Sign in to follow this  
Doctor Sinister

COMPETITION! Design and build a household item from LEGO!

This is the discussion thread. Entries appear here. :-)

Having been encouraged following the revelation of my ridiculous LEGO coaster over in this thread, I have decided to take the plunge and sort of do the hosting-thing for a new Eurobricks Competition! Please bear with me if I get anything wrong, although I do have nuclear weapons, so there. :-D

The competition is thus:

You must design and build any household item you can think of from LEGO.

The rules are as follows:

1) The item must be something you find around the house. And I don't just mean around YOUR house - so no weird torture devices please - it must be something that you would find in any typical house.

2) The item can be as small or as large as you like.

3) The item MUST be constructed of 100% LEGO - however ANY type of LEGO can be used - Technic, Duplo, System, whatever you like. The use of string or elastic bands is permitted, but they must be of the type you would find in a LEGO set. Decals should not be necessary. No gluing or other illegal method of holding your creation together is permitted!

4) The item in question must be practical and capable of doing the job it is supposed to do. EG: a LEGO tape dispenser must be actually useful for dispensing tape. A LEGO mug tree must be capable of supporting the number of mugs it purports to be designed to hold. This is all-important!

5) Virtual LEGO creations will be allowed entry, although if they are weight-bearing entries we may ask contestants to actually build them to demonstrate that they are practical.

6) The competition runs from now until Midnight at GMT on Sunday the 18th of November 2007, that gives you precisely four weeks to submit your entries.

7) The winner will be decided by a poll taken of your peers (i.e. it'll be put to a vote - incidentally, can I set up polls? I don't think I can yet...). The voting period will last precisely seven days from inception to closure. If there are loads and loads of entries, we might run heats, but I suspect there won't be - however it is an option.

The winner will win a fabulously exclusive Doctor Sinister badge as pictured below! I mean it, I only have a few of these left and there are only about 50 of them in the world.

Badge.jpg

If anyone needs a kickstart of the sort of thing I mean by "household item", ideas can include (but not be limited to) desk tidies, iPod carry cases, coffee tables, coasters, letter racks, bookshelves (!) etc. Please do not feel limited by these ideas and don't feel that just because I've mentioned them you can't use them - it's all fair game.

Ideally, voting will be done on the basis of style, practicality, design and ingenuity.

I am of course prevented from entering as I am offering the prize and anyway, I've already got a badge. :-D

I look forward to seeing your entries!

If a kind Admin' could pin this for me, I would be grateful. :'-)

Dr. S.

Edited by Hinckley

An excellent idea that is now immortalized in ... the Big Billboard o' Doom! *y*

Sounds like fun! But say I wanted to make a pen or pencil.... can I include a stick of graphite or the ink stick in a pen so it works, or is that not allowed? X-D

Sounds like fun! But say I wanted to make a pen or pencil.... can I include a stick of graphite or the ink stick in a pen so it works, or is that not allowed? X-D

Interesting question - and my answer would be that this would be permitted IF you used the inside of an official LEGO pen. :-P

How's that?

Dr. S.

An excellent idea that is now immortalized in ... the Big Billboard o' Doom! *y*

Thanks very much!

Dr. S.

Interesting question - and my answer would be that this would be permitted IF you used the inside of an official LEGO pen. :-P

How's that?

Dr. S.

But I don't think I have one anymore.... :'-( ................. X-D

We can use non Lego items if they have to do with the purpose of the creation, right? Like, if I made a tape dispenser, it can have a roll of tape...

We can use non Lego items if they have to do with the purpose of the creation, right? Like, if I made a tape dispenser, it can have a roll of tape...

Correct. Likewise, a CD rack would contain the CDs, a mug tree would hold the mugs - etc. But the item must not contribute toward the structure of the piece. So if you took the whole roll of tape out, it wouldn't fall apart. The item you build must be as practical as the real thing would be.

Dr. S.

I do, incidentally, need to credit Lt. Col. Thok for the original idea of this compo'.

Dr. S.

Why thank you. Your modest crediting has encouraged me to get off my lazy big behind and make something. :-D

Btw, Dr. Sinister, your website is awesome. It has provided eons of inspiration for me.

Why thank you. Your modest crediting has encouraged me to get off my lazy big behind and make something. :-D

Excellent! I can't wait to see it!

Btw, Dr. Sinister, your website is awesome. It has provided eons of inspiration for me.

Really? :-$ It's so rare for anyone to give me any feedback, thanks, I'm glad you liked it. If there's any way you think it can be improved or if you have any ideas of things you'd like to see there, drop me a line! I enjoy fiddling with it. Oo-er.

Dr. S.

Really? :-$ It's so rare for anyone to give me any feedback, thanks, I'm glad you liked it. If there's any way you think it can be improved or if you have any ideas of things you'd like to see there, drop me a line! I enjoy fiddling with it. Oo-er.

Dr. S.

Your welcome! *sweet* I know that this is a bit off topic, but I really would like to see the news page updated a bit more often (although it must be tough to update a lot - considering the interference of jobs, life, family....)

Your welcome! *sweet* I know that this is a bit off topic, but I really would like to see the news page updated a bit more often (although it must be tough to update a lot - considering the interference of jobs, life, family....)

Yes, this is a constant issue, I always mean to update it more than I do but time is often limited - and ideas as well, I like to make sure I have good stories, not sure if I manage it or not, but I'd hate to throw a load of rubbish up there just to get some news published, if that makes any sense. I will try to put more silly stories out there for you. :-)

I also had to increase my webspace allocation recently as I'd gone over on the account that holds the Tabletown site! That's all sorted now...

Dr. S.

Great idea for a Comp Dr.S! *y*

I have my idea, its rather funny (well, I think it is :-$ ) and contradictory. I won't tell it though, you'll have to wait! >:-)

I Am FEAR Incarnate! *skull*

EDIT: I also love your website Dr.S!

Edited by Batbrick

EDIT: I also love your website Dr.S!

Thanks!

I had dreams about this competition last night - dreams that we had do many entries we had to have several rounds of voting...so don't let me down chaps! :-D :-D

Dr. S.

incidentally, can I set up polls? I don't think I can yet

If a kind Admin' could pin this for me, I would be grateful. :'-)

Well, hopefully a kind lowly mod will do :-$ and you are correct. You can't start a poll until you are a knight (500 posts) but I am more than happy to start one for you when the time comes. I'll even make you a collage if you like.

Thanks for running this contest. I think it's a great idea. If you need any help, PM me and I'll be happy to assist. Have fun everybody! *sweet* *sweet*

Well, hopefully a kind lowly mod will do :-$ and you are correct. You can't start a poll until you are a knight (500 posts) but I am more than happy to start one for you when the time comes. I'll even make you a collage if you like.

Thanks for running this contest. I think it's a great idea. If you need any help, PM me and I'll be happy to assist. Have fun everybody! *sweet* *sweet*

If there was a position for Contests Admin and anyone cared what I had to say, I'd nominate you! You do a great job encouraging people to try it for themselves by doing such a good job of it yourself and pitching in when they need help. *y*

That sounds like such sucking up, but it's true. :-$

*whacks you with one of those old space metal detectors* There, that's better. ;-)

Really cool contest idea DS ;-)

I'll definitly enter that one !! Now I just need an original idea, and if I don't find one, I'll just do something lame like a pen holder and crap like that :-P

I had an idea but it not really PC so I'll keep it to myself :-P

G, I'm getting behind my Lego contests buildings :-D

Household On !!

*yoda*

Interesting contest, I'll give it a go. I even have a really great, not lame idea! Hey, wait-

I'll just do something lame like a pen holder and crap like that :-P

*yoda*

Hmm, I may need to come up with a new idea... :-P

TK

Interesting contest, I'll give it a go. I even have a really great, not lame idea! Hey, wait-

Hmm, I may need to come up with a new idea... :-P

TK

Nan :-P

OK since the girl sex toy would be a bit off ( X-D ) I have switched to a French idea !! I'll try and make it happen hehe !!

If it doesn't work I'll go with something lame simple ;-)

*yoda*

What a fantastic idea for a competition! The snazzy badge will be mine!

(BTW what's with the new smileys? :dry: )

Edit: Sorry abouth the post in the other thread! I got confuzzled! X-O )

Edited by Lord Of Pies

Edit: Sorry abouth the post in the other thread! I got confuzzled! X-O )

No worries ;-)

But lets stay focus people :-P Entry threads is solely for entries ;-) Anything else shall be deleted ;-)

*yoda*

I have built mine! It's not great, and I am fixing at the moment, as I have found a big technical glitch.

I will reveal what it is later! *skull*

Wow AC,

Thats really cool. I like the skelee and the crossbones flag.

Edit by ImperialScouts: Your comment is appreciated, but the appropriate place to put it is in this discussion thread and was moved from the Entry thread to the Discussion thread. :-)

Just a reminder that this competition is still here (amongst all the other madness going on! :-D ) and we only have one entry so far - we're a week in, so get those thinking caps on and fit your special building hands so you can enter!

Dr. S.

Just a reminder that this competition is still here (amongst all the other madness going on! :-D ) and we only have one entry so far - we're a week in, so get those thinking caps on and fit your special building hands so you can enter!

Dr. S.

I haven't forgotten, I have just been prioritising the smackdown MOC. I'll give yours some thought next week....