Hod Carrier

LEGO Trains - Golden Jubilee

As has been mentioned in the this thread, 2016 marks the 50th anniversary of LEGO trains. From the discussions there it seems likely that there won't be any official train launches in the New Year nor any indication that LEGO intend to celebrate this milestone.

And so it begs the question. If LEGO isn't bothered about this anniversary, how do we as a community of fans feel about it? Is there any appetite to do something special or different from the usual during 2016 to celebrate? If so, what suggestions do people have? Or do we share LEGO's apathy and not bothered about it either?

Over to you.

Id love to mark the occasion! I am open to ideas (I dont know what you're thinking of), but we might want to list trains that have an anniversary? I believe 2016 also marks the 40th anniversary for the HST.

If we're thinking of a collective MOC or something like that, we might want to consider multiple models as a single model won't please everyone. (European vs American?)

Id love to mark the occasion! I am open to ideas (I dont know what you're thinking of), but we might want to list trains that have an anniversary? I believe 2016 also marks the 40th anniversary for the HST.

If we're thinking of a collective MOC or something like that, we might want to consider multiple models as a single model won't please everyone. (European vs American?)

I like this idea. Perhaps a celebration of all the trains Lego has made. Im not too keen on the idea of "standards" though, since I think there are so many different styles in the community. Maybe to embrace the individuality and different styles in the community builders could celebrate the lego train history by interpreting their own personal favorite train in their style of building. I think it'd be fun to see the reimaginations of the classic sets from everyone.

The idea from CrispyBassist is nice. I can see many great projects with that idea. Mine would be a rebuild of 7898. But it isn't really a classic even though it was my first LEGO train.

Just some quick ideas:

You could have people:

1) Re-imagine their first lego train set ((if said set can be remembered))

2) Make an alternate build for their most favorite set

3) Make an alternate build for their least favorite set

4) Create an updated version of a set from a specific time constant, ie 10/20/30/40/50 years back

Just some quick ideas

At the very least I believe they should re-release one of the most solde/re-sold/loved train sets ever made from either the 4.5v era, 12v era, or 9v era. So for example set 4558/10001 or set 7740/7745 or Set 181 or maybe release like a taster pack that has a couple different engines all of these ideas could have power functions easily added or they could update one of these models with more modern molds and parts.

My 2 cents. C'mon Lego trains is what really kicked off your business in the first place

-RailCo

I say we celebrate it by raising already high prices higher and also reducing piece count and yet even more pieces molded into one that were separate bricks just a couple years ago........

Barring that(which will happen regardless lol) I say we should take a version of Sava'a Daylight and make a Lego Freedom Train out of it.

I say we celebrate it by raising already high prices higher and also reducing piece count and yet even more pieces molded into one that were separate bricks just a couple years ago........

Barring that(which will happen regardless lol) I say we should take a version of Sava'a Daylight and make a Lego Freedom Train out of it.

The Freedom Train suggestion gives me the idea to mix the Daylight in freedom colors with the Freedom Gundam from Gundam SEED.