Sign in to follow this  
Cousarmy0001

(LDD) Red Harbor Parliament

Ok, the good news is that my wife has signed off on me building this monster after I finish my current project for the bluecoats (http://www.eurobrick...=78654&hl=wharf)

The bad news is that it will be a very long time before my bank account signs off on it.

So, as promised a few weeks ago, clocking in at a whopping 17,758 bricks, my mega project harbor for the redcoats. I was going for a more affluent look for theirs, as the Imperial Flagship (10210) was rather more ornate than the bluecoat Caribbean Clipper, suggesting a greater amount of wealth being possessed by that faction. My bluecoat project is intended as more of a working class area.

There is no name yet, and for simplicity's sake, I will only be posting detailed pictures of the parliament building in this thread. The other buildings will have their own threads, due to the large number of pictures involved- unless the moderators have an issue with that. First, an overview of the whole thing. The ship in this picture is not included in the brick count, and the dock is long enough to accommodate a pair of the Imperial Flagships. I had originally intended for the large Lord Nelson type statue to be in front of this building, with a Trafalgar Square type park around it, but I couldn't decide on designs, much less purposes, for the extra two buildings it would have required to be added, so I moved it to its present location. It may move back, though, if I get the muse to design more buildings.

Anyhow.

Look upon my digital works, ye mighty, and despair!

( Edit: The threads for the other buildings can be found at the following: http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=119866, http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=119868, http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=119867, and http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=119866 )

23535644294_2630dc8b0e_b.jpg

Closer views of the parliament building exterior:

23535643814_29ba664193_b.jpg

23535643464_62473bdd4d_b.jpg

23868216790_f03d63ea8a_z.jpg

A detail of the clock tower:

24055770032_56daf40f42_b.jpg

An overhead view of the House of Lords with the second floor gallery:

23796028949_04472ed0fb_b.jpg

Main floor of the House of Lords:

23868213720_af9965565e_b.jpg

24163848275_f23a087a34_b.jpg

23868212390_32a8149747_b.jpg

Pretty sweet, huh? However, someone wishes to give them something to remember remember...

23535639674_2caaaedc84_b.jpg

Meanwhile, in the hall outside, numerous rather large paintings can be viewed on the House of Lords exterior wall:

23796025589_96e75400fe_b.jpg

As well as on the exterior wall of the House of Commons:

24081240721_89778af059_b.jpg

And speaking of the House of Commons:

23537066083_cda367f7a7_b.jpg

23796024769_e214f0cb38_b.jpg

23535637524_2898ed214e_b.jpg

24138138266_ae764f758e_b.jpg

The Parliament building alone is 9,166 bricks, and was modeled after the Houses of Parliament in London, with a few things borrowed from the Canadian houses in Ottawa. While designing the hall in the center, though, I learned that neither of the London houses looked anything like their current iterations during the time period I was seeking to emulate (1700s time period), and the current houses themselves were built in the mid-1800s. Since the hall and clock were the very last things I did on the entire project, though, I wasn't going to go back and get rid of all of that hard work in order to make something much simpler and less impressive such as the houses as they existed in the 1700s. The front fence, meanwhile, is modeled after the fence in front of Buckingham Palace, since as far as I can tell, there isn't a fence in front of Parliament itself in London.

Edited by Cousarmy0001

The MOC is great!!! How long did it take you to creat it? I need much time just to look at all the details. Mum visited both Houses and says your creation is very realistic.

I'm glad it looks like the real thing. The closest I've ever been to the place was a two hour layover at Heathrow in 1997, so I only had pictures on the internet to go off of.

It took me at least a week to design, working for probably 4-6 hours a night, so somewhere over 30 hours of actual "work". I really enjoyed it, though. Obviously the parliament building took the most time. I think I spent more time on it than the rest of the MOC combined, not counting the Guy Fawkes bit. I did the dock first, then that, and if I'm honest, the layout of the whole thing was specifically done to accommodate that, because I thought it would be funny. The exterior facade I scrapped and redid at least twice, and the House of Commons (the first interior room I did on the parliament building) was scrapped and restarted at least twice as well. The lessons learned from that one allowed me to get the House of Lords down on the first try, though.

There is no name yet, and for simplicity's sake, I will only be posting detailed pictures of the parliament building in this thread. The other buildings will have their own threads, due to the large number of pictures involved- unless the moderators have an issue with that.

No, I don't have a problem with you creating topics detailing each building. :thumbup:

For each building topic, I recommend adding links to this topic, and add links in the first post of this topic for each building topic.

No, I don't have a problem with you creating topics detailing each building. :thumbup:

For each building topic, I recommend adding links to this topic, and add links in the first post of this topic for each building topic.

Copy that :-)