Sign in to follow this  
Chromeknight

Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge RailRoad stock

I've put together some rolling stock based on the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge railroad in Colorado.

I've got 6 cars in yellow built, plus a brown box car and an car in red (bright red rather than the prototypical dark red/reddish brown). Here's a shot of three of them. Clicking it will take you to flickr with individual shots of the cars.

23393386213_19289e51a4_z.jpg

They're lettered, although the match with bright yellow isn't great and the text could stand to be twice as big.

I've got a Emerald Night in Black and grey as a stand in for the K-38 Mikados they run, that's this year's project to build, along with some larger scenery. You can see some test pieces the cars are sitting on.

They're lettered, although the match with bright yellow isn't great and the text could stand to be twice as big.

If you're using black lettering (or another dark color) I recommend transparent sticker paper. I've gotten it at the local office supply store and used it for black lettering on yellow brick before with great results.

I've got a Emerald Night in Black and grey as a stand in for the K-38 Mikados they run, that's this year's project to build, along with some larger scenery. You can see some test pieces the cars are sitting on.

K-28 perhaps? :-)

As a long time fan of the D&RGW, I've often pondered the difficulty of building an outside frame locomotive complete with the signature counter-weights. If not had any brain-storms regarding that dilemma but it would have to be a very large model (I think about 10 wide) to run on Lego track and look right. Also, some 3d printed parts (like said counter-weights) would be necessary.

Good looking coaches!

Gcarstensen has built one, using technic pieces as the counter weights, see

pc120118.jpg

And yes, I got the class number wrong, they're K-36s (not 28 :-) or 38s) D&SNG operates four of them, I'd be happy with one.

Edited by Chromeknight

Well I'll be darned. While not a true outside frame, that certainly captures the look and feel of the K-36! Those are some really nice looking trucks on that tender, too. Nice to see American equipment without the European wheel sets.

Hi, I recently saw a documentary on the Durango & Silverton; I really enjoyed the scenery but also the train, because trains are my passion. As I build with LEGO came to my mind to achieve as soon as I finish the Bernina Line this train and I started collecting photographs. I saw your cars and I was excited: are fantastic; sincere congratulations. If you want to share the file .lxf ... I would be grateful