Sign in to follow this  
Hobbythom

Winter Village: Coffee to go

Hi everyone!

It is with great pleasure that I post my first ever entry to a 'Expand the Winter Village' contest. This moc, Coffee to Go, got kickstarted by wanting to use the mid hull section of the Armada Flagship as a roof part. Everything else sort of flowed from there. On to the entry:

Coffee to go

What's better on a cold, cold day then some hot, hot coffee? You needn't worry any longer about taking off all those layers of clothing in order to sip some caffeine like in any other ordinary café on any given corner. This establishment servers coffee over the counter, right in your cold hands whilst you are standing on the very street which oozes the cold that is freezing your toes of. Now that is progress! People are lining up allready!

23940757262_40f47a7f60_b.jpg

On the left side you can see the owner (and father of the family that runs this fine operation) who realises he forgot his mittens.

23753233230_4911e20e8a_c.jpg

From the rear you can clearly see the different parts of the building. Downstairs is the preparation area from which cups are provided to the counter area and which can pass on dirty cups via the service elevator upstairs where dishes are being taken care of by mom (who drew the short stick today). Momentarily the son of the household is putting some icing on a cake.

24022809876_c6c63ee433_c.jpg

Coffee is freshly made by the daughter of the household, service with a smile!

24022813116_a41ebe8c99_c.jpgWinter Village Coffee to go get it here

Another satisfied customer!

24022814396_baf93fc7a2_c.jpg

More pics can be found here: hobbythom, on Flickr

I really like this and I think the business fits in perfectly with the Winter Village theme. Who doesn't appreciate a steaming cup on a cold day? I would be a frequent customer (if I could handle the cold in the first place).

Good luck and

Happy New Year!

Andy D

What a lovely build. The flesh and bright light yellow go very well together.

Nicely designed pot and great usage of the green whips.

Love the dish cloth!

Best of luck, and keep clicking those bricks together.

Not very much to it but the small details makes it lovely. Especially that coffee can sign is brilliant! Is that your own design? I also like that bycicle covered with layer of fresh snow. I wish that the building itself was executed a bit better, then it would easily compete for my favorite entry!

Thanks for the feedback. The coffeepot is indeed my own design. I even tried to add a cup and some coffee pouring out of it but it became to big. As I am allways looking for feedback: what do you mean by 'I wish that the building itself was executed a bit better'. Where do you see improvements possible?

You should be commended for your parts usage. The amount of bright light yellow elements is extremely limited. My personal village needs a building of this color, so I can't wait until Lego releases more elements in this color. Well done.

As I am allways looking for feedback: what do you mean by 'I wish that the building itself was executed a bit better'. Where do you see improvements possible?

Well, whole building makes the impression of comic painting rather that rendition of some real buidling. I appreciate your inventiv use of ship hull piece for the roof, yet I'm not sure whether it contributes to the look in a positive way. The whole snow cap on the top ironically looks a bit to much as some vintage 'cap' :laugh: Also the small sloped 'roof sections' on the side being amde just by classic 45° slopes are a bit neglected representation of roof covered by snow (no overhangs, no icicles). Next, while the cofee serving section is greatly placed cornerwise, it seems somewhat unfinished with those excessively simple tall 'windows' and arch on the front.

Don't get me wrong here - it's very nice model! (I'd struggle finishing something as good as this one, that's also why I passed my participation in contest :blush:) But certain elements (coffee can, and that green deco above, coffee machine, bike...) would classify it into 'absolute top' category, while the rest is just 'good' if you know what I mean :wink:.

@ The Lazy Chicken and New_Guy: thanks! Glad you liked it!

@ Kris and Kris: Thanks for taking the time to give further feedback. All your points are valid; something to remember for next year!

^ I always take the oportunity to sound celever :D Good luck and next year hopefully I finally throw something from myself in.

Edited by krisandkris12