sasbury

Refreshing the Lego fire sets

For the past decade, Lego has been doing an excellent job with the city fire sets. Compared with the sets of the Town Jr. era, the minifig design and set design are much improved.

That said, it does feel like Lego has hit a plateau with year’s releases. We're seeing lots of re-done ideas with the new fire station being an almost exact copy of the previous one.

Here are five practical things Lego can do to improve and freshen the lineup.

1. Update the main fire minifig. With Lego’s renewed emphasis on minifig design in other sets, this is an obvious area for improvement. The space-era air tanks aren’t accurate (they should be one cylinder instead of two). Helmets need printing . Most helmets should be black and not white (we have too many chiefs). Lego should add other helmet colors (yellow, blue, red, white) to indicate rank.

It would also be nice to see new mini fig designs to the lineup. We’ve long been waiting for a hazmat firefighter, a heat proximity suit, and an accurate paramedic.

2. Expand accessories. Somehow, police sets get a lot of new parts but fire sets haven't. A properly sized and colored axe and Jaws of Life are a couple of the items missing from Lego’s parts offerings.

3. Redesign the stretcher. The current design is from World War I. A stokes basket is long overdue.

4. Expand the sizes and colors of compartment pieces. The 1x4x4 lift door needs 3-high and 2-high variants. It also needs to be available in red (most important) and lime green.

5. Put the same thought into the fire sets that you’re doing with the Speed Champions sets. More research about the vehicles, more realism and more detail. Yes. you’ll need some simpler sets with lower price points for kids, but include some things AFOLs might buy, too.

How about an update of set 1656, or a life flight helicopter (please don’t make the underside dark grey) or a hazmat truck ?

Thank you!

-Steven (my MOCs)

Edited by sasbury

I also build fire apparatus but in 4 wide. The most of your ideas would be cool and a useful addition to the bunch of existing parts. And they would even fit to the smaller classic scale I prefer.

During the "The Fanwelt" exhibition in Cologne back in 2014 I had a chance to talk over this "problem" with a Legodesigner (btw, he created the #60085 powerboat set) and we discussed, why TLC won’t develop any other fire truck set than ladders or commando units. As an example of what else is possible I showed him my version of a 2-way-truck for heavy technical assistance on roads or tracks. He said, he would know, that a fire fighter’s job is much more about than fighting fires, but ladders are in fact pretty iconic and every child around the world know them. But the main issue is, that those sets should match with the particular conditions of most of countries where Lego products are sold. Simply told: in most countries fire trucks are red, have blue flashing lights and mainly fighting fires. The special operation divisions sometimes are so specific, that a child wound’t really know anything about it.

I think, it is more realistic, that TLC could expand the uniform or perhaps the compartment parts, but there's no way for some special operations cars and trucks.

That’s a pity, but imho that’s just how it is.

The only thing that we can do is to build the favored equipment with the level of detail we want to have. So, I did a new stretcher a while back and build most of the equipment myself (e.g. jaws of life)

trage05.jpg

witc03.jpg

Btw, we’re getting a yellow fire helmet in a this year’s Mixels set. Wohoo! :thumbup:

Stay safe,

Maik aka Farnheim

Good points, a new stretcher would be cool. I get that the ladder truck is more easily identifiable, but I think a few basic alternative vehicles wouldn't be too far out of the realm of possibility, could make for good small sets. I thought the 60061 Airport Fire Truck was a pretty bold move for a different style fire truck, no ladder on that one :)

The only thing that we can do is to build the favored equipment with the level of detail we want to have. So, I did a new stretcher a while back and build most of the equipment myself (e.g. jaws of life)

trage05.jpg

I really like the stretcher, well done! Edited by Oran

I've been complaining about this for a few months. Police sets get a bad rap for being redone to death, but the designs change and evolve. There is a City one, then a Forest one, then a City, then a Swamp, then City, then Island.

What does Fire have? A big red building, that's it.

So I thought of even a simple change to freshen up the series a bit...

Dark red. Add a little dark red to the fire station, have it be red and white and dark red, to break up some of the red and more red.

Also why not have some Airport Fire sets? I liked the yellow one that came out years ago, we are getting airport sets in the summer. Maybe in 2017 have a yellow Airport Fire station, with yellow fire trucks. My guess is we won't because yellow probably doesn't sell as well.

Add a little dark red to the fire station, have it be red and white and dark red, to break up some of the red and more red. Also why not have some Airport Fire sets?

Here are a couple of fire stations that Lego could draw inspiration from. Obviously, they'd need to compress the scale, but the colors provide good framework.

This was the inspiration for my fire station and is done in earth tones. https://brwfiredesign.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/img_8521edit.jpg

The dark grey of this fire station provides a good contrast to the red fire trucks http://www.djc.com/stories/images/20090408/Firetrucks_big.jpg

A mountain fire station would be a new approach for Lego http://www.cr-architects.com/images/home/features/BMFPD-exterior-12.jpg

Here's an airport fire station that could be nice. Love the lime green fire trucks. http://goo.gl/T4tD1b

Edited by sasbury

I like that mountain set, that would be a good sett. Have the two bays on the left and then the carport to the right would be great.

I too would like to see some more realistic colours for City buildings in general, but fire stations in particular, as I haven't ever seen a bright red fire station. Police stations are less of an issue in that respect as modern white buildings are fairly common.

I also agree that a rural fire station would be great. Too bad the LEGO City Fire Department didn't get one in the 2012 forest theme.

I too would like to see some more realistic colours for City buildings in general, but fire stations in particular, as I haven't ever seen a bright red fire station.

May I present Reedy Creek Fire District Station (on Walt Disney World Property):

3122931047_8dba677804_z.jpg

back on helmets over here white are for general firefighters, yellow officers and red batallion/zone/area chiefs. The top officers comissioners are black.

I also agree that a rural fire station would be great. Too bad the LEGO City Fire Department didn't get one in the 2012 forest theme.

I was a bit surprised too that Lego didn't release a fire Station for the Forest theme, especially when the City Advent calendar in 2012 had 3 Forest fire minifigs with a couple of small builds that had walls made from Medium dark Flesh (Medium Nougat) Masonry profile bricks with red and Yellow stripes which would made for a good colour scheme. It didn't have to be that big, maybe something similar in size to the Police forest one and more of a co-ordinating base.

Here are a couple of fire stations that Lego could draw inspiration from. Obviously, they'd need to compress the scale, but the colors provide good framework.

A mountain fire station would be a new approach for Lego http://www.cr-archit...exterior-12.jpg

I think this would make a great station. Medium Dark flesh (Medium Nougat) Masonary bricks with Sand Green grill bricks above the appliance hall doors.

At least here in Germany helmets have to be glow-in-the-dark. While old helmets are usually white, new ones are bright yellow. I never have seen the form of helmets Lego uses.

But fire definitley needs updated accessoires. The axes don't look like fire-axes at all and other than those there are basically only radios and extinguishers.

a rural station for the wildland/forestry trucks would be cool. agree it wouldnt have to be super fancy and maybe similar to the forest police would be cool.

I was a bit surprised too that Lego didn't release a fire Station for the Forest theme, especially when the City Advent calendar in 2012 had 3 Forest fire minifigs with a couple of small builds that had walls made from Medium dark Flesh (Medium Nougat) Masonry profile bricks with red and Yellow stripes which would made for a good colour scheme. It didn't have to be that big, maybe something similar in size to the Police forest one and more of a co-ordinating base.

I think this would make a great station. Medium Dark flesh (Medium Nougat) Masonary bricks with Sand Green grill bricks above the appliance hall doors.

Well I don't mind the fie sets. I don't often get new fires sets myself, but to say they need improvement... We can always MOD them ourselves.

I too would like to see some more realistic colours for City buildings in general, but fire stations in particular, as I haven't ever seen a bright red fire station. ...

Sorry to join in on this but:

Nieuwbouw%20brandweerkazerne%20Vaassen-ext%20%288%29.jpg

Which is actually quite nice I think.

And I also like this one:

C717%20Renovatie%20BrandweerKazerne%20Goor%20NL%202013%20ten%20dAm%20Architecten%2001.jpg

And there are more.

Are modern architects now copying LEGO or... :tongue:

As others have said, its LEGO, if you dont like the fire stations LEGO produces, build your own.

As others have said, its LEGO, if you dont like the fire stations LEGO produces, build your own.

Completely agree. And I do.

However, I think what started this thread is recognizing that

1. Some new parts are needed. For example, the current stretcher piece is from WWI and not accurate to anything post-1970. The firefighter oxygen tanks should be one cylinder instead of two.

2. Offering ideas to Lego for ways to refresh the current set lineup as some of Lego's current designs seem to be in a rut.

MOCs will continue to be the strength of Lego, but that doesn't mean Lego shouldn't continue to improve on their set and part design.

Basically, if you don't like the stuff Lego offer, make your own. I didn't like that their fire trucks would only hold one or two fire fighters, so I built one that would carry six

25943820185_a608360bb9.jpg

25311120614_200e45d98b.jpg

25917894986_781d3aeccb.jpg

25848834451_26dc5edf93.jpg

Edited by Big G

@Jonwil @BigG: I think sometimes our automatic reaction when people criticize what LEGO has to offer is to say "just build it yourself," but Steven does build his own fire MOCS - IMO he's one of the best builders of modern N. American fire equipment. I think he's got some good points about the accessories, and it would be really nice to see LEGO release the 1x4x4 lift door in red again. It was only released in red once, back in 1996, and the part currently sells for $20 each (!!) on bricklink.

@Farnheim: I just spent some time going through your gallery and I love your builds! I never thought 4-wide trucks could look so good/modern.

@Sasbury: Have you checked out any of David Henley's builds? He's made some excellent minifig-scale fire tools, including a stokes basket.

@all: I think one of the challenges LEGO faces with the fire line (and the train line) is that there's such a big difference between the European and American equipment and uniforms. Sometimes it seems like they're not sure which one they're trying to portray, so we end up with figures and equipment that aren't quite right for either region.

Just for fun, here's my firetruck MOC from a few years ago (heavily inspired by Sasbury), which I keep meaning to update but haven't finished yet.

9121621607_9054f23b31_c.jpg

9123835450_2a680cc54e_c.jpg

Edited by LucasLaughing

@Jonwil @BigG: I think sometimes our automatic reaction when people criticize what LEGO has to offer is to say "just build it yourself," but Steven does build his own fire MOCS. I think he's got some good points about the accessories, and it would be really nice to see LEGO release the 1x4x4 lift door in red again. It was only released in red once, back in 1996, and the part currently sells for $20 each (!!) on bricklink.

Thanks, @LucasLaughing. That was exactly the point I was trying to make.

@Farnheim: I just spent some time going through your gallery and I love your builds! I never thought 4-wide trucks could look so good/modern.

Awesome work at a 4-wide scale. Tweeted https://twitter.com/asburylego

@Sasbury: Have you checked out any of David Henley's builds? He's made some excellent minifig-scale fire tools, including a stokes basket.

His rescue tools are awesome. I tweeted about this a couple of weeks ago. https://twitter.com/asburylego

Just for fun, here's my firetruck MOC from a few years ago (heavily inspired by Sasbury), which I keep meaning to update but haven't finished yet.

Excellent work! Reminds me of Seattle's Fire Department.

Edited by sasbury

@all: I think one of the challenges LEGO faces with the fire line (and the train line) is that there's such a big difference between the European and American equipment and uniforms. Sometimes it seems like they're not sure which one they're trying to portray, so we end up with figures and equipment that aren't quite right for either region.

I think one possible solution to this would be the collectible minifigs. Seems strange that we haven't had any rescue-related minifigs in the lineup.

What about

European Firefighter

American Firefighter (single-tank air, printing on a black fire helmet)

Hazmat firefighter

Airport firefighter (Metallic suit)

Forest firefighter (with goggles)

Edited by sasbury

Excellent work! Reminds me of Seattle's Fire Department.

Thanks! It was (loosely) based on Seattle Fire's Engine 18, which is stationed in my neighborhood :sweet:

I think one possible solution to this would be the collectible minifigs. Seems strange that we haven't had any rescue-related minifigs in the lineup.

It is really strange that we haven't had any firefighter CMF's yet, especially since we've already had six based on police themes (Policeman, Traffic Cop, Constable, Sheriff, Detective and Chief Wiggum).

Anyone have any idea why we haven't seen any firefighter collectible minifigs yet?

I'd love to see a typical US and European firefighter in the CMF series. They're both instantly recognisable enough to be included. It'd be a perfect opportunity to introduce some new parts (hydraulic rescue equipment, new modern European fire helmet, new realistic air tanks, etc.).

Seems strange that we haven't had any rescue-related minifigs in the lineup.

There is one in CMF Series 11

European Firefighter

American Firefighter (single-tank air, printing on a black fire helmet)

Hazmat firefighter

Airport firefighter (Metallic suit)

Forest firefighter (with goggles)

Nice ideas!

I'm sure we will see a firefighter in the CMF at some point