mitchlt

Half Life 1 Lego Moc

Hello all, just finished creating my first full blown custom Moc - custom decals were involved, a bit of paint and even a 3D printer.

As you all can imagine I am a big Half Life fan and have been for ages so it only seemed natural to take advantage of the great decals that LuxorV created and give it a shot. I have posted a number of pics below as well as some screen shots from the game itself so that those that have not played can have an understanding of where my color scheme and designs came from.

I also have to give credit to some random person on Youtube for the vending machine idea. I was having a bit of a hard time figuring out how to get really close to the vending machines in the game.

I have built "Black Mesa" in modular form so that I can continue to expand it. I have one expansion already on the way, but it will take a while to complete since i have a ton of Bricklink orders coming in from all over, and am still a bit stumped for how I want to finish off a few sections.

Half%20Life%201%20Lego-%20Running%20from%20Zombie_zps76hnnkbs.jpg

Untitled-1_zpswrxn0va2.jpg

Render1_zpslqkttftm.png

Half%20Life%20Lego%201%20-%20Lab_zpsh149ls6i.jpg

Lab3_zpszec48uln.jpg

glock_release11_002_zpsizrjjtll.jpg

53520_zpszloqd7kg.jpg

Half%20Life%201%20Lego-%20G%20Man_zps0ynggnoo.jpg

Half%20Life%201%20Lego%20-%20waiting%20for%20the%20train_zpshlopcq76.jpg

Ylmfw2E_zpswwq9tgel.jpg

Half%20Life%201%20Lego%20-%20Turning%20the%20Valve_zpsgjp1wvet.jpg

Hope you guys like it!

Edited by mitchlt

Nice work it's looking good so far, I'm hesitant to say this but what really sticks out for me is that the custom headcrab while it looks very good looks very out of proportion compared to the minifig(head) size.

(and also a bit out of place, although that does make it more 'alien').

Edited by Isundir

Awesome! As a HL fan since 1998, this is instantly recognisable. The Black Mesa facility really lends itself well for a Lego creation, and you've nailed it! A nicely assorted brick collection is like a physical WorldCraft!

One suggestion though - wouldn't this be a better face for Gordon?

3626cpb0803.jpg

http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=3626cpb0803

Thanks for the comments guys. You are absolutely correct Isundir, the headcrab is very disproportionate and it drives me nuts. It is a bit of a love hate relationship because a half life moc is just not complete without a headcrab, I just have no idea why the scaling of it is so large. I wish I could skip the 3D printer and figure out a way to make it from Lego so the whole thing could be more pure.

As for the Gordon Freeman head; I wish there was one right in between what I have on him now and what you have posted. They both have good elements.

It's great to see those old decals in use, finally!

Thanks for sharing your very detailed creation and your love for this theme, mitchlt. :thumbup:

Headcrabs, why does it allways have to be headcrabs... I HATE HEADCRABS.... *where's my crowbar*.....

Awesome moc :D

Nice moc of a Classic game - those opening levels were completely mind-blowing at the time it was released. Interesting to see the original in-game floor texture looks alot like lego studs. That's handy!

The Black Mesa facility really lends itself well for a Lego creation, and you've nailed it! A nicely assorted brick collection is like a physical WorldCraft!59.gif

Edited by tvoingoo

Nice moc of a Classic game - those opening levels were completely mind-blowing at the time it was released. Interesting to see the original in-game floor texture looks alot like lego studs. That's handy!

LOL I thought the same thing when I saw it- how convenient. I also love the tiled floor. So classic, simple to do, but very satisfying every time.

Not to hijack my own thread, but I was just looking at that Alien build you did missing brick, that's phenomenal. You seem to have figured out the science of sci-fi facility building.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I hope my next additions are as well received.

Lego Black Mesa mocs are so rare. This is amazing. Gman's face is perfect. The only odd thing is the headcrab which is too big. But other than that, great work.

I am definitely going to spend some time thinking about the headcrab. The 3D printing route is sooooo expensive right now, and it did not come out right the first time, which makes me nervous about a second run (which would require a finished product at least half the size).

I have seen a few head crab designs online made completely out of lego pieces and there is one in particular that looks really good that I am working on scavenging the pieces for. Keep you guys posted when I have something a little better.

Edited by mitchlt

While it isn't perfect, would a slightly modified Kraang work? I don't know much about this game.

I've recently been getting into sci-fi building, so this has some neat ideas thrown in. Keep up the good work.

Looks fantastic and very well detailed to the source material. HL1 and HL2 are some of my favorite games of all time.

HL, end of the 90s.. my first thought. Hehe. Very cool indeed. Really like what you made here. Very well done!

I have seen a few head crab designs online made completely out of lego pieces and there is one in particular that looks really good that I am working on scavenging the pieces for. Keep you guys posted when I have something a little better.

This sounds good! :thumbup:

As promised; a whole bunch of new pictures of the Half Life 1 Moc that I first posted back a couple of months ago. The new section I created is from the office portion of the game; a scene I feel like is quintessential to the game and memorable to anyone who played it like I did. I added a few features in particular that i thought stood out:

1. Red fire doors;

2. The vent system that you need to crawl through and always find a head crab or two;

3. A functional, sketchy elevator with a ceiling escape door and of course a ladder in the elevator shaft;

4. An office with all the stuff you would see in the game from the green carpet to bookshelf- this is the same office you need to blow the wall up to access;

5. Wall colors and tile patterns are also the same; and

6. An armoury with lots of half life guns (magnum, shotgun, rifle) knife and a HEV battery.

I also took the advice of many of you on here and created new head crabs (credit to a random person on Flickr named Hessianizer- he nailed the headcrabs bang on in my mind). I think both the zombie and stand alone head crabs came out way better and more authentic then the 3d printer could produce.

Anyway, here it is with a few scenes from the game!

20160227_092303-1_zpskggwrdq9.jpg

20151212_203419_zps0k7brbjz.jpg

20151212_202633_zpshtktjmop.jpg

20160227_091956-1_zpsctr9uxbw.jpg

2016-01-23%2016.42.57-1_zpsuvypgeuj.jpg

20160227_093639-1-1_zpsbkm26m7k.jpg

20160227_090003_zpsuorielaz.jpg

20160227_090435-1_zps3kmphuzp.jpg

20160227_090737_zpsso2zeqbs.jpg

20160227_102205-1_zpscaog85qm.jpg

and that's that!

Perfect head crab! Awww man the memories of when I was a kid playing this game and getting so scared by the zombies. I love your rendition of the game its so rare we get Half Life mocs now that the game is gettng very old.

Will we get a third wave of MOCs or like valve will you mysteriously vanish after two? :P

These are incredible. The new headcrab is really good and the look and feel of the game is captured perfectly.

LOL. Classic. And in a valve like response to your question about the possibility of a half life moc episode 3 "we'll keep moving forward. But that doesn't necessarily always mean what people are worried that it might mean."

Thanks for the feedback all!

Perfect head crab! Awww man the memories of when I was a kid playing this game and getting so scared by the zombies. I love your rendition of the game its so rare we get Half Life mocs now that the game is gettng very old.

Will we get a third wave of MOCs or like valve will you mysteriously vanish after two? :P