CM4Sci

Unreleased/Cancelled LEGO Sets

I thought we only have a picture of two of the cancelled sets. Are there more?

I hadn't seen that cancelled set picture shown before. There is a (blurry) photo with what looks like prototypes/unmade sets/made sets (the one with the Watto bust). I think it was in that photo that you can somewhat make out the shapes of GS models in AC colours.

I can see where the prohibition set would have been canceled but wow I think that would've been a really cool set for grown-ups and adults.

I still believe there should still be the Grand Emporium as a set. It still goes great with any other modular building. They will probably build a revamped model of it later.

I still believe there should still be the Grand Emporium as a set. It still goes great with any other modular building. They will probably build a revamped model of it later.

But the Grand Emporium is a set? I own it...

Are you saying that the Emporium should have been on the shelves longer? That doesn't relate to the topic. :wacko:

I wish I could get the Last AirBender sets.

Please stay on topic. This thread is not about retired LEGO sets, but about sets that were meant to be released but never made it into production.

This was unreleased, but found in the LEGO vault:

1526-1.jpg?200807230636

I also know that LEGO had plans for expanding the Rock Raiders theme-- initially it was categorized as "Underground", rather than just "Rock Raiders", and they had a few things planned for a "wave 2" with other underground creatures. I've never seen any pictures, though.

A long time ago, I also heard from Tim Saupé that LEGO planned to make an AT-AT for its initial wave of Star Wars sets in 1999. However, they supposedly had a lot of difficulty with the legs, because all of their joints at the time were too flimsy to keep it standing up satisfactorily. Hence, it wasn't until LEGO designed the new "AT-AT knee joint" that we actually saw a LEGO AT-AT.

My wife worked at LEGO Futura a long while back, and basically said that LEGO has gobs of unreleased stuff that they keep on hand for designers to refer to. She said that often, people would come up with ideas that they thought were new only to be told "Yeah, we tested something like that a few years ago". And sure enough, they've still got the concept art, pictures of sketch models, and so forth. But obviously a lot of this never makes its way out the door to the hobbyist community.

DaveE

Edited by davee123

Here's another photo of that Classic Space set. I guess TLG did a mock-up of the box.

I'll have to try building it. I should have all those parts ;)

1526_box.jpg

Here's another photo of that Classic Space set. I guess TLG did a mock-up of the box.

I'll have to try building it. I should have all those parts ;)

I wonder why this was cancelled if they even had the box art ready to go and the set was complete....... :wacko:

I'm guessing it was too flimsy to work... I have been wrong before about these things, but that paneling doesn't look very stable at all. Too bad, it's a nicely done (if a bit weird...) design.

I was looking through the Updated Lego Star Wars Visual Dictionary and I saw this.

Hey can anyone get me a scan of this page? Need a better look at that set. :wink:

O man, now I'm sad... Would have loved to get some proper yellow elves.

Nice find btw

Thanks,i think they were planned to fight the orc army but they were replaced by dwarfs.

It seems that Castle 2007 was going to have elves.

http://www.brickshel...p/elf/elves.jpg

That image was the subject of a lot of controversy back when it was first revealed. Apparently a designer on the Castle team said that Elves were never planned, but we'll never know. Personally, the three set wave in 2009 looks very suspect (I.e. it only had three sets because the ones based on Elves were cancelled).

Heard about this before, but thanks for that picture. That skull castle is really ugly, and the other castle is fairly boring. I don't know why they always take things to extremes like this.

The big castle is quite nice in person actually, and I think most people like these sets because of the minifigs (I do, crownies are after vikings my favourite)

Anybody know what happened to...Power Miners vehicle 13?

Don't know if you eventually figured out what happened but...

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/lego/images/7/7b/8080PrototypePowerMiners.png/revision/latest?cb=20101105160559

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/lego/images/c/c3/8080PrototypePowerMinersTransformed.png/revision/latest?cb=20101105160735

This guy here is vehicle 13. Designed by Mark Stafford. These images (although taken from Brickipedia) were originally from an interview with Nabii that talked about designing sets. This was one set that was brought up during the "scrapped sets" portion of the interview.

It was later revealed that it wasn't scrapped. Instead they retooled it into the Undersea Explorer from the Atlantis theme.

In order to link it to its roots, they went as far to make the change canon in the Atlantis story, being that it literally was a Power Miners vehicle transferred to the Deep Sea Salvage Crew.

This is also the reason why Brains was transferred into the Atlantis story, all for the sake of established this connection, once the second, and unfortunately final year for the theme began.

It seems that Castle 2007 was going to have elves.

http://www.brickshel...p/elf/elves.jpg

I will have to look for it when I have time but I remember reading that an illustrator had a blank spot in the map and just made that up and that elves were never...ever...planned. They used to do things like this without realizing what it would mean to fanatics. Remember the Monorail track in the Space Police video? Yes, David Pagano had three pieces laying around and added it to the stop motion just to make it look more spacey.

Also, there's an entire tag for Unreleased sets on Brickset.