This was posted on Technicbricks on Tuesday:

http://www.technicbricks.com/2016/01/wedo-20-future-of-pf.html

It's news from the CES show, where Lego showed the new WeDo system. Highlights:

- not tethered to a computer anymore

- connects to the computer via BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy)

- WeDo 2.0 is not compatible with the old WeDo.

- connectors look to be similar to the Mindstorms connectors

- price will be around €160

Most interesting point:

All future PF will be compatible with the new platform introduced with WeDo 2.0.

The tilt sensor looks interesting, as it's smaller and cheaper than the EV3 brick and sensor, hopefully It could interface with a PF servo. Also the M motor looks interesting, I looked at legoeducation earlier today when they posted on facebook about it. It would be cool to get a tilt sensor to act like a gyroscope and mimic the change in tilt to a position on a PF servo motor. This would be useful for replicating a gun stabilizer, as I tried to replicate one with using the potentiometer on the Lipo battery to move with a counterweight. I hope it could function like that, then I would purchase it.

All future PF will be compatible with the new platform introduced with WeDo 2.0.

This! Bluetooth control + PF 2.0 = awesomesauce :) Was about time, no?

It looks like TLG did take a look at SBrick after all. At that price I'd be tempted to pick a pack up at launch.

So I finally have accumulated a nice pile of PF parts, they start to move to a new (incompatible) version :tongue:

Although, I suppose they might make a conversion cable right? Just as they did with the old 9V and the PF?

Well I wish they made some more feature version for adult technic builders - this 2 connector thing looks just barely enough for educational purposes on elementary schools doesn't it? Also being quite big, this is hardly to compete with SBrick as it is. Also the connectors are a big question for me - what's wrong with the classic PF ones? I only see positives (easy stacking, fixing in brick built constructions...) and besides that, it's something very typical for Lego. NXT connectors and wires look like ethernet thus rather ugly :)

Something that they should do is a PF plate - like the 9v ones. That way you won't need big tower of PF connectors

So I finally have accumulated a nice pile of PF parts, they start to move to a new (incompatible) version :tongue:

Although, I suppose they might make a conversion cable right? Just as they did with the old 9V and the PF?

as I have understood, then WeDo and PF are different things. Like mindstorm is separate line from rest of technic PF. That doesn't mean that they wont do PF 2.0 also, only time will tell.

^ "All future PF will be compatible with the new platform introduced with WeDo 2.0."

This is the important line I guess - It basically says yes, there will be new PF in the future that will be compatible with WeDo 2.0. platform - which suggest the connectors will be the same, hence different from current PF.

I've read that new WeDo 2.0 allows to connect 3 motors / sensors together to hub but it's not true. You can still connect just 2 components at time. This was main disadvantage of first WeDo and it stays for second generation too. :angry: Anyway I like that new version is wireless and contains more parts.

New system is 3V (AA battery ) or 3.7 V (LiPo battery), but still uses a motor similar to the current 9V M motor. Does this mean we lose power, or will there be more powerful battery box attachments for PF2?

Maybe the IP Car will have the PF 2.0?

That would be cool

Maybe is ultimate ip car postponed due to implementation of new PF components.

This year probably they will be still using PF 1.0.

This is great - It looks like the PF / Mindstorms wall is coming down.

One universal approach from We-do through EV3 and BEYOND!!!

My thoughts exactly - look for new Mindstorms set (EV4???) later this year - a good reason not to get EV3, as I was planning.

Well, WeDo 1.0 is PF's poor brother. Sariel reviewed it and it looks like power and functionality wise it is not even close to PF system. While connectors were similar to PF system, they were different. Same with WeDo 2.0 - new BT unit seems like designed for WeDo only. I would say this is just a preview and new M-motor is the only actual PF 2.0 element here.

Looks like it is a time to stock pile on existing PF elements.

PS. I find that electronics in LEGO are the least LEGO-like item. Each new generation is not completely in a system with previous one.

Edited by zux

It seems like a device using 3.3V electronic ciruit. To run old PF motor at 9V, you'll need some sort of motor driver unit to connect the motor, 9V battery box and WeDo together.

After watching the connectors I think I'll try to get as many current PF components as I can.

Maybe by saying compatible they mean conversion cable?

... Snip

Looks like it is a time to stock pile on existing PF elements.

PS. I find that electronics in LEGO are the least LEGO-like item. Each new generation is not completely in a system with previous one.

I agree, with most LEGO elements it appears that all existing and previous elements are compatible with the new.

I appears that LEGO electronics just decides that the existing version is done and that the new doesn't need much (if any compatibility).

Too bad the electronics division doesn't appear to be looking at the past the way the other systems do, and it would not be that hard to make things compatible.

Just MHO, YMMV

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Lots of info here: https://education.le...ary/wedo-2/faqs

What got me interested is this:

Q: What does that mean for the existing plug systems on other Power Function products? Will they also be changed?

A: Yes, eventually we will convert to the new plug system after a transition period. The exact timing of this transition has not been determined.

EDIT, also found a video:

Edited by Zblj

But, maybe they keep the current PF for the Technic line and use the new PF only for We-Do?

IMHO the primary limitation, or the literal nail to the coffin of the original WeDo was the fact that if was running off USB at just 5V. The performance of Lego motors at 5V was atrocious, I remember PF M motors struggling to run simplest functions. If WeDo 2.0 is running at even lower voltage, that makes me seriously worried. Keep in mind, WeDo is designed specifically for education, not performance, hence I wouldn't expect it to be too versatile.

I would also like to point out that the new plugs look all nice and cool, but they don't seem to be stackable, do they?

Edited by Sariel

I am new to all of this, but a logical explanation of

"All future PF will be compatible with the new platform introduced with WeDo 2.0."

Is that the PF 2.0 will have new connectors, as were just introduced in WeDo 2.0, you will be able to use the sensors provided in WeDo 2.0 with your PF 2.0 to enhance your Lego Technic experience.

It doesn't have to mean that Lego will handicap the PF solutions and make them unplayable, especially since they probably realize that the AFOLs are an important part of their market for the Technic line and the AFOLs build big MOCs that need powerful motors, that the MOCs are what shows what you can build with Lego Technic when you are not limited by the enduser price.

IMHO the primary limitation, or the literal nail to the coffin of the original WeDo was the fact that if was running off USB at just 5V. The performance of Lego motors at 5V was atrocious, I remember PF M motors struggling to run simplest functions. If WeDo 2.0 is running at even lower voltage, that makes me seriously worried. Keep in mind, WeDo is designed specifically for education, not performance, hence I wouldn't expect it to be too versatile.

I would also like to point out that the new plugs look all nice and cool, but they don't seem to be stackable, do they?

Maybe it is made like that on purpose as WeDo is aimed at kids and teaching so it's better if the connector is firmly connected and the User - child can be sure it's correctly connected

Edited by pgplay