Hokum

"Simple" Power functions steam train help?

Hi all, I'm kind of new on Eurobricks, I have a 6 year old son who is mad about trains, steam trains in particular. He has had HO gauge trains in the past, but being autistic they receive too much love and with lego being rebuild-able and repairable we got him 60052 and 60050 for Christmas. I'd like to build a simple and tough steam style train for him.

Now I was into Lego when I was younger... about 20+ years ago, but with only just getting back into it I need a bit of help.

Can anyone help with pointing me to or helping me with designing a train which may well be taken to bed and hugged yet will work on a standard Lego track? I'm aware of brick link and don't mind ordering parts. I'm guessing something in the manor of 7722 would be possible but how to pack in all the pf gubbins?

To be honest, the best steam train Lego have produced (in my opinion) is #79111 Constitution Train Chase. Yes, #10194 Emerald Night is bigger and more impressive, but it also has flaws, whereas #79111 just works.

There's a thread on Brickset's forums about motorising it, which you can check out here. Basically, you just rebuild the tender with all the PF stuff in it, or put the PF stuff into one of the carriages.

To be honest, Lego steam trains are never going to be quite as tough and sturdy as the current passenger train or freight train, but if you base it on #79111, that's probably about as sturdy as you're going to get.

To be honest, the best steam train Lego have produced (in my opinion) is #79111 Constitution Train Chase. Yes, #10194 Emerald Night is bigger and more impressive, but it also has flaws, whereas #79111 just works.

There's a thread on Brickset's forums about motorising it, which you can check out here. Basically, you just rebuild the tender with all the PF stuff in it, or put the PF stuff into one of the carriages.

To be honest, Lego steam trains are never going to be quite as tough and sturdy as the current passenger train or freight train, but if you base it on #79111, that's probably about as sturdy as you're going to get.

For what it's worth, I just motorized my 79111 using the method described by Patent Pom in this video:

. The description has a list of necessary parts, and it's a quick and easy conversion. Mine works great! (This
was shot before I got the parts to complete the tender, but you get the picture. :classic: )

Constitution train engine has little bits that can fall off in bed. Maybe make it less detailed or something like your old 7722 would hold up better to being hugged. You can squeeze all the PF bits into a tender or box car.

Hmm so making it a tender drive like his Hornby Flying Scotsman? That should be pretty easy, thanks for the idea. I'll have a play around in a Lego cad app and see what I can make up.

I have to offer support for the 79111 Constitution train as well because it is a rugged build and can stand up to some serious play. In fact, I used many of the design elements of the 79111 in my 'Ghost Train' MOC because of the robustness of the design when compared to other Lego steam engine designs. YMMV, but power functions on the Constitution is a great Lego train for play. In my design, I added additional detail from the Monster Fighters Ghost Train to make my MOC, but you can certainly remove many of the detailed elements to make the Constitution more kid friendly. The key is to look at what is available and then build a customized piece that suits the needs of those that are playing with the train.

17292676392_d074d1298f_z.jpg

17294504975_c481911d06_z.jpg

The main thing is that whatever you decide to build make sure that it is an experience that you will enjoy and cherish for years to come. Having positive build memories makes playing with your Lego creation even more fun.