Trugga

Trugga says Hello

Greetings form the West Midlands in the UK

I guess being a child of the 60’s, I’m a AFOL.

My Lego introduction started as a babe in arms… my Father was a Salesman for a pneumatics company and received a lead at Lego in Wrexham. After many weeks of design and negotiation, the company won a contract to supply various machines (one of which inserted the steel axel pin into the 4-stud wheel. On a couple of occasions, my Father was invited to empty the paperwork from his briefcase (into the boot of his company car) and have it filled with a random selection of Lego bricks.

23476223753_7851e07d7c_c.jpg

www.loz.pics (241A5724) by Lawrence Fowler, on Flickr

As I grew up, birthdays and Christmas’s would bring other sets:

24102992465_dc0a4e0f51_c.jpg

www.loz.pics (241A5714) by Lawrence Fowler, on Flickr

23735200079_7f0dc28bbe_c.jpg

www.loz.pics (241A5708) by Lawrence Fowler, on Flickr

23994912132_0030f55a5e_c.jpg

www.loz.pics (241A5696) by Lawrence Fowler, on Flickr

Pocket money would then allow me to further add to my collection:

23994910872_9d03722c66_c.jpg

www.loz.pics (241A5706) by Lawrence Fowler, on Flickr

I (as well as my sister) used to do a lot of "freestyle" building, taking ideas from the ideas books, and whilst our colour set would not always match the the illustrations, it kept us quiet on many rainy summer holiday afternoons:

23807329890_a1746d3c1b_b.jpg

www.loz.pics (241A5712) by Lawrence Fowler, on Flickr

Then the forerunner of "Technic" appeared, or the sets with the red, blue & yellow cogs, white axels and red bushes - I was hooked. Then Technic made an appearnace - I really wanted that big red car, but had to settle for the Go Kart:

23474770094_b8aa24cb24_c.jpg

www.loz.pics (241A5722) by Lawrence Fowler, on Flickr

Interestingly, I left school with O'Levels in Technical Drawing and Woodwork (as well as Computer Science & Physics) and became an Indentured Apprentice at Lucas Electrical. Having also spent a few years in IT, I have returned to engineering in the guise of a CAD Design/Estimator - I wonder if Lego influenced my career path?

As an AFOL, I have a few other Technic sets (Pnematic Digger, the big red car with the pop-up headlights & Pnuematic Claw Crane) and have most recently (two weeks ago) "invested" in Mindstorm.

Hobbys include 4x4 competition (must get the truck fixed) and photography

23386368133_0e701def09_c.jpg

www.loz.pics (241A5554) by Lawrence Fowler, on Flickr

Over the Christmas break, I visited my parents and returned with our old Lego. Even though I soaked it overnight to try and clean 50 years of grime from it, it is still in a pretty poor state. I was also dissapointed to find many pieces broken (flags, streetlights, baseplates etc) and many peices have teeth marks [embarrased]. Still, I did enjoy building the models above over the last couple of days.

Oh, BTW - Lawrence - Lorry - Truck - Trucker - Trugga :-)

I trust this introduction is found interesting and in the spirit of the AFOL community.

Lawrence

Welcome to Eurobricks, Lawrence. I remember those 4 stud wheels with the metal pin and the 2x4 bricks they click in. Pretty cool, your dad sold machines to insert the metal pin.