there would be a category like "funniest entry", you should win it pirate_laugh_new.gif.

I really like the monkey statues and the palm tree. But I think, you could have made a better landscape for it... I wouldn't use olive green in a jungle, rather take normal or bright green. Also, some ground texturing would have been cool.

What I also like in this is the photography. The black background works very well, most probably way better than a white one would have been.

Hahahaha excellent and hilarious entry!!!

As Simon pointed out, a bit more texture on the ground would make some nice touches!

Great job with the monkey statues!

Hahaha !

Of course you made a funny entry !

Real good idea this painting story. I also like your monkey statues behind the native family !

Great job !

default_laugh_new.gifdefault_roflmao.gif Excellent idea Captain Braunsfeld, and very nice execution! The monkey statues and palm tree are quite good, and the family working on the parrots are in very realistic poses as well... supposing of course that they don't have to worry about the birds flying away! I do agree with the others that the olive plants look rather out of place here, and the lime doesn't look quite right either, but I do like the black background as well! thumbup.gif

Hehe, that story is class!

The monkey statues are definitely made by professionals, they look amazing

I love it!, it's really fun.

Thumbs up for making it appear like a very big and full scene while you don't even use that many bricks.

Haha, if there would be a category like "funniest entry", you should win it pirate_laugh_new.gif.

I really like the monkey statues and the palm tree. But I think, you could have made a better landscape for it... I wouldn't use olive green in a jungle, rather take normal or bright green. Also, some ground texturing would have been cool.

What I also like in this is the photography. The black background works very well, most probably way better than a white one would have been.

pirate_laugh_new.gif Thanks. I've tried white background and it looked just terrible.

Hahahaha excellent and hilarious entry!!!

As Simon pointed out, a bit more texture on the ground would make some nice touches!

Great job with the monkey statues!

Yes, I did not pay too much attention to the ground. One reason is that I found adding more elements would distract from the key element of the MOC (the painting family).

And the other reason is that this was a quick build. Idea, build and photography done within 60 minutes.

Hahaha !

Of course you made a funny entry !

Real good idea this painting story. I also like your monkey statues behind the native family !

Great job !

I had the statues ready for some time and now I thought they might look good in the background.

default_laugh_new.gifdefault_roflmao.gif Excellent idea Captain Braunsfeld, and very nice execution! The monkey statues and palm tree are quite good, and the family working on the parrots are in very realistic poses as well... supposing of course that they don't have to worry about the birds flying away! I do agree with the others that the olive plants look rather out of place here, and the lime doesn't look quite right either, but I do like the black background as well! thumbup.gif

pirate_laugh2.gif These are tame parrots. They don't fly away pirate_laugh2.gif

Hehe, that story is class!

The monkey statues are definitely made by professionals, they look amazing

pirate_satisfied.gif:monkey:

Hilarious!

Those statues are indeed great concoctions, awesome

pirate_cry4.gif Ok, the background is getting more praise than the actual scene...

Monkeys? Monkeys. MONKEYS!

Nice build, great statues!

pirate_satisfied.gif

I love it!, it's really fun.

Thumbs up for making it appear like a very big and full scene while you don't even use that many bricks.

It's supposed to be no more than 16x16...

You can't do much with that small space...

ah, monkey statues, there we go!

However, why don't you take your time and expand this build, it's still a lot of time until the challenge deadline1

That was definitely the funniest entry so far!

Excellent minifigs and presentation :classic:

12 replies to a mid-week-release within one day ...that is quite impressive!

What not to like? Clever, witty and above all a family activity according to TLG beliefs :)

pirate_laugh_new.gif Thanks

Really fun. Nice use of the different parrot pieces.

pirate_wink.gif I'm actually wondering why there was a plain red parrot. But anyway, that was fine for me.

That was definitely the funniest entry so far!

Excellent minifigs and presentation :classic:

Ok, I'll put a "funny entry"-tag on my wishlist. pirate_laugh2.gif

@Captain Dee: Up to you to spot the Shakespeare reference... pirate_wink.gif

Uhhhh...

Okay.

The best I can come up with is:

"Black backgrounds and white, red parrots and grey/Paint them, paint them, paint them, you that paint them may." (the song from "Macbrick"; "Shakespeare's Songbook")

WHAT'S GOING ON????

Ahem. Well. Where were we? Oh, yes: very nice challenge scene you've built there, Captain Funnybone. I truly do like a family-oriented scene even if the setting is meant to be humorous. Good use of the islanders again, especially the face-painted boy. I also think the solid-red parrots are kind of... odd but you found a good use. I think a little more detail on the base would be helpful - some terrain variation, or covering the ground with the big 6x5 leaves to avoid the distraction you spoke of. Who needs monkeys when you have bright-colored birds anyway?

Note to self: LOG IN before trying to post something, bozo!!

Edit: added to parenthetic reference

Edited by Captain Dee

Very funny. You made my day. great idea! I hated the grey parot since I got one in a mini castle set when I was a child. Only useful for castle buildings, so for me useless. But now I know I was wrong.pirate_classic.gif

The best I can come up with is:

"Black backgrounds and white, red parrots and grey/Paint them, paint them, paint them, you that paint them may." (the song from "Macbrick"; "Shakespeare's Songbook")

Ahem. Well. Where were we? Oh, yes: very nice challenge scene you've built there, Captain Funnybone. I truly do like a family-oriented scene even if the setting is meant to be humorous. Good use of the islanders again, especially the face-painted boy. I also think the solid-red parrots are kind of... odd but you found a good use. I think a little more detail on the base would be helpful - some terrain variation, or covering the ground with the big 6x5 leaves to avoid the distraction you spoke of. Who needs monkeys when you have bright-colored birds anyway?

Ooops - now you got me. It is not "Water, paper and clay" you are referring to?

It could have been "I see a grey parrot and I want it painted red" but it isn't. Pls. give a clue (different cultural background). pirate_look.gif

As for the base: Check out [CH 1a] And so they first met...

by Elostirion. He's got it worked out right. pirate_laugh2.gif

And as I am already working on new stuff (and as I am apparantly using a lot of words starting with "a" at this moment) I'm afraid I won't update my base (and the build has already been disassembled ...pirate_cry4.gif )

Very funny. You made my day. great idea! I hated the grey parot since I got one in a mini castle set when I was a child. Only useful for castle buildings, so for me useless. But now I know I was wrong.pirate_classic.gif

Yes, the grey parrot is pretty useless otherwise ... pirate_classic.gif

Actually, Captain, you had me with this one. My aging mental processor kept giving me an error: "There is not enough memory to complete this task. Please quit one or more programs and try again." So, I put to good use my PhD from Google University and came up with the "Black spirits and white, red spirits and grey/Mingle, mingle, mingle, you that mingle may" bit - which seemingly didn't originate with Shakespeare but apparently was perfomed in Macbeth in song (a witches chant?), barely noted, and largely lost to time. I'm not sure what gave you the idea that I know anything about pop culture reference... I'm actually quite bad with it, truth be told. But I do think the grey parrots make good statues, and not much else.

EDIT: added full reference

Edited by Captain Dee

What appears to be a cozy family setting. Except, it is supervised by an armed, masked man. And the monkey god is always watching... It's not easy being an islander without any means to escape what they deem to be reality. Very funny idea, and great statues. I approve, even though I haven't registered my character yet (will most likely be Eslandola though).

Edited by Sir Stig

default_rofl.gifdefault_roflmao.gifdefault_iamded_lol.pngdefault_laugh_hard.gifdefault_head_back.gifdefault_rofl.gifdefault_roflmao.gif

That was such a good laugh!

A nice and inspiring entry, I'm glad we can have humour in this game.

Thanks, a pleasure.

What appears to be a cozy family setting. Except, it is supervised by an armed, masked man. And the monkey god is always watching... It's not easy being an islander without any means to escape what they deem to be reality. Very funny idea, and great statues. I approve, even though I haven't registered my character yet (will most likely be Eslandola though).

The armed man is meant to protect the family so that they can work undisturbed.

But yes, the monkey god is in fact always watching...

pirate_satisfied.gif

We'll be happy to have you in Eslandola.

Regarding gray parrots:

They most likely depict African gray parrot? I kind of love these gray parrot-like medieval vultures/hawks/not-black-crows :)

https://en.wikipedia...can_grey_parrot

Wow, that is interesting. There are gray parrots!

pirate_satisfied.gif