woofmcmoose

[Challenge 3][Cat B][O-F09] Testing the Hornet

Tags: Spaceshsip

Henry Moose Personal Log:

Today I got to flight test our corporation's newest toy; the Hornet Class Gunship. On first inspection I couldn't help but shake the feeling that I'd seen her somewhere before, as if in a dream!

or spoiler tags

Img1_zpsrfr5vie2.jpg

DSCF4977_zps85dviuvn.jpg

The two giant particle cannons aren't exactly subtle, but should make even MANTIS fighter jocks think twice about tangling with us!

front_zpsx2nqq3ky.jpg

c4ea1641-af99-413a-bbf9-8dbe0c5709c7_zpspaojfosr.jpg

The cockpit is reasonably spacious, though the field of view isn't great.

cockpit_zps9xuonxey.jpg

Despite the lack of subtlety, she looks sleek.

side_zpsj6uz5bxf.jpg

DSCF4980_zpslp6qvcvj.jpg

The technicians assure me that whilst the drive looks like a pair of re-purposed trash cans, they are in fact a precision engineered pulse-fusion thrust chambers... and it just so happens that the most efficient geometry is identical to that of a universal standard waste disposal cylinder.

rear_zpspqbkoun7.jpg

DSCF4975_zpspbzrdmia.jpg

She flies reasonably well, though is far better suited to space than atmo. Four repulsors provide VTOL capability and the landing gear is semi-retractable, the nose gear even pivots forward to act as the targeting dish array!

under_zpsyd6uetva.jpg

DSCF4988_zpsuhi3axsc.jpg

Still, this is much cooler than the survey ships I have been flying for Octan thus far; I almost feel like a MANTIS Badass when flying her!

top_zpsvxevq61d.jpg

DSCF4981_zpscngrgjty.jpg

OOC Stuff:

For this challenge I really wanted to see how much I could change whilst retaining key elements of the original design....

...also I didn't have the right parts in white to replicate the original more closely!

I toned down the cannon to ship ratio to give a (in my opinion) slightly more "peaceful" OCTAN feel to the design.

Hope you like! This has been a most enjoyable contest! Comments, criticisms and suggestions welcome. Looking forward too seeing the other entries!

Edited by woofmcmoose

Nice fighter. You even kept the garbage can engines! The red galaxy squad sticker fits nicely on the cockpit.

One little thing is the blue squad stickers look a little out of place on an Octan ship.

Edited by SpacerSteve

What's the title please?

Oops, it should be "Testing the Hornet"

One little thing is the blue squad stickers look a little out of place on an Octan ship.

Unfortunately I only had these parts with galaxy squad or exoforce blue stickers on and I didn't want to destroy them just for the contest.!

Unfortunately I only had these parts with galaxy squad or exoforce blue stickers on and I didn't want to destroy them just for the contest.!

I thought that might be the case. The Galactic Titan was a wonderful set!