Kai NRG

Settlement: Bardo, An Toli, Eslandola

Settlement Name: Bardo

Ownership: MCTC

Mayor: Colonel Oystrigde - @Sir Stig

Who can own property in Bardo: Anyone, from any faction.

Who can freebuild in Bardo: Anyone, from any faction.

Fortifications: Two large forts.

Troops: 40 men (1 company of soldiers, 1 platoon of city guards).

More information about Bardo can be seen in this post.

Check out the Bardo Index.

Please post links to any free-builds that take place in Bardo in this thread.

If you want to license a piece of property in Bardo, post in this thread and fill out the web form.

Original Map

Sir Stig's Map:

26017071640_ae5448194c_z.jpg

What are MCTC, ETWC (and possibly others) again?

The tradecompanies pirate_blush.gif

Their task is to divide Eslandolans into different groups and competing against eachother to become the richest trade company of the known world pirate_laugh2.gif

The tradecompanies pirate_blush.gif

Their task is to divide Eslandolans into different groups and competing against each other to become the richest trade company of the known world pirate_laugh2.gif

Unless they already are (the ETWC) pirate_tong.gifpir_laugh2.gif Then their only goal is to keep expanding to keep their place as the world's first trade company pirate_wink.gifpirate_laugh_new.gif

Bardo has a diverse geology and fauna. The climate is mostly warm, and wet, but there have been periods of drought. No known notes have been kept to foresee how often this happens.

The northeast is somewhat dry and windy, so the growth does not get very high, but cotton grows well here as well as crops that does not need a lot of water.

The middle of the island is surrounded by several mountains, that catches a lot of low rainclouds, making the forest dense and humid. The lakes in Bardine Creek and in the mountain flows toward Bardo. Those are the main source of freshwater on the island.

To the north of Bardo river lies is the land where the sugar canes thrives the most. No mountains to cover for the sun here, ensuring a long growth season. Bardo Rhum, characterized by its natural, clean flavours. Only the best parts of the sugar canes are used for rhum production, the rest is used to make sugar for other products.

There are a variety of fruits growing wild on the island, the rivers are full of fish and the occasional crocodile. A selection of game roam the island. If you feel for exploring the jungle make sure to stock up machetes, and antivenom if you plan on venturing far from the riverbanks. There are also a fair amount of birds on the island.

Bardo itself sits by the river mouth that flows into a basin that forms a natural harbor, sheltered for the many storms that this part of the seas are known for. The Bardo Delta is split into several small islands by the river. This makes it well suited for all manner of production, since the river takes care of waste disposal.

Bardo are best known for their spicy cuisine, such as Hot Chilli Bunì's and Stail Ale. The amount of Hot Chilli Bunì's consumed during the first ever MCTC Musicians Talent Fair, that were held in Bardo in March 616, showed that there is a market for spices.

Colt's Island: Coming.

*Hot Chilli Bunì's: The latest fad in Bardolan cuisine. Organic (duh) chillies locally sourced from a trial plantation just outside Bardo. Bunnies. Cooked Warmed over charcoal. Charcoal made from rare trees harvested in the forest on Eslandolas newly discovered island, Torracha. Chopped by grown men and dragged over half a mile shore before it could be loaded and transported across the Sea of Storms. The crowds that had taken the journey to see what this festival thing was all about, were overwhelming, so chef Mercredi (and the rest of the staff and supply line on the newly opened restaurant Mercredi's) could barely keep up with demand. They had opened a small stall in the town plaza for the occasion. They served from the stall, but prepared the food in the restaurant and the back streets of Bardo.

*Stail Ale: The local beer, brewed by adult siblings Jenny and Jeremy Stail.

An Toli has two (2) large forts, making it a safe trade port.

Troop info: 1 platoon of City Guards helps settle minor occurences in Bardo, and 1 company of soldiers (returned from Fuerte Unido).

History: Not much has been written down of An Tolis past, but recently Colonel Oystridge (The Mayor) have taken upon himself of finding out more.

Forgotten History Part 1

Forgotten History Part 2

The messengers fare had stopped at this small roadside tavern to let the horses rest, and the men get their stomachs filled. His nails hurting, his fingers were numb, and his hands were shaking. He rubbed them together and tried to warm them with his breath. Experience told him that it hurt more, but the pain subsided quicker. He held the letter up against the lantern in his small corner cubicle at the inn. Elaborately written on it was the words

"To be delivered Monsignore Guy K Wyndzon of the Merchant's Colonial Trade Company"

It had expensive paper, thin and soft to the touch. He turned it around. Sealed in white wax with a sign in the shape of a glove or hand. His eyes fixated on the intricate design on the stamped wax.

The coachman chugged down the last slump of his stale ale at the bar "Achh!, one more, before we have to get goin. We must reach the city before nightfall", he bellowed with his hoarse voice to make sure his men was ready. There was an abrupt commotion from the corner cubicle.

"Oh no! What have I done..." The messenger stared at the scorched letter, his face twisted in anguish. The edge was completely burnt away on one side. Sweat streaming down his face and neck, he slowly pulled the letter sideways out of its envelope. He could read most of it, but it started to fall apart. He gently placed it on the desk and rummaged his sack until he found his writing pouch. "I have to create a new copy, quickly, and pretend nothing happened. Yes, that's it. I will not get away with any more mishaps." He skimmed the letter, and with tongue in cheek, and sometimes between his front teeth, started to write in his finest lettering:

"To the Honorable monsignore Guy K. Wyndzon of De Merchantes Coloniale Trade Companie

It is with great concern I write you, on behalf of the White Glove Order. Our man in Bardo has brought to our attention the current state of affairs in Bardo. The people are"

Atchoo! The messenger looked at the pile of dust, formerly known as the letter. His face blank. "No need to panic. Luckily I have a good memory", he tried to console himself.

"The people are"... "at unrest. The food crops are not yielding much this year, and they are growing impatient with the lack of services. Diseases are spreading, miscarriages and accidents have taken a great toll on the tally. Many fear the island will be desolate if left in its current state. We can not stand idly by while people are suffering, and the industry on the island wither away. We must therefore ask the MCTCs approval to let us help stabilizing the area. We ask only that the MCTC appoints a man we trust utterly, Colonel Oystrigde, in command of local matters. He is a man of stature and with great rapport among his men and in the regions where he served. In return the White Glove Order will assist with whatever means are at our disposal, and pull the strings we can to provide an educated labor force."

The messenger came to a halt. What was that last part? And he didn't read the signature. "Well, I got the most of it. It will have to do", he thought, and signed the letter the way he used to sign his letters home:

"Hugs and Kisses to thee,

your darling forever"

Guy K. Wyndzon dropped into a chair in his elaborate library, a poorly folded missive in his right hand. He opened it up, scowling, "When is my Uncle gonna be back? I can't stand this part of the business! And he's out there having fun hanging people by their toes from palm trees...!"

Guy winked with one eye, cocked his head, grit his teeth, and tried to read the scribbled writing.

"It says... to the honorable me... Bardo is in trouble... blahblahblah...hugs and wha...?!?"

He glared at the signature. "Your darling forever? I didn't know I had a darling. What baloney people write! I think I'll put this in the box of kindling."

Three days later the maid whistled as she dragged an armful of kindling to the fireplace. She tossed in scraps of wood and paper and set up a nice fire. Then she struck a match and lit the nearest piece of paper. As the flames curled she read, "the MCTC appoints a man we trust utterly, Colonel Oystrigde, in command of local matters." Colonel Oystrigde? Never heard of him!

The maid met Guy in the hallway and congratulated him on finally having a mayor for Bardo. "I know you've been wanting one for a while now!"

"Wait... we have a mayor in Bardo?"

"Yeah - you know - Colonel Oystrigde."

"Who?!"

"Well, I just noticed his name on that letter."

"Letter? What letter?"

"Of course I wasn't looking in your desk!" the maid responded in an aggrieved tone. "It was in the box of kindling, of course!"

"Oh! You mean - that letter - it was about a new mayor - you didn't burn it did you?!?!?!"

"Of course I burned it! It was in the box of kindling!"

"Ohhhh." Guy groaned.

Suddenly he dashed out of the room. "Uncle! Uncle! Bah - he's still out hanging people - Sam!" he shouted to his valet - "Fetch the carriage - we're off to the headquarters to call a meeting!"

OOC: In other words, your application has been received and is under consideration! pirate_satisfied.gif

pir_laugh2.gifdefault_roflmao.gifdefault_laugh_hard.gif Hilarious way to present yourself for mayor and response to the same! default_laugh_hard.gif If I wasn't the leader of the ETWC this would almost make me want to join the MCTC (note to self: remember to never appoint a mayor without a hilarious story to go with it! default_rofl.gif)

The Merchant's Colonial Trading Company is pleased to announce that in recognition of his good services and the excellent recommendation given him by his fellow citizens, Colonel Oystrigde has been appointed mayor of Bardo!

In celebration of the occasion, MCTC will now permit any member of Eslandola, Corrington, Oleon, or even a Sea Rat to own property in Bardo! That's right, owning property in Bardo is now open to everyone!

Another appointment to congratulate! It seems more and more people are securing themselves power and income amongst the Eslandolian ranks! pirate_wink.gif

Edit: Great way of presenting application and response! And yes, Garmadon - to stay in the race, you have to keep up to this standard! pirate_laugh2.gif

Edited by Bregir

Bardo is in need of factories, since the textile factory can't provide enough jobs for the scourge of workers that have arrived. Therefore the city will sponsor 5dbs on the licence from the majors pay on the first granary and the first two factories that are built in Bardo this month. Transferred to the builder once the build is posted in the city thread. This is an open offer to all factions, everyone are welcome to live out their tropical dream in Bardo.

Come to Bardo, where dreams happen! (disclosure: the city takes no responsibility in what kind of dreams that may be, or how those dreams turn out. It will, however, aid by providing free healthcare for accidents that are related to industrial incidents).

-Colonel Oystridge, Mayor of Bardo and distinguished member of the White Glove Society.

The Merchant's Colonial Trading Company is hosting its first mini-challenge in Bardo! Come on over and join in the fun!

25245529959_7d722a6004.jpg

Great to see the entries starting to trickle in. I got so inspired by these builds that I wrote a few scenes from the festivities, and got a little carried away, until I realized how late it is. I took the opportunity to freshen up my vocabulary (especially the corrie part). Hope it is readable. Without further ado, I present:

Scenes from Bardo

The festival had started and people were enjoying themselves. Hot chilli Bunì's* and Stail Ale* were going like, well, properly heated bun's and slightly better ale. From young and old. Filthy rich and less fortunate. The rich ones came because they could afford to see what the fuzz was all about, and the poor came because there were numerous possibilites to earn a decent living. Some of them knew that wherever there were money, there were money to be made theirs, in not so decent ways. Playful jesters and mimes were showing off among members of all parts of society. Everything from vendors of all kinds of treats, and people offering their mules and carts for a ride across town, to rich ladies in fanciful dresses were present. And everything in between.

-

"Excuse me, young man, where do all these people come from?", Colonel Oystridge asked a passer by carrying a barrel, which he recognized as Marcel Penidãs, one of the dock workers that unloaded his belongings from Weelond.

"Who, the musicians?" Marcel answered.

"Well them, and I guess all the others as well." The Colonel said squinting one eye.

"In addition to the citizens, I've heard all kinds of folk. Eslandolans, Corries, Oleans. A few I reckon were Mardiers or Carno. All kind of lunatics. Some I didn't even recognize the language of."

"That's mighty observant of you. I insist you have an ale on me today. Give my regards, from the Colonel, down at the tavern."

Even if the Colonel was major, he had no delusions of grandeur. He enjoyed chitchatting and getting to know everyone in Bardo. Citizens and visitors alike. He had an egalitarian world view, and had come to terms that hus strength was not in flogging his own horse, but making others aware of their positive side.

-

When Nightblood and Darkstar started playing another part of the crowd payed close attention. A collection of tired sailors, disgruntled working men lifted their heads from their Stail Ale mugs. Men that have seen all sides of life. At least on the downside. The music was coming from outside the main festival area. It had a strenght and intensity that drew them in. It was like it took hold of your cranium and spine and urged you into an ocular trance. Sounds of vision. It was like a rush through the bones that put all frustration, worries, anger and regret into pure energy. You felt bad. And feeling bad felt good. It was addictive...

-

Farther down the road a conversation spurned between two Corries that admired the sunset, both carrying an instrument of sorts. It went something like this:

"Mnmnmn, wonderful afternooon isn't it?", the first one asked conversely.

"Yes. Yes it is, wouldn't you say?", the second one replied.

"Oh, but I would, Wouldn't I?", the first one continued.

"Yes. Yes, I imagine you would." the second one said.

"..."

The first one was about to speak. Stopped. Turned towards his friend, the second one. Halted. Turned back, and then toward him again, before he spoke again in an explaining manner,

"You're supposed to form every response like a question. Keeps them guessing, you know?"

"Hmm, Didn't I?" the second one retaliated.

"No, you didn't." the first one added.

"Ha! Now you did it. Didn't you?!" the second one put forward.

They exchanged glances.

"Shouldn't you watch your tone, so your vocal chords don't get damaged?" the first one retorted.

"Should I now?" the second one pushed forward this time.

"Oh, let's call the whole thing off." The first one said, regretting he had opened his mouth.

"Fine by me." the second one aired.

They stood uneasy in the pressing silence for a while, before the first one asked strenuously,

"Why can't we be friends?"

"Sure, we can. -but we have to stop these silly games. There will always be a loser, and we both despise being the lesser man. I reckon that was the last one then?" the second one imposed.

"Last one." assured the first one.

"Indeed?" The second one moved on.

"indeed indeed." the first one stated

"Got'cha! That's two in row! I called it." the second one insisted.

"Oh no, you didn't?!.... "the first one began, baffled, before adding,

"Fine. Let's just watch the sunset."

A third corrie approached.

"Oh, there you are. I was wondering if, excuse me, When I'd meet you two gents again. Have you seen Nightblood and Darkstar perform? It's something about their music that makes decent young maidens act indecent..."

"What indecency! I am appalled at the word of this. I don't believe this squander unless I see it with my own eyes. Where does this spectacle take place? Is it in loser street? Perhaps you could show us the way?" the second one pressured the first one.

And so they were at it again.

-

Victor Servadac had strolled, all around the town, taking in all the impressions of the hustle and bustle. Beside the town fountain some musicians and a crew had gathered round. Do they call that dancing nowadays?, he thought to himself. They did not move in any organised pattern. How do they know what to do? Some were making crazy gestures. "Come on, do the loco motions with me? Come on please", a woman beckoned her man to dance with her. He took an inviting stance and exclaimed "Let's dance!". The couple was clearly still in love. That's Amore. Maybe it's not so bad, after all, he thought. People are engaged in the music, in the spirit, and seem to enjoy themselves. Merchants had brought in enough food to relief the recent shortage in Bardo. He sat down at the dock of the bay, and thought to himself: What a wonderful world.

-

At the local tavern, the Chudley Cannons, which hosted the main scene a local band had set up their gear.

"Where are all the ladies tonight? Don't they know tonight's the night?", the barman asked.

"They'll come on over. Who can resist Bardo's Lonely Hearts Club Band and their boyish charm? Everybody needs somebody to love" his wife replied, and blushed immediately.

"They must come. Without the ladies, there will be no men. Especially with the quality of the last ale batches from the Stails. We need the extra income. It feels like everyday I'm hustling..."

"Everything's gonna be alright", she comforted him.

"I'll get by, with a little help from my friends."

-

*Hot Chilli Bunì's: The latest fad in Bardolan cuisine. Organic (duh) chillies locally sourced from a trial plantation just outside Bardo. Bunnies. Cooked Warmed over charcoal. Charcoal made from rare trees harvested in the forest on Eslandolas newly discovered island, Torracha. Chopped by grown men and dragged over half a mile shore before it could be loaded and transported across the Sea of Storms. The crowds that had taken the journey to see what this festival thing was all about, were overwhelming, so chef Mercredi (and the rest of the staff and supply line on the newly opened restaurant Mercredi's) could barely keep up with demand. They had opened a small stall in the town plaza for the occasion. They served from the stall, but prepared the food in the restaurant and the back streets of Bardo.

*Stail Ale: The adult siblings Jenny and Jeremy Stail are local ale enthusiasts. They brew cooked together an ale as soon as they heard about the festival. In vast amounts. In a short period of time. Named thereafter. Their last name that is.

Edited by Sir Stig

Lovely entries so far! Maybe I should see if I could put something together..

@Sir Stig:

I get a kick out of you(r writing)! pirate_laugh2.gif