SkaForHire

Challenge II - Defending Yer Claims! [RESULTS POSTED]

Challenge Two: Defending Yer Claims!

On the heels of the initial push for discover comes defending those claims. As the nations slowly figure out what has been claimed, and their diplomats fight within each other’s courts, it depends on the sailors and adventurers “Beyond the Lind” to keep their claims safe. Already there have been groups of sailors turning to piracy, and even violence between those who have not gone “on the accord.”

Due Date:April 1st, anywhere in the world.

Category A: Protect and Defend

In this category you will show the beginning of your defenses against rival nations. It can be on land or on sea. Remember, settlement beyond the line is very limited and rudimentary. Fortresses won’t be made of stone at this point. For this purpose one of the limitations of this second challenge is creating a settlement that would be very new, not more than a year old. IE: mostly wood (there will be more fortification challenges to come, don’t worry!). Remember, there are not a lot of large ships in New Terran waters yet, so if you are building a vessel, it should probably be a sloop of some sort.

Max ship length: 32 studs at the water. Max scene length, 48x48, with limited overhang. This category will be judged on build quality, fit with overall story, and presentation.

Category B: Strike your Colors!

In this category you will tell the story of a battle that happened somewhere in New Terra while the Age of Discovery was young. It can be at sea, on land, or a combination of both. Remember, settlements beyond the line are very limited and rudimentary. Fortresses won’t be made of stone at this point. For this purpose one of the limitations of this second challenge is creating a settlement that would be very new, not more than a year old. IE: mostly wood (there will be more fortification challenges to come, don’t worry!). Remember, there are not a lot of large ships in New Terran waters yet, so if you are building a vessel, it should probably be a small sloop of some sort.

Builders will make as many MOCs as they want, but they will be limited to six pictures in their post. This category will be judged on build quality, story quality, fit with overall story, and presentation.

Max ship length: 32 studs at the water. Unlimited build size for each picture.

The winning faction will get to pick 2 new islands first off the revealed map. The second place faction will get to pick two new islands second. The third and fourth place factions will pick one island. All factions will be allowed to name their island/s, but they must be approved by the leadership council.

Special: If you are building a ship for this challenge, you can license it in the EGS, but since it is for the challenge, no DBs can be earned for a free build. The same goes with any properties that you build for either challenge I or II, you may license them, but they cannot earn freebuild DBs.

Entries:

Your entries for this category should have their own threads, and should be linked back here. It is optional to add the front topic tag. (ie: [COR - Ch1 Cat B] title ) However, the MOC will not be officially entered into the competition without posting a link to it here.

May I use a ship build in the past and make a complete new MOC around it? (so the ship is just an extra)? And will I be able then to licence the ship?

May I use a ship build in the past and make a complete new MOC around it? (so the ship is just an extra)? And will I be able then to licence the ship?

The status on builds and ships made before the launch of BoBS is that they may be used for story purposes to a certain degree but may not be used in the EGS, so no, you could not licence the ship. As to using it in a new MOC for the challenge, I don't think that is allowed either - one of the principle goals of Brethren of the Brick Seas is to improve its members building skills, so using MOCs built before kind of defeats the purpose pirate_look.gifpirate_laugh2.gif

Can I re-use a MOC for Cat A in Cat B showing the battle, or does there need to be 2 different MOCs? The two categories seem identical except one shows fighting and the other doesn't.

The status on builds and ships made before the launch of BoBS is that they may be used for story purposes to a certain degree but may not be used in the EGS, so no, you could not licence the ship. As to using it in a new MOC for the challenge, I don't think that is allowed either - one of the principle goals of Brethren of the Brick Seas is to improve its members building skills, so using MOCs built before kind of defeats the purpose pirate_look.gifpirate_laugh2.gif

So I really have to rebuild those ships :( well it is the fairest for everyone ofcourse :)

Edited by Maxim I

CGH, Nope! I mean, if you plan on licensing it too, then you might want to follow the game guidelines, otherwise, no.

CGH, Nope! I mean, if you plan on licensing it too, then you might want to follow the game guidelines, otherwise, no.

Is it poosible to show a ship in the contest with a 2-4 little selfmade connons and then through them away make new pics and license the ship without the cannons?

Is it poosible to show a ship in the contest with a 2-4 little selfmade connons and then through them away make new pics and license the ship without the cannons?

2-4 small cannons will not be a problem for the rating, as it is within creative limits of the classes.

Even a vessel with a gun rating of zero could/would typically have some armament, just not enough total firepower (size * number of guns) to earn a rating.

Hope this helps!

Also, is there a deadline for these challenges?

(...)

Due Date:April 1st, anywhere in the world.

(...)

(...)

Also, is there a deadline for these challenges?

Can I re-use a MOC for Cat A in Cat B showing the battle, or does there need to be 2 different MOCs? The two categories seem identical except one shows fighting and the other doesn't.

Yes, but it might not carry the same weight with some of the judges.

Can I use an "unlicensed" ship in the challenge MOC build? Or is there some rule issue?

Can I use an "unlicensed" ship in the challenge MOC build? Or is there some rule issue?

Yes. You can used unlicensed ships in the Challenges. The ships MOC for Challenges will not count as Freebuilds. Ships only need to be licensed if they are going to participate in the MRCA.