Sign in to follow this  
Renegade Clone

[MOC] Upsilon-class command shuttle

23965621232_ffb2689d81_c.jpg

I’ve been working for the past three months on this project. After the 1:93 scale kit from Revell was released I reverse engineered the correct measurements and planned out a minifigure scale version.

The build consists of two wings and the central body. These are mostly finished with a little more work needed to lockdown the final assembly and stability issues. I should be able to include the boarding ramp and some interior elements.

Current size is 32cm (w), 44cm (l) and 56cm (h).

If you watched closely during the movie you will have noticed that the upper wings slide inwards and down behind the lower wings. However, the cross-sections book and schematics show retraction tracks to pull the wings inside the lower section. Much like the original design of the shuttle (which was painted white in early promotional material) this detail must have changed late in post-production. Once I get hold of newer reference material I can change the wing design.

For now I'll keep the wings in retracted mode, as a build with them deployed would be 96cm tall!

23778081850_b9462d7cef_c.jpg

23778078300_b4865b8b92_c.jpg

As I make more progress, I'll upload photos into the album. Hope you like it.

*oh2* Holy Moly! Fantastic looking and outstanding job on the design! The wings are freaking huuuge, 96 cm tall when deployed?!

I just take a wild guess and say that making this thing able to put the wings in flying position is impossible... i imagine these wings being really heavy and due to their length how much strength would you need on the central body to keep them stable and straight in their V-Wing position? Anything planned for that?

Also could you maybe make a picture that faces the front from the ground? Due to the build and angle you cant really see how much space there is between the central body and the ground, it looks like its lying flat on the ground...

And what about a shot from behind.... wanna see some engines :grin:

Edited by BigEl

Looks great, but this wasn't how the Upsilon-class Shuttle look like.

Here's what the Upsilon-class Shuttle are supposed to look like.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/d/d7/KyloRenCommandShuttle-Fathead.png/revision/latest?cb=20150908050616

The real Upsilon-class Shuttle has narrower wings than your's and the passenger loading/Cockpit section are supposed to been a little bit higher and wider.

Looks great, but this wasn't how the Upsilon-class Shuttle look like.

Here's what the Upsilon-class Shuttle are supposed to look like.

http://vignette1.wik...=20150908050616

The real Upsilon-class Shuttle has narrower wings than your's and the passenger loading/Cockpit section are supposed to been a little bit higher and wider.

Actually it is pretty accurate as compared to the schematics. Each grid square represents 2 studs squared.

23967183282_1604a82461_o.jpg

Great work! I think you changed my oppinion about this shuttle in general, also the use of dark grey looks fine on your MOC... It really seems that it's the quality and impression from detail what matters, not 100% color accuracy.

I blame disney for making so many last minute changes on this vessel... although most of them were actually beneficial, contributing to better look. I honeslty don't recall the inwards swing-down movement from the short scenes so I'm perfectly happy with this retraction :)

Oh and I'd also call for more pictures (I guess there is no flight mode though, is it?) from different angles.

That's magnificent! It's too big and too static for my tastes, but it's a marvelous piece of engineering. :thumbup:

Well, this is certainly a massive improvement over the Lego version.

It depends on what you're looking for, doesn't it?

...I honeslty don't recall the inwards swing-down movement from the short scenes so I'm perfectly happy with this retraction :)...

Those are the details you notice after the second, third and fourth viewing :wink: It's less of a 'swing' and more of a 'slide down.' Very subtle - and almost certainly a CG effect.

Great looking MOC, RC! The panel treatment and channel detail of the wings looks especially good. I, too, would really like to see more angles of the fuselage, as the 3/4 view you provided is making the snout look a bit too long and narrow. Either way, it's an impressive project - thanks for sharing!

Edited by lowlead

Hot potato! Most of my love for this model can be summed up thusly: when I saw that first picture, I didnt think it was Lego! I love everything about this model! And it's to scale, which is absolutely incredible!

Edited by Junior Shark

Wow, that looks perfect and you can tell a huge amount of work went into assessing the proportions and size. How many bricks are involved?

Wow!! This thing is incredible, especially in sheer size! If i could offer any criticism, it would be that the wings are a bit too thick (not a huge issue) and that the fuselage is much too narrow, and maybe a little bit too long. I think it would help to see a head-on view, so we could see the cockpit in context with the wings. Really impressive MOC. EDIT: I think it's interesting to note that the wing transformation is only seen in the movie, not ant of the trailers. When it lands, the wings fold in from the v-shape to become horizontal, and then the upper halves sort of slide inwards towards each other, and then slide down towards the fuselage. I don't know if such a mechanism is feasible with Lego, but there you have it.

Edited by IanZerbachov

Oh my, this is the definitive version of Kylo's Shuttle for sure. Can we see the wings extended?

Holy crap!! That's huge!!!! Also incredible one the greebles on the wings. Yours makes the TLC version look... really, really bad.

Blimey! That's a fantastic rendition of one of the nicest looking ships in TFA. Those wings are absolute wizardry, the greebles and the size of them. I am most impressed!

Holy crap!! That's huge!!!! Also incredible one the greebles on the wings. Yours makes the TLC version look... really, really bad.

I agree the detailing on the wings is superb! I don't think it makes TLG's version look bad, they are different models for different purposes. The cabin on 75104 is particularly good, and functional too.

This MOC would be awesome if the wings were completed, and could extend and swing outwards to form the V. From these pictures it's impossible to tell what the rest of the cabin and the engines look like, so it's hard to give a fair and complete judgement. The greebling on the wings is brilliant though :)

It looks good but the proportions seems a bit off.

After watching pictures of the movie version I have the same feeling, specifically the wings seem to be too thick and massive compared ot the central body. But then again we would need more pictures from different angles to judge it better.

Reference:

http://img.lum.dolimg.com/v1/images/kylo-ren_s-command-shuttle_0b43b874.jpeg?region=73%2C0%2C1754%2C878