blackdeathgr

Hermol d'Offren's Portrait

Hugo's father was the famous general Hermol d' Offren, with a huge painting of his still adjourning their nearly dilapidated cottage back home. Hermol was among king's most capable generals when one acute disagreement with a wealthier aristocrat threw him out of favor rather quickly.

23705304780_6738a1bd4f_c.jpg

Edited by blackdeathgr

Very cool! I can't wait for someone to put together an art gallery of MOCs designed to look like BoBS related paintings!

Excellent idea to do a scene like this as a painting, and very nice execution as well! :thumbup: It might have been a bit nicer if you could have blurred the background a little, but I doubt that would really be practical with it so close to the minifig! :grin:

Thanks guys for your kind words!

The idea was in my head a couple of days before we begin BoBS, as at this universe/time, many wealthy people commissioned painters to "immortalize" them through art. Now that i think of it maybe Colonization by Sid Meier and a painting of Napoleon played some role in this :)

At first i thought it would be a lame free-build, being more of a vignette rather than an actual free build (especially by looking at other fantastic free-builds) but time is a bit pressing these days so i gave it a go.

@SkaForHire: I can make more painting-vignettes relating to big events (e.g. land discovery etc) or important people (providing that i have the necessary minifig parts ofc) here at BoBS if you want me to, with a matching background each time. Just "commission" me when the time comes. It would be an honor.

@Garmadon: Alas in order to photograph this MOC, i had to wait till morning, then take it to my balcony and after 656463 photos, this one was the best (so to speak). The most difficult thing to do while photographing it was to capture the light at the background too because the fig shadowed it :( I had to unearth an old Samsung with a broken glass in order to photograph it as Moto G doesn't have a decent camera. What can i say, LEGO bricks get the best of my salary :P

Edited by blackdeathgr

Awesome idea!!! It reminds me of the (painted) sculptures in a box that can be found in churches! :D

This is a neat concept and it turned out pretty good. The lighting looks difficult, but it adds a little mood to the scene that a painting would surely capture, and I like it that way. The flags are somewhat distracting but besides that this is fine. I agree that more scenes of this nature would be cool...

Very good idea! Paintings must surely be an important part of the culture of this world.

I would humbly suggest that the leadership consider paintings as a challenge category sometime :wink:

Simple. Only a few parts. Effective.

It totally works, such a great idea and also very well executed. Keep it on!

BTW I totally second what Gideon said ;-).