When I first went to see Star Wars Episode 7 on opening night, I've been very sceptical. I've seen Star Wars - The Force Awakens three times now. I love this movie, because right off the bat it delivers what makes Star Wars so great: Likeable and interesting characters, both heroes and villains that are fascinating, and a story that is driven by characters taking action and not endless, boring expositional dialogue. Discounting the Star Wars TV-experience with The Clone Wars and Rebels animated series, both of which feature likeable characters and some well-written stories and arcs, Episode 7 was the first cinema-experience that truly felt like Star Wars since the not yet special-editioned Return of the Jedi. I personally rank Episode 7 at number 3, right after A New Hope and Empire, because it was a lot more character-driven than Return of the Jedi, had banter like Empire and was fast-paced without being annoying.

Rey and Kylo Ren are my favorite aspects of the whole movie - both are well-written and the acting delivers greatly. One of my favorite vehicles in the movie is Rey's Speeder. It doesn't have the legacy of a Millenium Falcon, the notoriety of TIE fighters, nor is it an icon like the X-wings, but it is a nicely designed vehicle that perfectly fits Rey as a character. It is like a huge jet-intake and fuel chamber feeding two vertically-mounted jets, and you sit on it like on a powerful bike, not like in a car as with Luke's speeder in a New Hope.

I've seen quite a lot of MOCs of this vehicle already, but none of them quite spoke to me, so this was an opportunity to have a go at my own. As anyone who knows my MOCs, while I have build some rather huge and mid-sized Star Wars Vehicles of all varieties, I do have a soft spot for speeders. What I was trying to achieve with this MOC was the narrow sleek shape of Rey's Speeder, the characteristic intake and have Rey in a riding position on it, not in a sitting position. I am quite pleased with the result, and I hope you like it too. As always, constructive criticism and comments are welcome. Now that Episode 7 has rekindled my interest in Lego Star Wars, you can bet more MOCs will come in the near future.

ReysSpeeder1.jpg

ReysSpeeder2.jpg

ReysSpeeder3.jpg

ReysSpeeder4.jpg

Edited by DarthTwoShedsJackson

This looks great, although it might be a little bit on the small side to my eye. Much better scale the the TLG release though. How is Rey actually held in position? It seems she's wedged in behind a grey stud... Would love to see a shot without a pilot/rider/driver.

This is definitely closer to the scale of the original... though personally I prefer the beefier version Lego cooked up simply because it's more impressive. Yes, yes -- I'm American; I'm enamored of all things large and in charge.

Did you use only the parts from the Lego version? I might get the set but I just want the Rey mini figure, but if I could build this I'd be willing to get the whole set.

Great! And if the movie means you make more MOCs, then all the better! All these Rey's speeder MOCs look similar after a while, but yours is pretty distinctive. Are you gonna put a net on the side?

Yay, wonderful! I could only imagine some stickers to improve the look, as for brick construction, you nailed it!

Hi Darth,

The front shot reminds me quite a lot of my own version of Rey's speeder but after looking at the side views of yours there are quite some differences after all.

I quite like your speeder although I think it is a bit too long. The original is about four metres long which is about the same as two figures. Yours looks like it is almost three figs long. :blush:

By the way, are you on IdS too?

Cheers,

Kit

Amazing MOC! I love it when people build things to scale. This is why I build MOCS rather than Buying Lego Sets.